Rhine West? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 2007, 10:07 pm Thread Starter

Rhine West?

I am thinking about installing a Rhine West chip in my '02 KRS, and I'd like to hear any ideas/opinions. Pirate waxes enthusiastically about them, and what little bit I've been able to find in various forums is positive too. I just keep thinking that BMW has a lot more development money than little Rhine West, and it,s certainly in its best interest to produce the best chip possible for all conditions. Naive, maybe. I'm just wondering what, if anything I'd be giving up (besides $400).

Jim Davis
Athens, GA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 2007, 12:01 am
Addict

I had one in my LT and I can tell ya, it is well worth it. It really smoothed out the power band and took the 2nd gear stumble out of my bike. After the install, 2nd gear would really pull hard. Before it felt like it some hesitation - all that was GONE. Granted that was an LT, but I would think you'd see pretty good improvements, too.

Doug Turner
'86 Concours
'99 K1200LT - gone
'06 K1200GT - the new kid in town
'08 Wing - gone
Marshall, TX
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 2007, 3:01 pm

It did extend and smooth the acceleration on my GT. You got the money sitting around go ahead and install. BTW install was not a problem but the gas tank does have to come off. I did mine in an hour and it was the first time I ever even had the cowling off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 2007, 2:20 pm
Enthusiast

Re:Rhine West Chip

I too have an "02" K1200RS and I put on a Remus exhaust and a Rhine West Chip all on one fell swoop and it made the bike so much nicer to ride that it was surprising because I thought the bike had a lot of power to begin with, but it did indeed clean up the cold start stumble and flattened out the power curve, so all in all I'd say it's a very good choice to make.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 2007, 7:51 pm

I've been testing one of their chips since last fall (only a few miles on it so far). I bought one of their off-the-shelf chips for my '02 K12RS with the hope that it would cure the 5500-rpm-engine-shut-off-problem. It did not and in fact was quite a bit worse at altitude. They worked with me on the problem and the latest chip version I have solves the problem, at least at medium altitudes (7500 ft, have to wait couple of months to test really high altitudes!) Needless to say I am very pleased and impressed with Rhine West folks. Having 8 more horsies at high rpms is not such a bad deal either. BTW, first indications are I'm getting a little bit better fuel mileage.

As far as RW being a small company remember that they are not working under the emissions constraints the BMW must. Besides, BMW is not known for good injection mapping (R series surging, KRS/GT cold start problems and stumble at 5500 rpm, KS series map revisions ad-nauseum, etc). It's like they just don't put in the effort.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 8:04 pm

Another me-too!

2002 K1200RS with AC Schniter pipes and exhaust. Before RW chip there was always this 'fluff' when opening up again from a fully closed throttle; after RW that has now gone. The mighty K is now completely smooth throughout its rev range.

Hoping for an even better ride once my spare system comes back from Jet-Hot Coatings! Hoo-wee, just gotta love this bike!

Regards,

Ian
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 9:42 pm
Addict

Say, all you chip-replacin' dudes, how's the mileage with the new one installed? Slightly better? Slightly worse? About the same?

Black 2002 K1200RS - "The Beast" (over 100k miles)
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 2007, 1:11 pm

If there was a change it was too small to notice.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 2007, 4:28 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnadero
Say, all you chip-replacin' dudes, how's the mileage with the new one installed? Slightly better? Slightly worse? About the same?
I did the Rhinewest camshaft gear and chip modification and saw 15% better fuel mileage.

Brent Boshart
10 R1200GS ADV (his)
09 K1300S Light Grey (hers)
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 2007, 5:43 pm

A slight hi-jack but applicable to the topic I think............

My stock GT has always had a surge when coasting down on a closed throttle. In any gear it lurges forward slightley when the tac comes down to 1500-1700 rpm.
Do all the K1200's do that?
Will the Rine West chip stop it?

2003 K1200 GT
73 RD 350
85 RZ 350
79 Daytona
82 V45 Sabre
03 Tuono Racing
82 YZ 250
02 Polaris 500
02 VTX 1800C
06 Yamaha YZF-R1
06 Yamaha YZF-R1 LE

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode