2003 GT, what a pain in the behind.. - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 2007, 8:34 pm Thread Starter

2003 GT, what a pain in the behind..

..if you want to do some maintenance yourself. Today I decided to replace the headlight bulbs with hi performance halogen bulbs. What a mistake, I really wish I never done it.

Five hours later my bike has four fairings parts still on the floor, I broke one of the small hooks that hold the spring for the headlight, and the cover's retaining clip now came off from both sides and I don't know how to put it back on because I have no idea where it engage on either side.

This is ridicules. I'm so mad that at this moment I think German engineering is a joke. Having to go to a dealer to replace a light bulb is umbelievable. Another situation like this and the bike will be gone for sure.

In the mean time I wonder if anyone could help me with putting the parts together. I don't have a service manual yet so I'm kind of lost.
I would like to know where the retaining clip hooks up on the side of the bulbs cover. This is the wire metal which is about 9" long and has a hook on each side.There is no room to see anything and I have no idea where to start.

If anyone has done this before or has a service manual could you please let me know where this clip connects to?

If anyone wants to e-mail me directly this is my e-mail address:

[email protected]

Thank you very much for any help.

Pier

'87 K100LT
'00 Valkyrie I/S
'05 K1200LT

'03 KRS - Sold in 2006
'04 R1150RT - Sold in 2006
'03 K1200GT - Sold in 2009
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 2007, 9:18 pm
Will ride for picts

It's a lot easier if you remove all of the front fairing bits (which it sounds like you've done), and then unbolt the headlamp assembly and pull it out (it's only held in with three screws IIRC).

Sierra Cement: Good for skis, bad for knees.

www.rhhall.smugmug.com
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 2007, 9:41 pm
Addict

Here's a couple of pix that should help. The ends of the "hoop" that retains the cover go into these little holes on the side of the headlight unit.

If you were simply replacing bulbs, it wasn't necessary to remove plastic. And as for the low beam bulb, in order to undo the clip, you have to pinch the two little loops (the loops go around these little hook-like protrusions to hold the bulb in place) then swivel the clip away. The bulb then comes right out.

Oh, and don't lose your cool. With this DB at your disposal, you have a gold mine of experience and knowledge to tap into, so take advantage of it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cover.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	4774   Click image for larger version

Name:	bulbs.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	4775  

Black 2002 K1200RS - "The Beast" (over 100k miles)

Last edited by carnadero; Apr 5th, 2007 at 10:21 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 2007, 10:25 pm
Will ride for picts

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnadero

If you were simply replacing bulbs, it wasn't necessary to remove plastic. ...
On a GT, it is almost necessary to remove the tupperware. The windscreen motor limits access to the back of the headlamp assembly, and there is no room to manuever the access cover out of the way.

I did a bulb replacement a couple years ago, and found out the hard way that removing the plastic was the way to go. Still, it only took me an hour or so....

Sierra Cement: Good for skis, bad for knees.

www.rhhall.smugmug.com
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 2007, 10:31 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhhall
On a GT, it is almost necessary to remove the tupperware. The windscreen motor limits access to the back of the headlamp assembly, and there is no room to manuever the access cover out of the way.
Ah, I see. Check.

Black 2002 K1200RS - "The Beast" (over 100k miles)
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 2007, 11:33 pm Thread Starter

Thank you very much for your helpful suggestions. I removed the front fairing and I was able to see where the retainer hooks up and from there I was done in no time.

If I have to replace a bulb again in the future I'll remove the front fairing and the head lamp. I remember about 2 years ago replacing the bulb on my KRS but it didn't seem thit complicated. There is praticaly no room to enter with your hands even to get the bulb out. The reason why it took me five hours is because I broke one the hook that holds the small bulb retainer. With a 12" long steel hand saw I then cut a groove on the plastic very slowly to build a new hook for the retainer. Fortunately I was successful and the retainer is still secured. If that hadn't work I would have had to replace the entire headlamp assembly.

Anyway, I was very frustrated at first, but I'm glad I solve the problem. I still believe BMW are very complicated bikes to work on, at least in comparison to other brands.

Thank you again for you prompt replies

Pier

'87 K100LT
'00 Valkyrie I/S
'05 K1200LT

'03 KRS - Sold in 2006
'04 R1150RT - Sold in 2006
'03 K1200GT - Sold in 2009
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 2007, 1:48 am
Looking for better limits...

Heh...gawd, that reminds me...

I spend 2 hours trying to replace the bulb per the manual (written for the RS and not the GT) before putting it all back together 'cause I'd gotten too frustrated. Ended up the next day being sucessful. Went up to Raffyk's to help with a heated seat upgrade, and got a much better bulb for the high beam. Took some of the plastic off, but not all. After many bad words and the efforts of the three of us, I had a new high-beam bulb in place. Someone (I can't remember) said it might just be easier to pull the headlamp out next time.

Next time came (bulb burn out) and I was not jamming my hand behind the headlamp anymore...

Now, the plastic always comes off. I can get the lamp replaced and be on the bike riding in a half hour. Cordless screwdriver? Shoot...maybe 20 minutes.

By the way...just in case you didn't know, the clip that holds the wiring plug to the headlamp (on the clutch-side of the headlamp) doesn't pull off...it gets pushed toward the brake-lever side and then you pull the plug off of the headlamp. That way, you don't lose the retaining clip.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Sze
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 2007, 7:45 pm

Cool

BTDT.
I can feel your pain.
When the clip came out of the two little side holes I managed to blindly get one back into place.
The next two hours of pin the tail on the donkey were spent mentally balancing the time I was going to save by not having to take the plastic off.
The next hour was spent removing the plastic and cleaning all the scrapes on my hands and arms.
Will definitely go the correct way next time. :}
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 2007, 6:57 am
Enthusiast

I think most have had the same first experience with the damn bulb. Scrapes and gouges in hand trying to follow the little booklet which comes with the bike. Space to work is necessary! (unless you have little spindly arms and hands like some alien )

03K12RS
:wtf Joel Callan :wtf
Milwaukee, WI 53222

Homepage

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode