K12 synthetic - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 2005, 9:59 am Thread Starter
Rookie

Cool K12 synthetic

I need advice on which oil and viscosity you recommend for my next oil change.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 2005, 11:55 am

Question

How many miles? Of primary importance when asking this question.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 2005, 12:06 pm

Any high-quality synthetic, preferably a motorcycle oil. I've used BMW synth, Mobil One (but have moved away from this, there are questions about the additive packages in the SJ oils not being adequate for MC use), and Honda synthetic. A lot depends upon how frequently you want to change oil and how you use the bike. I tend to put on miles in large chunks, not daily commuting, so will typically run my oil 6k between changes. There have been times out on the road for days at a time, where I've had the oil dropped at 5k or so but not changed the filter until I get home and did the next service at 10k or so. One big advantage to the Honda synth is that it's widely available, there are a lot more Honda dealers around than BMW dealers. Just remember that oil, and *high-quality BMW filters*, are the cheapest part of bike maintenance no matter what they cost. If you want to save money on maintenance oil/filters is not the place to do it IMHO.

Best,

GTRider
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 2005, 12:14 pm
No bogey's twist wrist

Smile synthetic oil

just my opinion based by 15 years of oil analysis at work in hydraulic motors and machine gearboxes. Synthetic is not vodoo oil it will not keep rings from seating or parts from wearing. It does have different properties relative to the different blends purpose. I put synthetic in first oil change and after 11500 miles have no problems noticed. Can sit on the sidestand for a few hours without the dreaded smoky ignition, haven't tried longer yet. Any how synthetic oil is for the most part synthesized dino oil with different anti wear additives for longer life. There a a few that are a pure synthetic stock non-paraffin based. Not mobile one. Synthetic oil is higher heat handling and has a longer lasting package of anti-wear zinc and phosphorous to name a couple. Changing the oil every 3000 doesn't run the risk of ruining most major oils, every 5000 most synthetics. Proper viscosity for your region is probably more critical due to start up wear. In short use what you like and don't over think it. Believe me if the BMW oil was voodoo oil it would be known through the free world shortly and you couldn't buy it without a bank transfer.

If it's got curves ride it.
life member NRA, GOA and Tennessee Firearms Owners Association.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 2005, 12:41 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks for the info. I am definitely going synthetic, I run it in all my vehicles. My bike has 25K , which viscosity on the upper end 40W or 50 W would you recommend. I live in Colorado so it can get a lot colder than I am willing to ride in.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 2005, 1:08 pm

Question who makes BMW synth?

I was under the assumption that spectro makes the BMW synthetic oil. Correct me if I'm wrong.

ONON-
Mark
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 2005, 2:00 pm
No bogey's twist wrist

Talking Bmw

I think I also read Spectro makes the BMW synthetic, I believe unless you live in a real hot climate the 10w 40 is appropriate for our bikes. There is more exhausting information on the net from several points of view, usually done by a BMW group or afficionado. Wonder why. I am baseing my opinion on Oil analysis we have done at the Castrol labs and Dexter dexcheck oil sampling. But synthetic is the way to go for sure.

If it's got curves ride it.
life member NRA, GOA and Tennessee Firearms Owners Association.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 2005, 2:33 pm

Colorado oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvreschar
Thanks for the info. I am definitely going synthetic, I run it in all my vehicles. My bike has 25K , which viscosity on the upper end 40W or 50 W would you recommend. I live in Colorado so it can get a lot colder than I am willing to ride in.
I'm also in Colorado. I use BMW full synth 15W-50. I also use their synth gearbox lube.
Mark
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 2005, 2:54 pm

Thumbs up nothing but synth.

I run nothing but synth in my machine.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 2005, 3:00 pm
cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvreschar
I need advice on which oil and viscosity you recommend for my next oil change.
Canola oil is supposed to be very good.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode