New to me '04 RS - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 9:13 am Thread Starter

New to me '04 RS

I traded my '01 RS over the weekend for an '04 in Capri Blue (pictures to come).

Had 2 questions for you guys out there.

1) I can hear the ABS functioning on the '04, but I never really noticed it on the '01. Anybody have any experience with this?

2) The '04 has Metzlers on it; I ran Dunlops on the '01. I noticed that when turning at parking lot speeds on the '04 the front end wants to heel over into the turn much more sharply than my '01 w/Dunlops, makes the front end feel almost heavy. I know there is a much sharper profile on the Metzlers, so is this typical steering for these tires? What kind of mileage can I expect from them?

I picked the bike up at BMW of Pittsburgh and was really happy with the treatment I received there from Lee Marks. It's worth a stop if you happen to be in the area, quite a few bikes in stock, including Ducks and Triumph.

"We deal in lead, friend"
----------------------------
'04 K12RS (capri blue)
'07 Triumph Speed Triple
'00 HD Road King
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 12:18 pm

Perhaps you are hearing the servo which actuates the brakes ? Kind of a whiney electric pump sound?

Tires are all so different, I like the Michelin Pilot Powers because they do feel easier to tip in yet are quite easy to hold a line on. Tires are just a matter of taste and what you are used to though...

Congrats on the new bike!
Dave.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 12:18 pm
Noob

Had the same handling problem with Metzlers on my '02 KRS. Installed Avon ST's problem solved and then some. Great tires, will never use Metzlers again on the KRS or my R11S.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 12:18 pm
Addict

conga-rats!

i have the '04 also and love it. the steering is normal with all brands of tires. the brake noise and clutch noise is all normal. one trick: at stoplights from neutral, sometimes the tranny doesnt want to go into 1st gear. if u quickly go to 1st after grabbing clutch, it will fall right in. good riding......
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 3:05 pm
Veteran

I use the z6 and have no complaints....good miles...is what is important for me...but i do get wild sometimes....do 80% hiway and 20% screwing around.....10000 out of rear and avg 13000 out of frnt....but i do go to the bars.....the only other tire i have used on the GT was the z4......so its all up to you what you like in a tire and what roads you ride......all pavement up here not to many concret roads.....bet they eat the hell out of tires....but congrats on the RS...
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 3:51 pm
Looking for better limits...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob5150
I traded my '01 RS over the weekend for an '04 in Capri Blue (pictures to come).

Had 2 questions for you guys out there.

1) I can hear the ABS functioning on the '04, but I never really noticed it on the '01. Anybody have any experience with this?

2) The '04 has Metzlers on it; I ran Dunlops on the '01. I noticed that when turning at parking lot speeds on the '04 the front end wants to heel over into the turn much more sharply than my '01 w/Dunlops, makes the front end feel almost heavy. I know there is a much sharper profile on the Metzlers, so is this typical steering for these tires? What kind of mileage can I expect from them?

I picked the bike up at BMW of Pittsburgh and was really happy with the treatment I received there from Lee Marks. It's worth a stop if you happen to be in the area, quite a few bikes in stock, including Ducks and Triumph.
The '04 has the "whizzy" brakes that the '01 didn't have. Completely different ABS system. The whine you hear is normal, and if you squeeze the brake harder, you'll her the whine change pitch. If the brake lamp on the dash is flashing fast, you don't have power-assist (yet). If it stays flashing, you might push the brake lever out or lift the brake pedal to see if that clears it. Also, I believe the '01 didn't apply the rear brake with the front lever, but the '04 does. There are also three reservoirs, one on the front brake lever and two (in one container) on the right side. Has two caps, one for the rear, one for the front. The one on the front lever is for the path from the lever to the ABS. The dual-chamber front brake is the supply for the path from the ABS to the front wheels. The rear chamber is combined for both the pedal path to the ABS and the ABS to the rear cylinder. Low levels will cause the ABS alarm light to flash on the dash board, so you need to know there are three places for fluid. Per BMW marketing, the "power" part of the power brakes adds 1/10 of a second to your reaction time.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Sze
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 5:06 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by billbeemer
one trick: at stoplights from neutral, sometimes the tranny doesnt want to go into 1st gear. if u quickly go to 1st after grabbing clutch, it will fall right in.
Hmmm. In my experience, this typically happens only on a cool/cold morning when the bike hasn't completely warmed up.

Once at operating temp however, it shifts like silk.

Black 2002 K1200RS - "The Beast" (over 100k miles)
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 2007, 1:06 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razel
The '04 has the "whizzy" brakes that the '01 didn't have. Completely different ABS system. The whine you hear is normal, and if you squeeze the brake harder, you'll her the whine change pitch. If the brake lamp on the dash is flashing fast, you don't have power-assist (yet). If it stays flashing, you might push the brake lever out or lift the brake pedal to see if that clears it. Also, I believe the '01 didn't apply the rear brake with the front lever, but the '04 does. There are also three reservoirs, one on the front brake lever and two (in one container) on the right side. Has two caps, one for the rear, one for the front. The one on the front lever is for the path from the lever to the ABS. The dual-chamber front brake is the supply for the path from the ABS to the front wheels. The rear chamber is combined for both the pedal path to the ABS and the ABS to the rear cylinder. Low levels will cause the ABS alarm light to flash on the dash board, so you need to know there are three places for fluid. Per BMW marketing, the "power" part of the power brakes adds 1/10 of a second to your reaction time.
Thanks for that info; I didn't realize the ABS sys was different on the '04. I did notice the resorvoir on the back.

"We deal in lead, friend"
----------------------------
'04 K12RS (capri blue)
'07 Triumph Speed Triple
'00 HD Road King

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode