ABS Problem - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 2007, 6:46 pm Thread Starter

ABS Problem

Glad you are back up - hope someone can help me with some advice. 2002 KRS, 20k miles, original battery, always starts immediately. About one week ago, ABS (Brake Failure) light came on (fast flashing) about 10 minutes into a ride. Rear servo is disabled, front brake and servo work fine. Stop, ignition off, resets the system, typically does not fail again until EITHER brake is applied. I am told that weak battery (or bad tail light) causes failure light immediately, not after several minutes. Trusted dealer hooked up to diagnostic computer, result is "Bad ABS Controller". Expensive news. Question - go ahead with expensive repair or swap batteries first. BMW cars are prone to bizarre behavior when the battery is weak. Should I impute this for the bike as well, or does the computer know best?

Suggestions are welcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 2007, 6:50 pm
Addict-oholic

I had the same problem on my former 2002KRS at about 15K. It is probably the battery. Try that first. I also had a similar problem after BMW did a brake flush; this time, all that was needed was a few ouncs of brake fluid. Can't hurt to try these before committing to a big brake job.

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 2007, 6:39 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuranoff
Question - go ahead with expensive repair or swap batteries first. BMW cars are prone to bizarre behavior when the battery is weak.
Unless you're independently wealthy, the relatively inexpensive routes should always be tried first.

Black 2002 K1200RS - "The Beast" (over 100k miles)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 2007, 7:25 pm
Addict

same thing

i had the same problem, added 3 oz of brake fluid in reservoir. piece of cake.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 2007, 8:07 pm
"DELIVERS"

Do you eat the cake as a reward for a successful repair?

'04 GT...Orient Blue...Staintune...Ohlins...Power Commander
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 2007, 7:57 am

I had a similar problem with my 2003 K1200GT recently ... fast flashing ABS warning light after riding for a while that would reset on ignition turn off. Eventually the fast flashing came on as soon as I turned on the ignition. The diagnosis from my local BMW dealer was that the ABS control unit was kaput. Even though my bike was well out of warranty and I had not even bought it from them, they replaced it FREE OF CHARGE (normal cost in Australia is about $2,000 I believe). I was very happy with that! You may want to investigate with BMW as to whether or not there is a known problem with these units that requires a free replacement on request. Certainly challenge your BMW dealer about paying for it.

A couple of rides after the installation the brake fluid level dropped below the min mark in the rear resovoir resulting in a slow flashing ABS warning light. I had to top it up a couple of times with brake fluid to fix it. It all works fine now.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 2007, 10:14 am
Enthusiast

Add fluid first, then check fluid level in battery and recharge, then if that fails replace battery. My money says your problem will be solved.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 2007, 11:00 pm Thread Starter

Update to ABS Problem

Thanks all for the many suggestions. After replacing the battery, checking the rear lamp, switches and topping up fluid, the problem remains. After a bit of a delay, the bike was inspected by the extended warranty folks who agreed to pay for the repairs (well over $2k). Needless to say I am pleased, with all the suggestions received here, and especially with the response from the warranty company.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 2007, 7:16 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuranoff
the bike was inspected by the extended warranty folks who agreed to pay for the repairs (well over $2k).
So I'm assuming that they (the dealer) replaced the ABS module and rebled the system at "well over $2k"???

2007 BMW K1200S
2002 BMW K1200RS
2000 Honda VFR

If ignorance is bliss, why are there not more happy people?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 2007, 6:53 am

I say low fluid level in abs resevoir, a common problem.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode