Insurance - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 52 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2006, 2:04 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Insurance

Let me start out by saying that I am in total shock. I currently have have 2 Ducatis (750 & 748) insured thru Progressive, full coverage, low deductible...total premium for both bikes= $847.00
I called Progressive to add the '02 K1200RS... Full coverage is $2033!!! (BMW alone)
WTF??? I am 40 years old, married w/ 2 kids, clean record, clean credit, (live in NYC)...I called a few other companies and had similar qoutes.
I understand that the CC is what sets the price but I was floored.
Is this what others are paying as well????

Jack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2006, 5:07 pm
Enthusiast

Except for the kids I'm in the same demographic and I also have Progressive.

My wife and I have two K1200S', a Kawasaki ZRX1200 and a Triumph Sprint ST (955cc). We have full coverage on all but the Kawi and rather high deductibles ($5000... by choice).

We pay about $1260 per year total (4 bikes).

His and Hers K1200S'
His: <strike>'05 Indigo Blue</strike>
Hers: '06 Granite Gray
post #3 of 52 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2006, 5:33 pm
Addict

98 RS here, 49, non smoker, single male, 500 deduct, under 500 thru Progressive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 52 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2006, 5:54 pm

Geico Motorcycle Ins

'02 K1200RS, 48 years old, Full coverage, $500 deductable, CALIFORNIA (!),
Geico - under $700 a year

Good luck...

"Lord, Be Kind to Me....the Sea is
So Big, and My Boat is SO Small"

2002 K12RS
Dave
post #5 of 52 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2006, 7:27 pm
Enthusiast

Unhappy

'04 K1200GT full coverage, '76 R/75/6 liability and comp, '03 Honda Reflex liability and comp. $400.00 per year. 2 riders both over 45. Don't know what is going on but I am hearing scary numbers. All with Progressive. I really don't like Progressive.

Wow I didn't know BMW made motorcycles, Yeah I think Honda does too.
post #6 of 52 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2006, 8:15 pm
Rookie

What's up with Progressive?....I am 52 years old, spotless record, zero claims over 14 years stretching back to an old k75, California driver blah, blah, blah.

I had a 96 k1100 at Progressive for +/- $400. Looked into the 1200S and the insurance cost was a dealbreaker (Over $2,000 at Progressive!, lowest was $1600 thru others...still too high)
Bought one of the last 2004 k1200GTs. Progressive was still over $1400. Finally went with Markel/Bike-line @ $700.

...Insurance rates make no sense to me...I believe it's part science, part whim, part voodoo
<shrug>

russell

"In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king."
post #7 of 52 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2006, 8:18 pm
Veteran

Jack
Your Zip Code is most of the problem.

Bruce C

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
post #8 of 52 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2006, 8:37 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Unhappy better news

So, I called them back and started breaking everything down by premium, by bike, by deductible, etc...anyway they fiddled with the numbers, brought up different discounts, got badgered by me for a while and brought the qoute down to approx $1400...a big difference from $2033. Still a big nut but just goes to show that it pays to haggle. I just feel sorry for the thousands of people that just roll over and pay.

I do agree that my zip code has a lot to do with it. Comp & collision are the most expensive and Progressive doesn't give you a choice of 1 or the other. I personally don't want theft (I never leave it unattended in Manhattan) but want collision just in case...the cab drivers are brutal.

It's also CC in their opinion. I explained "for god's sake...this bike has luggage", it's meant for touring...My Ducatis are both red...everyone knows that red bikes are the fastest and most desirable to thieves....they giigled but didn't agree. : )

Anyway...I'm pulling the comp & collsion on the BMW and the older Duc...I'm down to approx $700 for all 3 bikes.
post #9 of 52 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2006, 9:54 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacK12rs
So, I called them back and started breaking everything down by premium, by bike, by deductible, etc...anyway they fiddled with the numbers, brought up different discounts, got badgered by me for a while and brought the qoute down to approx $1400...a big difference from $2033. Still a big nut but just goes to show that it pays to haggle. I just feel sorry for the thousands of people that just roll over and pay.

I do agree that my zip code has a lot to do with it. Comp & collision are the most expensive and Progressive doesn't give you a choice of 1 or the other. I personally don't want theft (I never leave it unattended in Manhattan) but want collision just in case...the cab drivers are brutal.

It's also CC in their opinion. I explained "for god's sake...this bike has luggage", it's meant for touring...My Ducatis are both red...everyone knows that red bikes are the fastest and most desirable to thieves....they giigled but didn't agree. : )

Anyway...I'm pulling the comp & collsion on the BMW and the older Duc...I'm down to approx $700 for all 3 bikes.

It's cheaper for ya to buy a home upstate. I never got a quote @ 10024, but upstate (76 miles north of the city)I pay $380. Moving all my coverages to Allstate and they quoted me $367 with 250/500 plus all the bells and whistles. $500 ded upon my next renewal.
post #10 of 52 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2006, 10:20 pm
Addict

My insurance outfit bills me every six months, and to add the Beast on was another $225 on top of the $135 I already pay. Not too shabby. Of course, I got lucky - my bikes are insured through Allstate, and I was able to get in just before they slammed the door shut on writing any new motorcycle policies.

Black 2002 K1200RS - "The Beast" (over 100k miles)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode