Odd (rear) brake problem - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 2006, 4:56 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Odd (rear) brake problem

What can I say, it was my weekend for weird problems.

Pulled the rear wheel for tire change over the weekend, peeked at the rear pads and noticed them down to tissue paper. Fortunately, being the far-sighted individual I am, I had ordered replacement pads earlier from Dennis Kirk, and proceeded to pop them in... not.

Problem was that the replacement EBC kevlar pads were *just* a bit wider (maybe 2-3mm) than the stock pads, and wouldn't fit in the calipers. I spent a lovely 90 minutes filing down the edges to get them to fit.

These were EBC part # FA171. I called Dennis Kirk today and reported the problem - they confirmed those were supposed to be the proper fit for a '98 KRS, and pulled some of those and other brands, said they were all the same width. So now I don't know if I got ONE set of off pads, or if something strange is going on with my bike specs.

Can anyone confirm those pads working on their bike, or alternately, were there some variances in brake calipers on the early KRS? Other thoughts?

KeS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 2006, 6:20 pm
Enthusiast

Did you make sure the caliper pistons were pushed in all the way? The new pads should be tight - not so tight that they will not go in.

Bruce
Easthampton, MA
07 K1200S
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 2006, 6:23 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Clarification - the pads were too WIDE, not too thick. The actual backing plates wouldn't fit in the calipers.

KeS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 2006, 6:45 pm
Enthusiast

Sure sounds like wrong pads. Maybe they were packaged wrong. Try another set to compare. Good luck.

Bruce
Easthampton, MA
07 K1200S
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 2006, 9:35 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucev
Sure sounds like wrong pads. Maybe they were packaged wrong. Try another set to compare. Good luck.
According to the EBC application guide on EBC's web site, the proper pad for the rear of a '98 is FA18/FA18HH, not FA171. What's more, the EBC application guide lists FA171 to be the pads for the front calipers of earlier bikes. (see p. 28 of the EBC 2006 Acrobat file; also see the buyer's guide that begins on p. 68 - illustrations of all the pads are available for a quick visual comparison)

If I'm reading all of this right, something is definitely not jiving here.

Black 2002 K1200RS - "The Beast" (over 100k miles)
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 2006, 3:10 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Awesome, the EBC web site is what I was looking for!

Hmm, well, the FA171 doesn't really look like any front pad I've ever seen (most of those are more arc-shaped and larger). It does *look* like the rear pad, rectangular, almost square, and all the holes and indents are in the right place. I wouldn't have installed anything that was obviously not a fit.

Let me look through the catalog and see what I can find, I'll re-post. Thanks again.

KeS
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 2006, 3:49 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Ok, you're exactly right - the FA171 is 57.7mm wide, and the FA18 (correct pad) is 55.7 wide. I called Dennis Kirk and got them straightened out, they gave me a $15 credit for my trouble (reasonable). Thanks again for the reference to the EBC catalog, that's what I was looking for!

KeS
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 2006, 10:47 pm
Addict

That's what we're here for: to right that which is wrong, to straighten that which is crooked, to fix that which needs fixing, and........um, never mind.

Black 2002 K1200RS - "The Beast" (over 100k miles)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode