Re:Linked Braking - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 2007, 10:01 am Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Re:Linked Braking

O.K. I'm starting to understand that with our linked braking setup that we have on our K-Bike's that that only one side is linked. Is this true? Does only the front brakes activate the rear brake or does the rear brake active the front brakes? I'm thinking it's the rear brake is the one that get's used all the time? Sorry if this has already been discussed but I've yet to run across this. :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 2007, 11:14 am

when you use the front brake lever it will activate both the front and rear brakes. If you depress the rear brake pedal only the rear wheel brake will activate.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 2007, 12:24 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007007
O.K. I'm starting to understand that with our linked braking setup that we have on our K-Bike's that that only one side is linked. Is this true? Does only the front brakes activate the rear brake or does the rear brake active the front brakes? I'm thinking it's the rear brake is the one that get's used all the time? Sorry if this has already been discussed but I've yet to run across this. :-)
The rear brake pedal activates only rear brake (i.e. you can trail-brake). The front brake lever activates both front and rear brakes. You can hear the difference in activation of the servo if you turn on the key (don't start the bike) and apply rear brake first and then add front. Release both, then apply front brake first and add rear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 2007, 7:34 pm

I had a '02 Honda CBR1100xx before my 04 GT. The linked brakes on the CBR are really wierd. If you pressed the rear pedal, the inner front caliper pistons were activated along with the two outer rear caliper pistons. If you pulled the front lever, the two outer pistons on the front rotors were activated and then the rotational forces on the front left rotor caliper assy moved the whole assy and activate a small master cylinder on the left fork leg which activated the inner rear caliper piston. totally over complicated. I obviously removed the whole system by intsalling a 3-2-1 brake line kit. I think they are out of the UK. Anyways, the BMW servo system is wierd too, but much better than that system IMO.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 3:14 pm
Addict

Quote:
I'm thinking it's the rear brake is the one that get's used all the time? Sorry if this has already been discussed but I've yet to run across this. :-)

The front provides around 80% of the stopping power. The front is the one that should be used most of the time.
Rear "only" for slow speed maneuvering for better control (U turns etc), or when on a loose or slippery surface, especially going down hill.
I think the manual says (may have come across it elsewhere) that the linking though the front brake lever will add as much as 30% to the rear. That's it.
Of course I could be wrong...................
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 2007, 10:26 am
Addict

I dunno about you guys, but I find it rather ironic that even though the front brakes are the ones that do the bulk of the work, the rear brake pads seem to wear out faster. :p

Black 2002 K1200RS - "The Beast" (over 100k miles)
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 2007, 11:04 am
Addict

Quote:
I'm thinking it's the rear brake is the one that get's used all the time?
Please tell me that you don't use your rear brake for your primary braking duties...

It's not the speed that kills, it's the rate at which the speed diminishes...
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 2007, 10:18 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnadero
I dunno about you guys, but I find it rather ironic that even though the front brakes are the ones that do the bulk of the work, the rear brake pads seem to wear out faster. :p
Yea, I agree but I hardly wear my back brake out. I most always just apply the front only. (But that links to the rear). But, I am easy on brakes.

The real problem is the small size of the rear brake compared to the weight (as in HEAVY) of the bike being much more than that little back brake should ever be forced to deal with.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 2007, 10:09 am

Rear brake pads

I rarely ever use my rear brake pedal. I always just use the linking function for all my braking. I went through my first set of rear pads at around 10 K. I have put 15K on since and these pads still look okay so I don't know whats up. I have heard that the rear pads go quick on these though.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 2007, 10:21 am
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnadero
I totally agree. I almost never touch my rear brake, but that's where I get the most "dust", and the rear pads wear out about two to one compared to the front. I've never heard a good explanation of why 30% pressure on the rear wears faster than the front.

One thing I will say, no matter what makes them work, BMW brakes are the best available. Linked, anti-lock, BMW brakes have saved my butt more than once. The brakes sold me more on by current bike than any other feature.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode