Broken Speedometer Drive unit. - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 2007, 5:28 pm Thread Starter

Thumbs down Broken Speedometer Drive unit.

Someone please tell me the dealer is totally wrong here. I just got my KRS serviced with the speedo doing the needle bump thing. It reads anywhere from 0 to 25, no matter what speed you are doing. It just started doing this recently. The dealer says it is a broken ring on the drive unit and the cost is at least $1,000 for the unit plus labor and misc parts. We're talking the ring and pinion. Anyone experience this before? It seems like a magnetic pick up on a ring (if that is what it really is) would be repairable and not replaceable. Your input is greatly appreciated. I'm picking up the bike and going to go to another mechanic and see what he may think it is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 2007, 5:53 pm
Veteran

It could very well be a faulted ring gear. And $1000 sounds about right.

It would be a lot cheaper to carry a low-end GPS. But your contacts will let you know if there is a chance of pieces of speedometer pickup parts floating around in the rear drive just waiting to get caught-up in the ring & pinion.

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST

Last edited by brucecha; Apr 10th, 2007 at 7:05 pm.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 2007, 6:27 pm

Bummer, $1000 for a speedo...that's not fair.
I feel for ya.
FlagGS

'04 K1200RS
'07 R1200RT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 2007, 6:40 pm
Addict

Give Palo Alto Speedometer a call and see if they can help you out.

Black 2002 K1200RS - "The Beast" (over 100k miles)
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 2007, 6:45 pm Thread Starter

It's not the speedo. It's the ring and pinion. There is a ring pressed onto the ring and pinion and the dealer said this has come loose in the rear drive unit and they want me to pay to replace it. Cost is $1,000 plus labor. I just got off the phone with Mitch's Motorcycle and the service tech gave me some good input on how to check it and other things to check out as well. I even asked if the ring could be pressed back on or if it was a lost cause. We'll see.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 2007, 7:07 pm
Addict

Oh, oh, oh, okay I see what the deal is.

That $1000, was that the price you were given if the dealership did all the work? If so, you might be able to save a little if you are mechanically capable and can take the FD off the bike and drop off the unit at Mitch's, no?

Unless of course Mitch's is able to do it all for you for a better price than what was initially quoted....

Black 2002 K1200RS - "The Beast" (over 100k miles)
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 2007, 7:14 pm Thread Starter

This had to happen now. I'm buying a new BMW and a guy I know wants my bike real bad. This had to break now. I guess the old girl is putting up a fight and doesn't want to leave. And if she does leave, she's trying to take half my money with her. I didn't know it was possible to divorce a motorcycle.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 2007, 9:30 am
Addict

From what I remember from other posts, the ring is a 'friction fit'. Somebody once shone a flashlight through the sensor hole and managed to slide the ring to a point where it seized back on (That'll cost less than $1000!). I suspect the reason you are being quoted this much is they might have to dismantle the rear drive and re-shim it, something they may send away and get others to do, adding on their markups.

My 'needle bump thing' wasn't this fortunately. Look under the seat on the right side top rail and you'll see a bunch of wiring connectors. One of these is for the speedo sensor pair. Carefully pull out each 'bullet' connector and you'll probably find 'green stuff' around the contacts. Clean each bullet and socket with an electrical switch or contact cleaner. You may be back on the road with a working speedo sooner and cheaper than you think. This problem occurs because water runs off the bottom seat edge and goes straight on the connectors. Sometimes riders complain of speedo problems when it's wet - that's the reason.

The only way you can confirm if it's the ring is either seeing if it moves free by poking a small probe through the sensor hole, or put an oscilloscope on the sensor and see what comes off it with the rear wheel running.

Don't assume the ring is broken as in 'fractured' - that would suggest metal fragments in your expensive final drive. The dealer could have more accurately described the problem as 'a failure of the BMW bonding, which due to its inaccessible location inside the rear drive, is going to cost a lot to fix'.

I hope you got same same problem as me with electrical connection contacts and you save a bundle of $$$'s.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Last edited by voxmagna; Apr 11th, 2007 at 11:09 am.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 2007, 1:20 pm

I had a speedo bounce on my old K75 due to a bad sensor at the rear wheel. It cost less than $200 to have it replaced way back when.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 2007, 2:52 pm Thread Starter

I wish it was the sensor. It's the sensor ring inside the differential

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode