BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

K1200GT Gear Oil

3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  bluejay 
#1 ·
I'm going to be changing my engine oil this week on my '04 K1200GT and figured I'd go ahead and change the transmission and final drive oil as well. Question is, I've got a bunch of Valvoline 80W-90 gear oil left over form an old VW and airhead I recently sold. The oil is sealed in the original containers and was purchased only a few months ago. I read a lot about all the fancy synthetic RedLine-BMW-this-and-that type gear oils people are using, and I'm wondering if I should pitch the stuff I have in favor of what's on the top shelf. I always wrestle with the tendency to want to use everything and not be wasteful. What do you guys think? Should I donate my standard gear oil stash to my VW friends, and bite the bullet and buy the good stuff; or am I going to be safe with the run-of-the-mill, $2 a quart swill? Your thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks!
Doug

#4 ·
Thanks for sobering me up, boys. The rot-gut will be appreciated by my old time VW friends. It's damn reckless, but I'll be at Autozone bright and early for a shot of Mobile 1, 75/90, straight up. If any of you see me lurking the oil products and accessories isles tomorrow, please don't tell my wife; she thinks I'm out of town on a business trip...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.