Carbon Canister - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 2007, 11:43 am Thread Starter
Veteran

Question Carbon Canister

Yesterday, when I tied to open the fuel cap there was an exorbitant amount of vacuum preventing normal opening of the cap. Is this a symptom of the carbon canister failure? I have not touched any of the fuel lines
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 2007, 12:29 pm
Noob

Personally, I haven't a clue. But, from the famous DaveTheAffable "Help - No start after Removing Quick Disconnects" thread...

Aug 29th, 2006, 10:50 am
cobbler

Check This
I had an R1100R that had a clogged charcoal cannister, filled with gas from the over flow at the fuel filler neck. If I over filled the fuel tank, the excess would run into the little holes at the filler neck and into the cannister. I knew something was up when I popped my fuel tank lid and there was a vacuum "swoosh" noise as equalizing air pressure rushed in. The fuel tank was not venting. Maybe try opening your filler lid and then try starting it. If it cranks up then that cannister is filled with fuel and not venting the tank properly.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 2007, 3:08 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

Bike starts up with no problem. I disconnected the open fuel vent hose and the hose to the fuel tank from the cannister. Plugged both openings to the cannister with both fingers lots of vacuum with the pulse valve running. I checked the open fuel vent hose for obstructions..no problem. I reconnected everything..still excessive vacuum from the gas cap
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 2007, 4:27 pm
Veteran

I dont know for sure ...but...is there a built in vent in the cap its self that maybe iced over?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 2007, 4:43 pm
"DELIVERS"

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa3jy
Yesterday, when I tied to open the fuel cap there was an exorbitant amount of vacuum preventing normal opening of the cap. Is this a symptom of the carbon canister failure? I have not touched any of the fuel lines
Trying to imagine what's happening...when you turn the key, the cap doesn't pop up?

'04 GT...Orient Blue...Staintune...Ohlins...Power Commander
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 2007, 6:21 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

Turned the key and tried to pull up..nada. Had to give it good yank and wooosh!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 2007, 8:14 am

I had a similar problem on my '98 KRS - eventually I found that the lines for the fuel overflow and the vacuum canister had been reversed during a dealer service (!). The small overflow holes around the fuel filler neck should vent to atmosphere (via a small hose), not to the carbon canister. The cannister is part of the evaporative emission controls and should connected to vent hose on the tank below the filler, i.e. below where the fuel cap seals the tank when closed.

It's really easy to swap the two hoses whenever the tank is removed, but they are not interchangeable!

Unfortunately, once the cannister is flooded with liquid gasoline, it may never work properly again.

Mark

'03 BMW K1200GT (Orient Blue)
'00 BMW R1100SA (Mandarin/Silver)
'56 BMW R50 (for sale)
'74 R90S (Daytona Orange)
'06 Ducati Paul Smart Replica (for sale)
'81 Honda CBX SuperSport
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 2007, 9:40 am
Statmaster

Clay,

That sounds very similar to the behavior of a clogged charcoal cannister or obstructed vent hose. The K1200LT is notorious for doing this if you overfill at the gas pump and flood the cannister. You might check to make sure the vent hoses that run to the bottom of the bike are free from obstruction (dirt, mud, pebbles, etc.). Also, the cannister may dry out without having to remove it. BTW, you can remove it and make sure all the vent hosts are connected to each other. If you go over to www.bmwlt.com and search on "Canisterectomy", you can find the basic procedure (sure it's an LT, but the LT and RS are siblings -- albeit the LT is the fat sister).

Become a Supporting Member of K-Bikes.com
'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 2007, 6:09 am Thread Starter
Veteran

Well folks..me thinks I found my problem. Appearently when I had the tank off awhile back I inadvertently partially pinched the fuel vent line running from the bottom of the exterior bracket, that holds the fuel pump, to the canister between the frame and where the right rear pinch bolt that holds down the fuel tank.

When the ice clears off the roads I'll take it on a quick spin and see if that fixed the problem.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode