Clip on luggage rack fitment - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 2007, 11:27 pm Thread Starter

Clip on luggage rack fitment

I just got a used rack for my, err.. rack. The problem I see right away is that it pops into the bike rack just fine but the fit is very loose and can easily come off with the latch still locked. Is this clamp somehow adjustable to get a snug fit? what am I missing here?

I noticed the clip on rack mentioned in a couple of other threads about known problems with this accessory, is there a simple resolution?

thx

Marty S.
2010 Ducati Multistrada 1200s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 2007, 2:32 am
Looking for better limits...

OOOoookay.
I take it you have a lockable, claw-type thigamajig that mounts one the oddly-shaped tail section, no?
The larger claws are fixed and go toward the front of the bike, the smaller ones are movable and lock to the rear-most portion of the fixed "rack". They're supposed to have a piece of rubber on all four "claws". I'm betting that some or all are missing. The one I have has the rubber, but they're all somewhat disformed from not being set right into their mount points to the point that they'll be mis-formed from now on. But, the lockable "rack" is solidly attached, no motion at all (probably because the dyslexic rubber jams where it's needed).

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Sze
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 2007, 5:18 am
Veteran

There are also 2(hard to notice at first glance) rubber bumpers on the bottom of the clip-on rack that have to be compressed slightly to install the rack on.... um the rack.

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 2007, 10:56 am Thread Starter

yup, you've both described exactly what I have. Are the rubber pieces replaceable? The ones on the lockable rear piece are deformed slightly, but even if they weren't the distance from the front claw to the rear claw is short by about 1/8 inch. I'm going to try to ride over to my local dealer today if the rain lets up and ask him to take a look for me to see if I'm missing something.

Marty S.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 2007, 6:30 pm Thread Starter

ok, its not me. I just got back from my local dealer who luckily had a new clip on rack on the shelf. It looked almost identical to the used one I bought except the rubber mounts under the front section were quite a bit taller than those on the used rack. The new one snapped right into place and didn't budge. I think this used one is just worn out, hopefully I can return it to the ebay guy I bought it from (his ad said returns allowed within 7 days).

If I can get him to take it back, I think I'll just get a new one from A&S Cycles.

Marty S.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 2007, 3:17 am

Clip on Luggage Rack

I have the same rack, just checked you can get the rubber blocks as replacement parts, maybe be cheaper than buying new

Roads - the best ones always connect nowhere with nowhere and have an alternative that is quicker
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 2007, 6:23 am

The rubber blocks on the rear, moveable, "claws" are somewhat mangled on my rack, but it currently holds just fine. Still, I wouldn't mind replacing them with nice new ones. If you buy just the blocks, let us know how it goes (how you attached them, how well it grabs the bike rack, etc).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	claw_block.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	4849  
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 2007, 11:29 am

Luggage Rack

Key to long term life of the rubber spacers, place downward pressure on the rear of the rack when mounting...this way you provide clearance for the spacers before you move the latch to a closed position. If you're really anal about this issue, you do have room to use a thin nylon web strap to fish over and under the locking mechanism (but not around the device attached to the locking mechanism) and the factory luggage rack to hold it securely in place...only drawback is if you want to remove the entire assembly while on a trip, you have to loosen the strap.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 2007, 9:43 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kperson
The rubber blocks on the rear, moveable, "claws" are somewhat mangled on my rack, but it currently holds just fine. Still, I wouldn't mind replacing them with nice new ones. If you buy just the blocks, let us know how it goes (how you attached them, how well it grabs the bike rack, etc).

Glue them back in position with a good rubber cement then clamp the rack in place until it cures. You can save some bucks!

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 2007, 9:43 pm Thread Starter

thanks for the help everone. the seller has agreed to take the rack back so that's where it's going. I'm going to rethink the clip on rack thing in general now that I've actually seen and played with one.

Marty S.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode