Brake Bleeding on K12RS - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 2007, 9:56 pm Thread Starter

Brake Bleeding on K12RS

Is it me or does everyone else with an older RS not have a bleed valve on the right side claiper? I just installed new SS brake lines, thanks Pirate, and am bleeding the system and guess what, no bleed valve on the right side. I guess they expect you to go to the local parts shop and buy one, but how lame is that? Not really asking for advice, just venting.
Are these valves proprietary?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 2007, 10:09 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenTurner
...and guess what, no bleed valve on the right side.
Doesn't sound right to me.

Black 2002 K1200RS - "The Beast" (over 100k miles)
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 2007, 3:11 am

No Bleed Valve ??

Nope that does not sound right to me either. What do you have in the caliper a blanking screw ? My '98 has what you would expect and has always had them !!

Roads - the best ones always connect nowhere with nowhere and have an alternative that is quicker
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 2007, 1:17 am Thread Starter

Bleeding brakes on K12RS

Went to the dealer today and found two other RS with the same setup as mine. The service tech said it is quite common and doesn't make any sense to her either. Bought a bleed valve, $9.95 thank you, and took the stock "plug" out and replaced it with the new valve. Guess it's just another way for BMW parts to get us.
Life goes on.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 2007, 12:08 pm
Enthusiast

"Missing" bleed screw

BMW installed this device on all their bikes about 1999 in clutch and brake circuits. It is loctited in where you would normally find a bleed screw. It has a check valve in it that allows the factory to fill the system from the bottom, greatly reducing the time needed to fill and bleed the system. By removing what looks like a set screw in this device, you can (temporarily) install a bleed screw.

This set screw is frequently seized in the body of the quick fill device and the easiest way out is to permanently remove the device and replace it with a conventional bleeder. You'll note that I mentioned that the device is loctited in; usually it can be removed with vice-grips or the like. Some carefully applied heat helps.

If the set screw is not seized and you wish to save the money of purchasing a spare bleeder, borrow one from the rear caliper. You were going to bleed that circuit, too weren't you?

I see frequent mention of braided lines from The Pirate-has anyone tried Bob's?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 2007, 2:43 pm Thread Starter

Missing bleed screw

I thought Bob just told BMW to FO. Saw a note on their website explaining how Bob got all disgruntled at a dealer meeting and said screw it and converted his shop to a Harley Davidson dealership.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 2007, 4:24 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenTurner
I thought Bob just told BMW to FO. Saw a note on their website explaining how Bob got all disgruntled at a dealer meeting and said screw it and converted his shop to a Harley Davidson dealership.

Black 2002 K1200RS - "The Beast" (over 100k miles)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode