Updated ECU's? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 71 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 2005, 1:32 am Thread Starter

Updated ECU's?

I've been reading on this forum that some of you have had your ECU's replaced for driveablity issues (RS's and GT's).

Could anyone clue me in what were the symptoms that lead to the need of ECU replacement?

If you had experienced performance issues, did BMW replace this at no cost?

Is BMW honoring some kind of 'no questions asked' replacement under warranty through December? ( provided you made some legit complaint)

And finally, did your new ECU perform any better than the old ECU? I have the '04 RS.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 71 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 2005, 8:29 am
Enthusiast

ECU replacement

My 03 GT never had any problems. I've slept many times since I last read about the ECU replacement but from what I recall the symptoms are poor, unsteady idle and lower fuel economy.

David Littlefield
Clute, TX
09 K1300S
70 Commando
post #3 of 71 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 2005, 9:15 am

i had my ecu replaced on my 03' zebra last year . made a world of difference in throttle response and acceleration at speed during throttle roll-on. bought the bike new and from day 1 it would die on initial drive off at first stop light. also had a flat spot on run up. all solved with ecu replacement. 26k miles and 40 plus mpg.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 71 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 2005, 10:01 am
Enthusiast

I had the CPU replaced on my '04 GT

The symptoms on my bike were exactly those which I recall as first getting my attention over at the dearly departed I-BMW.com

Namely, although the bike would always start right up the motor would bog/die upon any quick throttle application until warmed up a bit.
Slow, deliberate throttle application could be achieved, but a quick twist would not fly.
Additionally, once warmed the idle would occasionally fluctuate for no apparent reason by as much as a few hundred RPM.

The CPU replacement totally remedied those two conditions on my bike.

I can't say that I notice any other improvement in performance with the exception of fuel mileage.
I'm fairly obsessive about tracking my MPG on anything I own. Before CPU swap I was 'round 41ish, after swap 43ish.

My.02
post #5 of 71 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 2005, 10:43 am

Cpu

I have recently purchased an 04, GT and have been reading with interest about the CPU. I felt that I might not need one until I just read your post about the startup. I also experience the slow throttle response on startup. After a few moments it has better response. But, I have noticed when down shifting sometimes that if I am to match RPMs with a little bit of throttle it is slow to respond. I keep thinking that I should have better throttle response and then I think well this is my first BMW and maybe this is just characteristic of the 4 cyl. BMWs. Now, reading the last two posts gets me thinking that I should be talking to the dealer if this offer is over in December.

Thank you all for your help!

Ben
post #6 of 71 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 2005, 10:47 am
Veteran

I did the change

I did the change under warrantee. However, I did not notice any problems before. After it was done, my gas milage went up from 40 +/- to 50 +/- .
post #7 of 71 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 2005, 4:02 pm
Looking for better limits...

Throttle response when cold (engine, not necessarily outside temps) has some hesitation. Goes away after a couple of minutes, but for me, in less than a couple of minutes I was at a signal making a right onto a freeway onramp. Pick a gap in traffic or wait for the green light. After it died from a take-off at that intersection a couple of times, the bike wamed up in the driveway.

Service writer initially wasn't interested, as I have a penchant for getting information off the internet, and lord knows that the internet is fraught with mis-information. Told him on cold mornings it was a serious throttle response issue (I had to have a bit of stretch for this guy) and asked if he could check my VIN. It was listed...and about a month later, I had a new one. NO throttle hesitation since then, and 2MPG improvement overall. Getting on the freeway onramp is now a no-brainer. Giddy-up-and-go is there in spades.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Söze
post #8 of 71 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 2005, 6:00 pm

Does this apply to the 02 models? I have a few of those symptoms but they are not real bad. My mileage is in the high 30s.
post #9 of 71 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 2005, 1:38 am
Looking for better limits...

I don't believe the campaign covered 02's, just 03's and most 04's. CABNFVR has an 02, replaced the ECU, but I don't think he got it replaced as part of this issue.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Söze
post #10 of 71 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 2005, 2:24 am
Addict

Thumbs up There ya go Lucky...

...straight from the horses' mouths.

My ECU change is coming up...hopefully,it improves performance.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode