Has anyone installed an Ohlins Damper on their KRS? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 2007, 10:46 am Thread Starter

Has anyone installed an Ohlins Damper on their KRS?

If so, did you mount it with a secondary mount or did you use their universal damper that comes with the mount that's made into the body of the damper?
I have a Duciti 996 with an Ohlins on it along with a mounting block and it looks as though the Harris mount would work perfectly for our KRS set up. If not, it should be easy to rework it on a mill so that it does.

Jerry
K1200RS
Ducati 996
KLR 250
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 2007, 8:16 am
Enthusiast

I used the HyperPro with great results. The active damping offered by HyperPro is unique and makes sense to me. Got a great deal from Exotic Sportbikes. You can find them online.

I have Ohlins front and rear on my 02 KRS, but after reviewing all the specs, chose HyperPro for damping.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 2007, 10:09 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by budcarrigan
Got a great deal from Exotic Sportbikes.
Out of curiosity, did you get your stuff promptly, or did it take a while?

Black 2002 K1200RS - "The Beast" (over 100k miles)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 2007, 10:40 am

so, I'm "new" to steering dampers, how exactly do they change the ride and under what conditions? what makes a good one vs an ok one vs a waste of money? I know our RS's come with one, but I don't know what to look for or feel for while riding to see if it's doing a good job or not. thx.

Marty S.
2010 Ducati Multistrada 1200s
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 2007, 6:57 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnadero
I ordered from same site, took a couple of weeks for the Hyperpro damper (not in stock). Good price and worth the wait, my bike was being serviced (was during the winter). Believe Pirate has Hyperpro in stock in black color.

03K12RS
:wtf Joel Callan :wtf
Milwaukee, WI 53222

Homepage
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 2007, 7:09 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by martys
so, I'm "new" to steering dampers, how exactly do they change the ride and under what conditions? what makes a good one vs an ok one vs a waste of money? I know our RS's come with one, but I don't know what to look for or feel for while riding to see if it's doing a good job or not. thx.
With bike on center stand, weight on back tire so front is clear of ground. You should be able to feel some resistance to rapid movements of steering left to right and right to left. Slow movements in either direction should be no resistance.

Damper is designed to stop oscillations in steering which can occur when front wheel momentarily becomes airborn at speed. Sometimes people will refer to tankslapper in which the steering begins to oscillate violently causing instability of the front end of bike.

Generally it is somewhat difficult to cause this unstable condition, but suppose you are flying down a 2 lane hwy at about 90 or so and enter a sweeping curve, if a bump or dip in the roadway causes your front end to momentarily loose contact with the road surface, the potential for oscillation is now present when your front tire returns to contact with the pavement. The damper is designed to minimize this event.

03K12RS
:wtf Joel Callan :wtf
Milwaukee, WI 53222

Homepage
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 2007, 7:33 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03k12RS
Generally it is somewhat difficult to cause this unstable condition, but ...
Don't know if our Beemers will do this, but while decelerating and the throttle closed, take your hands off the grips and give one of them a somewhat vigorous whack in either direction of the steering axis. If you're not going fast then it probably won't result in a full-fledged tankslapper, but the oscillating effect should be apparent.

Black 2002 K1200RS - "The Beast" (over 100k miles)
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 2007, 9:07 am
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnadero
When I ordered HyperPro was out of stock everywhere I checked. It took about a month for shipments to arrive in the US. Exotic Sportbikes shipped as soon as they received. The inventory problem was with HyperPro and not ES. The wait turned out to be worth it. I first ordered what I thought was a HyperPro active damper from Pirates. He shipped a linear unit made by Wilburs. That wasn't what I wanted, and Pirate accepted return without a problem. I then went to Exotic and got the unit at a significant savings. $280 delivered.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 2007, 9:09 am
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03k12RS
I ordered from same site, took a couple of weeks for the Hyperpro damper (not in stock). Good price and worth the wait, my bike was being serviced (was during the winter). Believe Pirate has Hyperpro in stock in black color.
Pirate sells Wilburs. It's a linear unit and not active like the HyperPro. No comparison IMO. And more expensive. I guess the Pirate has to eat.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 2007, 5:32 pm Thread Starter

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by budcarrigan
When I ordered HyperPro.......I then went to Exotic and got the unit at a significant savings. $280 delivered.
Did that include the mount or did you have to spend an extra $79.99 to get the mount for it ?

Jerry
K1200RS
Ducati 996
KLR 250

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode