Another fuel line QD failure: - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 2007, 12:45 am Thread Starter
Will ride for picts

Thumbs up Another fuel line QD failure:

There's a fellow beemer rider in Reno that is glad that this forum exists! I had the opportunity to do a roadside R&R for one of the K-1200RS's on the ride this weekend: it experienced the infamous QD leak. As soon as I saw the fuel spraying out the right side of the bike, I had a bead on what the problem was. A quick examination confirmed the plastic QD had cracked.

From reading this board, I knew exactly what to do, and we set a plan in place to get him going again: I went to get the temporary parts, another rider went on a similar parts run in the other direction, and third rider headed home to get his truck and trailer. We weren't able to locate a connector, so we were going to use a Bic ball point pen to replace the QD fittings. I remember reading on this board that a pen case would work in a jam. Fortunately, the other rider that went to get parts returned with a tow truck that had the right barbed connectors. We had him on the road within an hour.

This site rocks!

Oh, and I ordered my metal QD's from Omega today. Seeing that RS dead on the road due to a known problem was the kick I needed to get proactive (this from a former reliability and maintenance engineer).

Sierra Cement: Good for skis, bad for knees.

www.rhhall.smugmug.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 2007, 8:26 am
Enthusiast

After reading through other's who have experienced the failure of quick disconnects, I too was proactive and replaced mine with CP quick disconnects (purchased through Omega). Installed during winter upgrades.

A little pricey, but peace of mind. Something that can strand you for a while is not a good thing. Don't want to carry parts to replace parts that should not fail in the first place.

03K12RS
:wtf Joel Callan :wtf
Milwaukee, WI 53222

Homepage
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 2007, 9:32 am

Omega Fuel Quick Connect Part Number???

I've read the recent posts, as well as a link to prior posts. The web link for Omega did not match what was posted. This link should get you to the proper section at Omega. Can someone confirm the Omega part numbers that will work on the BMW?

By the way, these same plastic connectors were also used in Ducati's and Triumphs. The Triumphs also had a recall on the original part.

http://www.omega.com/toc_asp/framese...=Coupling_info

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 2007, 10:15 am
Enthusiast

When I ordered from Omega (12-01-06) the part numbers were (note these did have the viton o-rings):

1) 2 FT-LCD220-05-VITON 12.39 12.39EA
BRASS COUPLING INSERT, STR F-FT CPC 12/22/06

2) 2 FT-LCD170-05-VITON 20.14 20.14EA
BRASS COUPLING BODIES, INLINE F-FT CPC 12/22/06

Total of all Items = 65.06

Order:
(2) each P/N FT-LCD170-VITON
(2) each P/N FT-LCD220-VITON

03K12RS
Milwaukee, WI 53222

Homepage
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 2007, 3:15 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03k12RS
When I ordered from Omega (12-01-06) the part numbers were (note these did have the viton o-rings):

1) 2 FT-LCD220-05-VITON 12.39 12.39EA
BRASS COUPLING INSERT, STR F-FT CPC 12/22/06

2) 2 FT-LCD170-05-VITON 20.14 20.14EA
BRASS COUPLING BODIES, INLINE F-FT CPC 12/22/06

Total of all Items = 65.06

Order:
(2) each P/N FT-LCD170-VITON
(2) each P/N FT-LCD220-VITON
I ordered the quick disconnects earlier this week from Omega, received them today along with a free gift which I selected as a digital multimeter. Very nice unit. Very nice fittings. Great supplier. Thanks for the tip.

Marc
Prescott AZ
2008 K1200S
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 2007, 8:01 am

I remember reading some posting here and there about the QD problem but really never really paid much attention to it because I thought it to be just some isolated problem.

Now that the warm season is starting I'm curios to know a little more about the QD failure.

Is this a common problem with the KRS/GT? .. and if so, why isn't BMW issuing a recall to replace the QD? After all, if I understand correctly it is a fuel related problem, and these parts should be bullet proof.

Anyway, does anyone has a picture, or perhaps direct me to a link where I can see where this QD is located? Should the QD be replaced with a better quality one, even if it isn't broken yet?

Sorry for my ignorance but I only own the GT for few moths and still don't know much about the bike. I had a KRS prior to this bike but I also keep it for very short time. I now intend to keep the GT and I'm getting ready for some long rides, so anything I can learn to prevent failures will be very helpful.

Thanks you for any suggestion.

Pier

'87 K100LT
'00 Valkyrie I/S
'05 K1200LT

'03 KRS - Sold in 2006
'04 R1150RT - Sold in 2006
'03 K1200GT - Sold in 2009
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 2007, 9:48 am
Veteran

Pier 1

You can spend a day reading about QD failures. To find them look to the rear and above the oil fill cap on the right side. They are attached to both fuel lines near the fuel pump flange retaining nut.

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 2007, 10:07 am
Enthusiast

I was proactive in replacing the QD on my bike, the tech said they're "pricey" (rather pay once and be done with it myself) but during the replacement one of mine snapped without too much pressure on the thing.

If not replacing with Omega I would recommend replacing OEM at least every 3 years. You may get away with the things lasting longer, but in my opinion they will break. Peace of mind issue for me.

03K12RS
Milwaukee, WI 53222

Homepage
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 2007, 1:43 pm Thread Starter
Will ride for picts

It's a "weak point" of the bike. There's a few of these with any machine.

Here's the one that I saw fail. Question is, has anyone seen the other QD fail? I suspect this one is prone due to the stress that the bend in the fuel line places on it.

Looking at where the failed QD cracked, and knowing a bit about stress concentration factors, the QD was designed with a sharp step, which concentrates any bending stress at that point, leading to failure. A small fillet or radius would have likely prevented this failure. Alternatively, reducing the stress on the fitting by using a zip-tie on the fuel line will help. And finally, a switch to a material with much higher strength, like brass, is the another step in the right direction.

Here's the QD that I saw fail. Has anyone seen the other one fail?

Sierra Cement: Good for skis, bad for knees.

www.rhhall.smugmug.com

Last edited by rhhall; Mar 31st, 2007 at 1:46 pm. Reason: added close-up photo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode