600 Mile Maintenance - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 2007, 10:28 am Thread Starter
Rookie

600 Mile Maintenance

This probably has been covered a few times, but here it goes.
Whats in 600mile maintenance, my bike is about 900 miles and AFAIK it still has all the factory fluids.
Ridding season in Calgary is a bit late starting this year, for us guys without snow tires
This is my first K and just sold my 04RT (still in my garage....no snow tires) and I'm looking forward to enjoying it this summer and maybe jumping into a 06 or 07 KGT.
As I'm a newbie in the K world all info is apreciated.

Thanks
FF
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 2007, 10:36 am
Addict

skip it

if i had it to do over again, i would change oil myself at 600 and ride on. dealers regularly charge hundreds of dollars for "scheduled" maintenance, and do little if anything. i paid for 6k and 12k service that supposedly included checking valves. i finally, at 24k, decided to go in and check some things myself. valve covers had never been off. nor had gas filter ever been changed. so now i do all of it myself. shame on dealers!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 2007, 10:45 am
Enthusiast

From the Clymer manual:
Read fault memory with MoDiTeC unit
Perform bleed test on ABS with MoDiTeC unit
Check throttle free play
Change engine oil and filter
Change final drive oil
Check clutch fluid
Check front and rear brake fluid and adjust if nec.
Check cooling system for leaks
Check coolant level and concentration
Check sidestand switch operation
Check rear wheel bolt tightness
Check swingarm bearing play; adjust if nec.
Perform safety checks
Road test

Since it appears your bike has not been serviced before in it's initial three years, you will also have to have annual service done which includes the additional work:

Change brake fluid in wheel circuit (integral ABS)
Replace coolant
Chack battery connections and clean if nec.
Lubricate sidestand switch bearing
Check centerstand operation
Change clutch fluid (part of two-year service schedule)
Change transmission oil (part of two-year service schedule)
Change brake fluid in control circuit (part of two-year service schedule)

Do what you can yourself if your handy with that kind of thing and save yourself some $.

'03 K1200GT

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 2007, 3:52 pm
Veteran

the first svc is a rip.....then again you might have a problem with warranty if you dont have it done....they do a brake press and bleed test...that is what cost the big $....i just about flipped when i got my bill.....for an oil change......yes they check all the fluids and talk a big game...but to me if i had a problem i would have told them....not only that..but...for a bike that is brand new....that shit should be free..i ll give them the oil change...but beyond that....no way should they charge for the other "test"...and "level checks"....ITS brand new!....didnt it just have pre sale prep.....to me thats a weeks riding time....they cant stand behind their product after 600 miles?.....it makes no sense...what if something they checked was wrong...wouldnt it be coverd?..what would they do?...charge to find the problem then fix it for free?..... :wtf or maybe screw everything up that they look at ..and it wont cost a dime? :wtf

Last edited by BAK04GT; Apr 7th, 2007 at 4:01 pm.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 2007, 7:59 pm
"DELIVERS"

Yeah!

1000% agree with you!!

'04 GT...Orient Blue...Staintune...Ohlins...Power Commander
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 2007, 8:19 pm
Looking for better limits...

Quote:
Originally Posted by star57
This probably has been covered a few times, but here it goes.
Whats in 600mile maintenance, my bike is about 900 miles and AFAIK it still has all the factory fluids.
Ridding season in Calgary is a bit late starting this year, for us guys without snow tires
This is my first K and just sold my 04RT (still in my garage....no snow tires) and I'm looking forward to enjoying it this summer and maybe jumping into a 06 or 07 KGT.
As I'm a newbie in the K world all info is apreciated.

Thanks
FF
Well, since the last production GT was a 2005 model, I'd say it's time to change all the fluids...engine, tranny, and rear-end. I don't know what time you have on the warranty, but other than the brakes (???) or coolant (again, ???) I wouldn't worry about anything else listed in the 600 mile service. If they say you need the inspection, tell them your warranty is still good, and if anything breaks, you expect it to be covered. If they want to check at no charge, by all means, let them knock themselves out.

If the brake fluid is relatively close to clear, I'd leave it. Coolant is recommended to be changed every two years (used to be once a year, but somebody in the basement back in Berlin changed things). At the 12k mile service, they do more, but here in the U.S., the service is a customer-request item (I found out...)

Oh, and get some miles on that thing...you're abusing it otherwise. And, I'd hold off a bit on the new GT until they get the bugs worked out. First couple of years on the K1200's were similar...ironing out the glitches, then they were relatively trouble free.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Söze
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 2007, 9:22 am Thread Starter
Rookie

600 Mile maintenance

Thanks guys for all the coments, in the next few days I will do the oil, providing I can get an oil filter.
F...k I went to the stealer parts department in Calgary, asked the chic behind the computer for an oil filter, she typed and clicked for 10 minutes and than she says " I guess we dont have it" the goof next to her started trying to outsmart her and took another 5 minutes of my time and said... we dont have it! but we can order for you, I said " its a fricking shame that the deler for a leading name brand, does not have a fricking oil filter at the beginning of the biking season" by then I was f...ing furious, I told them I would order it from another source and left.

The bike is still under warranty till September of this year, but I doubt that I will take it in as it would be the last bike they would service since it came from the US, the Canadian service Departments dont hide the fact that they will give shitty service to anyone that buys in the US may it be bikes or cars.
My Dentist bought his 06 kGT in Seatle and after 200 miles the engine had to be changed and it was not an easy task to get it done.

Now that I vented enough can I ask how the tranny oil is changed or should I get the tupper ware out and figure it out on my own...

Have a HAPPY EASTER :p

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode