Wobble @ 60 mph? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 2007, 12:11 pm Thread Starter

Wobble @ 60 mph?

Yesterday I noticed that when crusing at 60 mph and I take both hands of the handle bars, the front end starts to shake/wobble violently. Interestingly, it only does it at 60; any faster or slower it's solid as a rock. I am not sure if it's tire wear or balance or something else. I have never experienced this in 24,000 miles with this bike. Anyone with similar experiences? Lou
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 2007, 12:49 pm
Noob

Wobble

The K12RS should run as if it was on rails. First guess would be the front tire, second a bad steering head bearing. Check for play with the bike on Center Stand and a buddy on the rear seat to make the front wheel come up.

Jrgen
Spokane
04K1200RS
04R1150GSAdv
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 2007, 7:04 pm
Rookie

front wheel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Lou
Yesterday I noticed that when crusing at 60 mph and I take both hands of the handle bars, the front end starts to shake/wobble violently. Interestingly, it only does it at 60; any faster or slower it's solid as a rock. I am not sure if it's tire wear or balance or something else. I have never experienced this in 24,000 miles with this bike. Anyone with similar experiences? Lou
I have a similar issue...however I noticed mine well into triple digits.
I noticed it shortly after having new tires installed for a ride to Canda (from NY)
On a nice empty long strip of road, I opened it up a lil for the first time since buying the RS only a few weeks prior.
At approx 125mph, I started to feel a wobble, at 130, it got worse. Anything under 115 was perfectly fine. (I was fine with that number for the remainder of the trip.)
When I returned home, I called the dealer...I was somewhat apprehensive describing my problem of wobbles at 125mph...it didn't phase the service manager and he had it picked up and checked out.
The front rim has a tiny dent...they balanced it and to this day I have not had an opprortunity to get it back up to 125mph. They recommended leaving it alone or buying a new rim. I left it alone...for now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 2007, 4:52 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jurgen
The K12RS should run as if it was on rails. First guess would be the front tire, second a bad steering head bearing. Check for play with the bike on Center Stand and a buddy on the rear seat to make the front wheel come up.
Yes, that's what mine is like - runs on rails. The steering damper should also be checked, but these bikes should run pretty true without it. If you start to get the wobble at 60 then decelerate with light touch on the bars and if the wobble gets worse, heading for the 'tank slapper syndrome' there's a real problem to look at.

Most other bikes can do this and their steering dampers are essential for front stability. In the time I've ridden my KRS I've not been able to make this happen at 60, with or without the damper fitted so I believe it's a very stable bike. The only time I felt the damper was helpful was riding roads with a rough grooved surface and the front steering was more predictable. I'm a Luddite still on Bridgestone BT020s and a new front tire does feel sensitive as if on an ice skate for the first hundred miles, I think that's normal. Then it just goes solid until the next tire change.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 2007, 7:26 am
Addict

sometimes a front end wobble is caused by the rear wheel/tire.Tire wear and pressure are pretty touchy.Cracks in frame near steering head or swingarm will cause problems.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 2007, 8:11 pm
Addict

I had same problem at 20,000 did all the tire things and at 24,000 put on new front and rear shock, from Works.
That was the fix for my wobble.

Bazra
aka: The Flash
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 2007, 12:04 pm Thread Starter

I replaced the tires and solved the problem (they had about 9K on them anyway). Thanks for the help. Lou

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode