It Moves!!!! - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 2005, 11:55 pm Thread Starter

It Moves!!!!

I purchased this k1200rs a few months ago at a Salvage dealer in my area. Price was $1700, It had High Mileage and a big gaping hole in the valve cover. I figured I could use a Project and the K seemed like a worthy one from the reviews I read.

On the weekends I fixed various things wrong with it , Radiators, Fairing Brackes, Pegs, added Spiegler lines and some of the touring pegs. Ive spent way too much time on the fairings ( I got the nice red ones off some guy in Ebay, dont let them fool you, they are utter crap. 40% bondo, Ive wasted more money on getting other fairings so I can eventually get something working )

I spent today putting in some of the lastpieces to make it complete ( still a few more pieces with the windscreen mounting .. ack! ) I was getting a bit depressed about the project. Having doubts about whether or not Ill be able to even RIDE this thing after its over (Im pretty short, plus Im not 100% sure Ill be able to handle a bike this big, Ive ridden other bikes before, but Im still relativly new ) But I decided that I needed to at least take it around the block ...

And I did But there is a lot of smoke coming from this. Hopefully Ill get to that soon.

Just thought Id share here.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 2005, 12:32 am

The after photo looks great. The "in progress" photo looks daunting so I can see whey you might be a little bit dispaired...but, from what I've read, the good news is that the smoke is likely from long periods sitting on the sidestand. Oil runs past the rings in this sideways engine...I recommend a long, fast ride to make sure you have it all burned out. just stay out of jail. Cheers, Jerry
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 2005, 6:21 am
"Hey Y'all"

Looks like you've done a fine job of resurecting the RS. Here's a link to a recent thread on sidestand parking and smoke.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 2005, 10:25 am

on the other hand

it looks like the bike did a long slide grinding away the valve cam cover=if the motor ran for any length of time with no oil,and from what I've heard seconds is all it take, then the motor might have some real internal damage.Other wise if not ,then you have a very affordable K12.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 2005, 8:59 pm

runs

Interesting project. Is it possible to put it back together and still keep your investment below market value? Seems like you'd only have to buy a few parts before you blow right past market value. Check the Max BMW online fiche: new frame $2800, new motor $7800, etc, etc. Is this something you'll keep or sell?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 2005, 9:42 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbohn
Interesting project. Is it possible to put it back together and still keep your investment below market value? Seems like you'd only have to buy a few parts before you blow right past market value. Check the Max BMW online fiche: new frame $2800, new motor $7800, etc, etc. Is this something you'll keep or sell?
Where is the online fiche?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 2005, 9:51 pm

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 2005, 3:14 pm

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbohn
The diligent useage of duct tape will keep those costs down.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 2005, 5:20 pm
Addict

bhaynnes
site curmudgeon

how did you get promoted?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 2005, 5:41 pm

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmith1953
bhaynnes
site curmudgeon

how did you get promoted?
Made that one up before the site went live.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode