flashing warning lights - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 2007, 3:47 am Thread Starter

flashing warning lights

I've noticed the last few times out that the ABS and Warning lights will alternately flash starting a few seconds after pulling away. the brakes still seem to function ok. If I turn the bike off while moving then restart it sometimes the flashing clears and sometimes it comes back and continues flashing again. There appears to be sufficient fluid in both the front and rear resovoirs, what else could this be? Faulty sensor or something more subtle/serious? thx.

Marty S.
2010 Ducati Multistrada 1200s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 2007, 3:55 am
Noob

Some members on the forum reported (and I experienced myself in a 05 GT) that when Battery power goes a bit below 12, the ABS lights flash, then it gets recovered.

It use to happen when is very cold and you stressed the battery so much with heated grips or something else, so when you start the bike and consume the power, the lights flash until the power gets recovered.

Dunno if it's the same case, but I just ignore it, put some throttle and wait til lights go off and then start riding.

The lights should not flash while you're riding, that could be dangerous if you need the ABS function.

Cheers!.
Martin.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 2007, 5:32 am
Addict

methinks i know

top up both reservoirs with brake fluid. happened to me last month.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 2007, 8:46 am

Fellow member Kuranoff reported a similar problem in a thread recently (search for ABS Problem). Here is a copy of my reply in that thread...

I had a similar problem with my 2003 K1200GT recently ... fast flashing ABS warning light after riding for a while that would reset on ignition turn off. Eventually the fast flashing came on as soon as I turned on the ignition. The diagnosis from my local BMW dealer was that the ABS control unit was kaput. Even though my bike was well out of warranty and I had not even bought it from them, they replaced it FREE OF CHARGE (normal cost in Australia is about $2,000 I believe). I was very happy with that! You may want to investigate with BMW as to whether or not there is a known problem with these units that requires a free replacement on request. Certainly challenge your BMW dealer about paying for it.

A couple of rides after the installation the brake fluid level dropped below the min mark in the rear resovoir resulting in a slow flashing ABS warning light. I had to top it up a couple of times with brake fluid to fix it. It all works fine now.

It may be a bit premature to say this but it seems that problems with the ABS is "reasonably common" now. Would be nice to get some feedback from BMW.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 2007, 9:16 am
Enthusiast

Wink

Top off the brake fluid, make sure you are checking the reservoirs that are on right side below the side panel. Or just put tape over the lights on the dash panel like one goofball I came across.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 2007, 10:34 am Thread Starter

thanks folks. to be clear, this is not just the ABS light flashing quickly, this is both the ABS and general warning light alternately flashing slowly.

I read about the low brake fluid possibility in the owners manual and thought that might be it. curiously, I also found in the manual that when starting the bike, the ABS light flashes quickly and the warning light stays on solid for a few seconds as it self diagnoses. The manual says you should not start the bike until the warning light goes out and the ABS light changes from fast flash to slow flash. You should also start the bike without the brakes engaged which I didn't know. With the hills around here its not uncommon to start the bike with the brakes engaged, so I'll have to pay more attention to that situation.

quick question, when checking brake fluid levels, I'm assuming you should have the bike on the center stand, on level ground and for the front brake you should turn the wheel full left so the reservoir sort of level offs? the levels are currently in the middle of the bubble on the front and between min and max on the rear. I'll pick up some fresh fluid this weekend and top them both off.

Marty S.
2010 Ducati Multistrada 1200s
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 2007, 11:11 am

Lightbulb K1200RS Starting Procedure

Back to basics: The owner's manual says turn key to on, ABS lights will flash quickly, then within 2 seconds or so, will flash slowly, that is the time you press the starter button. Who knows why the engine management system wants it done this way, but there a bunch of pretty smart people who design these things. Also, the proper reserve in the battery for cranking power may also be a factor...the BMW's like a fresh, fully charged battery
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 2007, 11:39 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by martys
You should also start the bike without the brakes engaged which I didn't know. With the hills around here its not uncommon to start the bike with the brakes engaged, so I'll have to pay more attention to that situation.
What I do in such a situation is to typically leave the bike in gear when parking on any grade. When it's time to get going again, I simply switch the ignition on and allow the ABS to go through the startup diagnostic procedure. Once it finishes and the "brake failure" light is flashing at a 1 Hz rate, apply the foot brake, squeeze the clutch and fire up the engine.

You don't want to disturb the system while it's doing the startup diagnostics, but once completed, with the exception of the pull-away test, it's ready to go regardless of whether the engine is running or not.

Black 2002 K1200RS - "The Beast" (over 100k miles)
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 2007, 4:12 pm

I had that happen when the sensor gaps were out of whack.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 2007, 10:08 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmK12
I had that happen when the sensor gaps were out of whack.
What is the specification for the sensor gaps?

TIA.

2007 BMW K1200S
2002 BMW K1200RS
2000 Honda VFR

If ignorance is bliss, why are there not more happy people?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode