New (to me) '03 GT - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 2007, 4:16 am Thread Starter
Noob

New (to me) '03 GT

Hi all,

I'm new here, so thought I'd introduce myself and ask for some advice!

I was hit on my '02 Triumph Sprint ST a few weeks back-it was damaged "beyond economic repair" and I just got the payout from the insurance. So, after some browsing of this fine forum and digging through the online classifieds, I put a deposit on this K1200GT.

One owner, BMW Park Lane from new, 11,800 miles, very very clean. 4899, which seems a good price.

I'll be looking for a fender extender, possibly a GPS (not that I need it but the speed camera warning would be good) and maybe a hugger. I'll search the forums before asking for advice on these!

Any suggestions on worthwhile additions? Perhaps the larger brake/gear pegs that some makers sell? I commute about 60 miles a day on a mix of fast roads and through traffic. I'm a bit intimidated by the length of the thing, especially the front end which seems HUGE compared to the Triumph, but I dare say I'll get used to it.

Ian
London UK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 2007, 8:34 am

Arrow Re-new to me ( '03 GT ).

Ian,

Congratulation, you got yourself one of the best and more fun to ride bikes. I sold an almost new KRS last year to buy an '04 R1150RT, but I missed the RS so much that six month later I sold the RT and bought a 2003 GT.

The price you're paying seem very good for the GT. I never rode a Triumph before so I can't compare but I know that you need to watch yourself with the GT on the slippery wet roads of UK. It is a very responsive bike with so much torque.

I owned many bikes in the past several years and the first accessory I install is a tail/brake hyper light like the one you see on the link. It can save your life , especially if you commute in bad weather.

http://www.bmwsantacruz.com/Merchant2/index.html

You may also find out the windshield of the GT does not offer much weather protection, so you may decide for taller model. One of the reason why I sold the KRS was because I couldn't stand the air noise on the helmet. I just bought myself a Aeroflow tall Touring shield and that will hopefully solve the problem.

Yes, the bike is huge, but tha't what it distinguish her form other sport bikes, and I love it.

You may also want to order a set of knee pads to protect the paint of your side panels and tank panel.

Enjoy your new ride. You got yourself a superb machine!

Pier

'87 K100LT
'00 Valkyrie I/S
'05 K1200LT

'03 KRS - Sold in 2006
'04 R1150RT - Sold in 2006
'03 K1200GT - Sold in 2009
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 2007, 9:23 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by imfinlay
So, after some browsing of this fine forum and digging through the online classifieds, I put a deposit on this K1200GT.
In the event you have not had any previous experience with these older Ks there's one thing worth mentioning - they have a dry clutch, and will not take well to launches, burnouts, and other similar clutch-killing activities. If you do manage to burn one up, disassembly is a major operation, unlike the typical wet clutch motorcycle, where removing the side cover typically gives access to the clutch parts. I remember the first time I saw a K apart for clutch replacement I was shocked at how much had been removed.

One more thing to mention is that any dealer-performed repair or maintenance will likely not be cheap. If you are mechanically capable or if you know someone mechanically capable that can do any work on the bike for you for less, that's great, but if not then expect the dealer to extract a fair amount of shillings from your pocket from time to time.

Otherwise, if you are determined to get your hands on, and keep your hands on, that GT, I hope you have many safe, enjoyable, and trouble-free miles on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pier1
You may also find out the windshield of the GT does not offer much weather protection, so you may decide for taller model. One of the reason why I sold the KRS was because I couldn't stand the air noise on the helmet.
I just put a tall GT screen on my bike for the winter (for the first time, no less) and the wind noise seems a little louder and lower in pitch than the RS screen. I typically use ear plugs, so to me the differences between both are inconsequential.

Black 2002 K1200RS - "The Beast" (over 100k miles)

Last edited by carnadero; Jan 15th, 2007 at 9:31 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 2007, 10:14 am Thread Starter
Noob

Thanks guys. The Sprint ST is a great bike, no question. Lots of torque and power, without silly revs. Very comfortable and roomy for the legs (I have a 31" inseam). I had 1" risers on it and a double bubble screen, but still had a lot of wind noise above 50mph. I suspect the GT will be as good or better.

I like the way I can flat foot the GT, which I couldn't on the Sprint, also the heated seat (can't wait...). I'm very gentle on mechanicals, as I've been into old cars and bikes for ages - I'm 43 now - so I don't see burnouts/launches etc in my future

I'm somewhat bothered about the bar mounted mirrors. The fairing ones I had on the Trumpet meant that I could always see behind me when filtering through traffic, but I wonder if the bar ones will be as good. Also thinking about mounting my Givi top box on the rack, although this bike has the BMW soft case and a tank bag. I'll need a speed camera alerter too - maybe with a GPS if I can afford it.

As to service costs, many BMW dealers here are also Triumph ones, and my service bills have never been exactly low. I have too many cars to work on to do it myself though, and the loss of value for a non-BMW maintained bike means I'll probably swallow the cost and have an approved garage do the work.

Cheers all

Ian
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 2007, 11:20 am
Looking for better limits...

Verholen has a kit for adapting R1100S mirrors (fairing mounted) to these bikes. Not sure exactly what's entailed, as they provide a backing plate and I don't know what the support is for the R1100S for fairing mounted mirrors. No one that has put them on their ride has complained as far as I know.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Sze
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 2007, 2:47 pm
Veteran

Great deal...if you ever have any problems you need to solve...this is the place to go......i dont think a thread is ever unanswered here...especially when it comes to mech. things....everyone is chomping at the bit to help...this is a great forum....but stay away from football here.ya know the egg shaped one.....GO PATS!!!!

Last edited by BAK04GT; Jan 15th, 2007 at 2:56 pm.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 2007, 4:16 pm

Jan,

The GT's mirror are kind of narrower to see properly behind you. You need to tilt your upper body a little to see properly, but I guess it may depends on how wide you are.

I replaced the mirrors of my GT with the KRS' ones and now I can see behind very well without having to move my body. However, I noticed that the KRS mirrors vibrate a little so your view would become out of focus to a certain extend. The GT's mirrors have a metal arm and housing while the KRS are plastic, so I guess this could be the reason.
The KRS mirrors are also much better looking in my opinion.

I assume your GT came with the side cases although I don't see them in the picture.
If you decide to setup the Givi trunk and you like to sell the tail soft case I may be interested.

Pier

'87 K100LT
'00 Valkyrie I/S
'05 K1200LT

'03 KRS - Sold in 2006
'04 R1150RT - Sold in 2006
'03 K1200GT - Sold in 2009

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode