Windscreen related noise - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 2005, 6:39 pm Thread Starter
Riding in company

Windscreen related noise

One of my first observations about this new bike is that there is a lot of wind noise. Really a lot, and I didn't remember that from my days on my Bonnie. Then I read that the noise is from windscreen-generated turbulence. I tried standing on the pegs to put my head in clean air and things went really quiet. Winter may not be the best time to do the experiment, but I wonder if a lower, so-called "sport" screen might be quieter than the stock.

Another benefit of a smaller screen would probably be more wind on my chest. I remember that I used to get enough enough breeze at full chat to float my torso; I could just hang there with no weight on my wrists....I wouldn't mind getting that back. Please teach me about windscreens. Thanks, Bill

BillA
Jersey Shore
K1200RS '04
BSA Victor '68ish
Club Car golf cart '92
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 2005, 7:23 pm
No bogey's twist wrist

Smile windshield noise

You are right on about the windshield noise, for the summer I put the Ztech short dark on my GT and it was super quiet with my Arai helmet. As it got colder lately I put the GT windshield back on, could not believe the noise! I had bought a parabellum from a guy on the site and put that on, it was a little taller than the GT and the noise is diminished a lot, probably as quiet as the Ztech. I will use the parabellum for the winter and Ztech for the summer. Rode it tonight should be around 40 when I go home great riding weather.

If it's got curves ride it.
life member NRA, GOA and Tennessee Firearms Owners Association.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 2005, 11:46 pm

Talking Wind Noise

Ditto the effectiveness of the Ztechnik sport screen, especially the one with the "double bubble" shape. I also have a '99 Triumph Tiger and did the same modification by buying the Triumph accessory, wind noise and buffeting is eliminated....yes more wind on my chest but very manageable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 2005, 12:32 am

Interesting, because my '03 Honda CBR954 was much quieter. The wind hit me at chest first. When I picked up my new '04 KRS last week, I noticed immediately the wind hit me higher than my Honda. It was noticeably noisier. Windscreen up or down, no difference. The next day I bought the GT windscreen and found the noise was way more acceptable but not totally diminished. I have been riding with the GT windscreen full up.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode