BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

Replacement Steel Beaded clutch line

5K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  Sand groper K1200RS 
#1 ·
Im in Tucson. Want to replace my clutch line. It's original on my 2000 K12RS. Spiegler doesn't make them. I checked Dennis Kirk, no go. Any other suggestions?

#4 ·
It is very hard to bleed all the air out of this line. Try filling from the bottom up with a pressure bleeder like a phoenix system. If you still can not get all the air out, tie your clutch lever to the grip over night. In the morning take the lid off the reservoir and work the lever while tapping on the side of the reservoir with a screwdriver handle. You will see small bubbles come up through the fluid. Work until firm. You may need to do this more than one night.
https://www.amazon.com/Phoenix-Syst...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
(you can never use this for brake fluid once used for hydraulic mineral oil, and also the other way around)

#6 ·
It is very hard to bleed all the air out of this line. Try filling from the bottom up with a pressure bleeder like a phoenix system. If you still can not get all the air out, tie your clutch lever to the grip over night. In the morning take the lid off the reservoir and work the lever while tapping on the side of the reservoir with a screwdriver handle. You will see small bubbles come up through the fluid. Work until firm. You may need to do this more

than one night.
https://www.amazon.com/Phoenix-Syst...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
(you can never use this for brake fluid once used for hydraulic mineral oil, and also the other way around)

Not sure what you are replying to!
I’m going to replace my clutch line.
I’m not trying to bleed them

#8 ·
You don’t seem to hear about the clutch line perishing, mind you, it’s relatively short and doesn’t carry the pressure brake lines carry. Clutch fluid is always very clean when I change it, and if I found any evidence of the brake line starting to degrade internally I’d do something about it. I thought about replacing it years ago only to match the new stainless brake line exiting the MC. Forgot about after a while.

#19 ·
I have just received a new stainless clutch line (hose) from Probrake in Germany (www.probrake.de), which look to be good quality. I cant tell you what the price was in USD but I got a complete set - front and rear brakes + clutch for about $350 AUS. I know airmail was another $100 AUS so I got it surface, it took about 3 months to get here.
The reason I decided to change the clutch hose.. I was riding long distances (300+ miles per day) for 5 days in a week, in summer (+110 F in the shade) and when the bike got hot (after an hour or so), gear changes got stiff. I thought "time to lube the gear linkage", so when I stopped, I did that, (took about an hour), went for a quick run -all good! Anyway to cut a long story short, the problem came back and when I pulled up for fuel couldn't get it into neutral and the clutch was not completely disengaging. After sitting down and thinking about it, i decided that the problem must be heat related, (because the clutch worked faultlessly when the bike was (relatively) cool. The clutch and brake hoses are original, so time to replace them anyway I guess. The engine temp wasn't showing hot by the way and I was sitting on around 80mph for most of the time, and it was VERY hot. I haven't put the new hoses on yet anyway its winter now so I will have to wait for summer (and be forced to ride in those conditions again) to see if that's fixed things. I have taken the bike for several longish rides since then, with no issue, but without the high temperatures.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.