Want to repaint bike, need color codes - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 2007, 9:59 am Thread Starter

Want to repaint bike, need color codes

Well, after having all kinds of insane things happen to me last year riding my bike, but having said that I am sure whatever happened to me happened to you all as well in terms of being attacked by cages, I am thinking about changing the color of my bike from the dark Graphite to a silvery color for better visibility. In my January issue of BMWON, on page 50, there is a R1200S with a nice light color, looks like a silver blue, and then further back on page 115 there's a pic of an LT with a nice silver color, that's the pic that got me thinking, boy that bike stands out, is hard to miss, and a great color. Does anyone happen to have a paint code for any of these silvery type colors? I know it wasn't a stock color for my 1998 K1200RS, but I think I'll walk on the wild side and go for it. I have located a good replacement paint for the graphite color, for some reason they call it graphit, supplied by PPG and the quality seems to be real good, and the total cost of the paint, the additive, and the clearcoat comes to about 300 bucks. The paint guns are cheap on ebay, new ones run only about 35 bucks, then I would borrow a compressor from a friend probably, and paint the bike myself, I have already received the stickers from Chicago BMW that say 'K1200RS', so I'm ready to go. Lately though I am thinking I should make it lighter for safety's sake. I thought about white, but I have always liked the silvery color. Here's a pic of the bike in it's present color, thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	just the bike.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	4490  

Last edited by frisco99; Jan 8th, 2007 at 10:15 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 2007, 10:44 am
Will ride for picts

Check out Phil Hawksely's web site on BMW motorcycle paint codes.

http://www.bmbikes.co.uk/paintcodes.htm

Be aware that the paint code listed on the sticker under the seat is a "scheme code" which needs to be translated to the individual paint codes for each component: primer, color coat, top coat.

Sierra Cement: Good for skis, bad for knees.

www.rhhall.smugmug.com
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 2007, 11:36 am
Enthusiast

Ifyou plan on painting it yourself be aware that preparation and your painting environment will determine mostly what type of outcome you have. Just painting the bike in the garage with the door closed won't do it. There is dust and dirt floating around in the air just waiting to get on that new paint and there is no way to disguise it once it's there. Good luck.

'03 K1200GT

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 2007, 2:18 pm
Veteran

Maybe just me...but i would think the dark blue would stand out more in traffic....something i notice with the cars we have had that the light ones seemed to be a target...but hey what the heck....nice to have a change...do you use the head lamp modulator?.....i use mine only on the freeway and what a differance it makes....but good luck on the paint....remember temp and dust free air.....test test test...but you know what/....if it doesnt come out the way you like it....its small enough that its no big deal to do it over....have fun!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 2007, 2:21 pm Thread Starter

Titan Silver Metallic - paint code 354

So, as per the link above I went here:

http://www.bmbikes.co.uk/paintcodes/silvers.htm

scrolled to the bottom and found ‘Titan Silver Metallic’ was BMW OEM code 354,

then found the PPG paint website and chose 354:

http://www.ppgcarpaint.com/paints-byoem.php?OEMCode=354

scrolled down to the ‘BMW.764’ link for 'bmw motorcycle 2001 - 2007' but it didn’t work, so I scrolled up a bit and chose the ‘36570-354-titansilber-bmw 1997 – 2007’ link, which took me to the page describing the PPG paint code 36570-titan silver, where I chose ‘Premium urethane basecoat’, $80.10 a quart, I need 2 quarts for three coats I am told, plus I need a clearcoat which is found by typing 161 into the 'Accessories/Keyword Search' box, 2 quarts of that at $20.27 per quart puts me ballpark $200 for the paint. The paint is ordered by calling PPG in New Jersey (800-9289774), and they will ship UPS in 3-4 days according to them.

Then this link took me to a page which I used to view the color chip, second row-36570:

http://tcpglobal.com/autocolorlibrar...2-bmw-pg01.jpg

and I think this is a real live example of what the color looks like on the bike:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2002-...QQcmdZViewItem

Here is a link to DuPont paint and all their BMW Motorcycle colors:

http://color.dupontrefinish.info/scr...tbtn=show+list

and a link to the Glasurit website paint codes:

http://www.glasurit.com/COLOR/new-co...php?language=1

So I think I will order the paint, get out my grandmas best paintbrush, and go to town! Cheers.

Last edited by frisco99; Jan 8th, 2007 at 4:33 pm.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 2007, 2:46 pm Thread Starter

thanks for the suggestions

This was kind of an example, there are some other light colors available that might be nice as well, there is a frost-blue-metallic code 447, a silver-iceberg code 926, a phoenix-grey-metallic which I can't find the code for, and a silver-pearl code 907 as well. I like my graphite color, but after what I saw last year, and after reading the statistics of the accidents last year, I think it wouldn't hurt to take the plastic off, sand it down during the next few months while I wait for the snow to go away, try to find a dust free environment where I can do the painting or make a paint box in my garage, and when it warms up, slap the paint on, all I need is a gun and a compressor and a mask. My flasher sticks and doesn't work right plus if I switch to HID I read it takes a while for the high beam to return, so I think that option is out for me, but thanks for the suggestion. Cheers.

Last edited by frisco99; Jan 8th, 2007 at 2:54 pm.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 2007, 4:21 pm
Veteran

If you want the original Glasurit paint. Holt BMW is the place to go(Google it, they have a web site).

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 2007, 4:29 pm Thread Starter

great idea Bruce

Bruce, you saved the day. I called Holt, wonderful people, got the color I really wanted, which they call "wheel silver", same color as the wheels, I'll paint the bike and the wheels with real Glasurit primer and paint, it all comes in a kit, excellent.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 2007, 8:42 pm Thread Starter

Glasurit arrived

Way sooner than I expected, the box with the paint kit arrived UPS today, basically the entire kit except for the paint gun and a mask, I got the primer, the basecoat ( color called 'wheel silver', the same color as the wheels, I think it will look cool), the clearcoat, 2 small cans of hardener, and a larger can of reducer. I will have to put the stuff in the spare bedroom, pretty potent fumes. Packed very nice, cardboard around each individual can, then each can was in a heavy plastic bag and taped solid, also came with 3 pages of info and instruction. Real genuine Glasurit, right around $370. Can't wait for the warmer weather, I'll get the plastic off and start sanding here soon. Holt BMW in Athens Ohio, thanks for the tip Bruce
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	glasurit kit.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	4563  
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 2007, 9:39 pm
Veteran

Glad to help.

I admire you for taking on painting it yourself. A painter, I ain't!!!

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode