The old RS No start thread - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 2007, 9:35 am Thread Starter

The old RS No start thread

Well, since I started the thread after February, I guess its lost. Bummer.

Anyways........SUCCESS!

As you may recall, I couldn't get the 02 RS started. I began with changing the battery, that wasn't it. Then pulled the plugs, they needed to be replaced. Still no go. I pulled the tank, yanked the fuel pump, tested it. The fuel pump was good, so I pulled the filter and cleaned it. I cleared the fuel lines with compressed air. I pulled the fuel rail, the pressure regulator, and diconnected each injector. I cleared the rail and regulator with compressed air. Each injector was cleaned with a toothbrush and comp air. I reassembled everything and bought a gallon of fresh gas. Leaving the gas gauge out, I was able to watch the operation of the fuel pump and made sure all the air was purged out of the fuel system. A quick check of all parts to make sure there was no gas leak, and I was set.

I danced in a circle while saying the magic words boom shakalaka, then said a small prayer.

I pressed the starter button, and she went!!! Massive smoke coming out of the exhaust, but no rough idle, no misfire, no other problems. After 10-15 minutes of running the smoke went away.

It took me another 40 minutes to finish buttoning up the tupperware, after which i went for a ride. It was FANTASTIC!!! I missed riding that bike, so I'm gonna make up for it. I loaded the wife up and went for a ride yesterday through the twisties, scared the crap outta her on a couple of corners that I took a little fast.

I owe a huge round of thank you's to everyone that helped me through this.

I hope I get a chance to ride with some of you some day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 2007, 11:47 am
Enthusiast

Congrats Chris!

So, too much crud in the fuel line? No matter now, save the hot cornering for solo and I'm sure your wife will stop dumping crud in the gas tank.

03K12RS
:wtf Joel Callan :wtf
Milwaukee, WI 53222

Homepage
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 2007, 12:18 pm
Will ride for picts

Way to go!!! Now stick to the good gas (name brands that use deteregents)...

Sierra Cement: Good for skis, bad for knees.

www.rhhall.smugmug.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 2007, 6:27 pm
Addict

I suspect it was probably the fuel filter. You probably shoulda replaced it anyway. :p

Black 2002 K1200RS - "The Beast" (over 100k miles)
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 2007, 11:12 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasbutan
Well, since I started the thread after February, I guess its lost. Bummer.

Anyways........SUCCESS!

I danced in a circle while saying the magic words boom shakalaka, then said a small prayer.

I pressed the starter button, and she went!!!
...as our camera pans into the little cottage where DaveTheAffable lives, we see him sleeping peacefully (not fitfully as he has for several weeks, in angst for his friend Rasbutan). We see Dave's wife reclined on one elbow, looking at her slumbering mate as she ponders the question that WE all know the answer to........

"Lord, Be Kind to Me....the Sea is
So Big, and My Boat is SO Small"

2002 K12RS
Dave
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 2007, 3:34 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheAffable
...as our camera pans into the little cottage where DaveTheAffable lives, we see him sleeping peacefully (not fitfully as he has for several weeks, in angst for his friend Rasbutan). We see Dave's wife reclined on one elbow, looking at her slumbering mate as she ponders the question that WE all know the answer to........
Thanks Dave!

Now how're you at setting the valves on an 1100GS?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 2007, 5:52 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasbutan
Thanks Dave!

Now how're you at setting the valves on an 1100GS?
Valves... no problem. Clockwise is usually "off", Counter clockwise is usually "on".

:o

If Wakashen... Wakusakie... Washandwearit... Heck...

..if you didn't live were you lived I'd drive right over and we'd figure it out.

"Lord, Be Kind to Me....the Sea is
So Big, and My Boat is SO Small"

2002 K12RS
Dave

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode