Expert advice on locating IceTracker sensor pls... - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 2005, 1:59 pm Thread Starter

Question Expert advice on locating IceTracker sensor pls...

Bought Icetracker thermometer for winter riding from RiderWarehouse in Minn. Device has body that velcros to RS dash and a tiny sensor that must be placed ...1. free from direct sunlight, 2. rain, 3. wind. The examples include behind front bumper or void holding hing of front door.

It is not specifically for motorcycles. In fact it has an inside and outside setting...inside would be the device mechanism itself and the tiny sensor for outside temperature. Alarms light and sound for 5 minutes between -1 and +3 centigrade.

Problem is where to mount sensor for greatest accuracy. Can't find any place without direct sunlight/wind/rain all at the same time. Too many oil coolers, radiators, radiator hoses, headlights etc all of which generate heat...

Anyone find a perfect location for that tiny sensor? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 2005, 2:24 pm
Addict

Although I'd never ride to trust one of these, my best guess is somewhere as low as possible to monitor the ground air temperature like just inside the underbelly cover. Alternatively, mount it inside a short vertical piece of 1/2 inch plastic tube, open at the bottom.

Once you've hit the ice at bike speeds, I doubt it will have re-acted that quick, but if it tells you the outdoor temp is just above zero and you need to ride, then you'd be better riding the whole trip assuming ice anywhere, rather than trusting your life and the bike to a gizmo.

I've been thinking about this and if they were able to react quickly (which I think they can) and be weatherproof, I'd go for one of the infra red surface temperature thermometers with a built in laser sight. PS I'm not an expert.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Last edited by voxmagna; Oct 28th, 2005 at 2:25 pm. Reason: addition
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 2005, 5:05 pm

I must be on the short-bus...what is the point of this device in terms of "ice monitoring". You would have to be on the ice for it to actually track it right? I would like a temp temp guage on the bike which it does look pretty good as.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 2005, 5:45 pm Thread Starter

Thumbs up More info on IceMonitoring

Understand ice cannot always be sited in time. My reason for installing a sensitive sensor away from sun and other heat sources is to be sure the temperature I am in is accurately being displayed.

I want to watch the temp fall so I can get off (the bike) before I do (fall).

Mounted thermometers in the sunshine have no accuracy. This little device is really sensitive and accurate...now if I can just find the right spot to mount it...the tube idea sounds about right...thanks...
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 2005, 6:18 pm

Ice in Ocala?

Popeye... How many below freezing days are you getting in Ocala?
Swannee River Parkway icing over?
I would think all those catfish in the old Silver Springs would belly up if you ever really put more than a few below freezing days together?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 2005, 7:36 pm Thread Starter

Talking Momma says goin outa town is OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgossen
Popeye... How many below freezing days are you getting in Ocala?
Swannee River Parkway icing over?
I would think all those catfish in the old Silver Springs would belly up if you ever really put more than a few below freezing days together?
Never know when I'll get lost and just head north by accident...
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 2005, 10:35 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by popeyebedford
Problem is where to mount sensor for greatest accuracy. Can't find any place without direct sunlight/wind/rain all at the same time. Too many oil coolers, radiators, radiator hoses, headlights etc all of which generate heat...

Anyone find a perfect location for that tiny sensor? Thanks
What about under the seat as far to the rear as possible? The only problem that
might occur is when the seat heater is on.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 2005, 11:54 pm
Addict

I also have the iceTracker and I mounted the sensor under the dash. It is out of the direct sun and it works well. Temp seems to be right on. It is helpful to know what the temp is during a ride.

Hanshi
2007 BMW K1200LT (black)
2004 BMW K1200GT (grey-green, sold)
Reading, Pa, USA
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 2005, 5:40 am

I have a similar thermometer. I currently have it on my K1200S, but previously had it on my K1200RS. On both bikes I mounted the remote sensor inside the side fairing about 6" below the oil cooler and about 3" from the front edge. It is out of the sun and far enough from the engine to give an accurate reading WHEN MOVING. When stopped, heat from the engine will affect the reading. The rain has not bothered it.

I don't use the ice alert feature, only the thermometer itself. The unit is not waterproof so I sealed all the switches and cracks with silicon. Has been working fine for a number of years.

Ken
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 2005, 4:52 pm

The aerostich site says:
'allows the remote sensor to be positioned out in the windstream and away from direct sunligh'

Sounds like you want it where it can get wind on it, but not direct sunlight - the cowl would seem a good place for it!

Daryl

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode