Tight squeeze removing rear wheel - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 2007, 7:18 am Thread Starter

Tight squeeze removing rear wheel

I picked up my new-to-me '03 K12RS over the winter and am just now able to start putting some miles on it. A couple of weeks ago, I pulled the wheels and put on a new set of tires. I noticed that it's a pretty tight squeeze fitting the wheel between the exhaust and the hub. The tire rubbed firmly against the exhaust for an inch or two. The previous owner apparently did this when the exhaust was hot because there is a baked-on patch of rubber on the right side of the can.

A few questions:
-- Is it typical for this to be such a tight squeeze? It must be even worse for those of you with a 5.5" rim and 180 tire.
-- I considered loosening, or even detaching, the exhaust hanger to allow a bit of play, does that seem like a reasonable thing to do, or will the unsupported weight be a problem?
-- Any suggestions for getting the baked-on rubber off of the can? A fingernail doesn't budge it, I think I'll have to use some solvent or chemical on it -- but what?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 2007, 10:56 am
Rookie

Yes it,s tight getting the rear wheel off. I sure as hell wouldn't attempt to do it with a hot exhaust. I have a pad made up of a 3/4 and 1/4 plywood that I put under the center stand when I change the back tire. I also loosen the muffler hanger. It's still tight getting the tire off but its better then without the spacer.

When you get the rubber off its probably going to leave a mark. I burned the exhaust on my last bike with my rainsuit and it left a mark after I got done. I think I used bug & tar remover to get the rubber off. I won't swear to that.

Good Luck
Charlie
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 2007, 11:22 am

Lightbulb Tight Squeeze Yes

Good advice from the earlier reply. I have the 5.5" wheel, never have to loosen the exhaust pipe, but I do remove the rear brake assembly a thirty second job. One trick is you may have to slant the wheel and tire to get past the exhaust. I never do it with the bike warm. Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 2007, 12:55 pm
Enthusiast

To clean the stock exhaust can, steel wool (super fine) will do a nice job along with a little elbow grease. Do this when the stock can is cool. You can do it when the can is hot but really makes it impossible to get burned if can is cool.

03K12RS
:wtf Joel Callan :wtf
Milwaukee, WI 53222

Homepage
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 2007, 7:02 pm

Gooooooooooooood advice about the ply wood. I have had to take my back wheel out today as my RS failed it's mot on a rear warped disc? yesterday. I also have a 5.5 wheel and 180 tyre.

Took all of about 20mins, stood the bike on the centre stand on a piece of hardwood about a 2" tall and wide enough for the stand to fit, give it a hefty pull and up she goes.

Talke the brake disc off, hugger if you have one, pop it in gear and undo the 5 bolts, drop the wheel complete with backing plate and angle it sideways, pop it into neutral and rotate the disc and it pushes the wheel out....simple and very painless.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 2007, 1:06 pm
Enthusiast

Re:Tight Squeeze

Could you send a pic. of where it's so tight? I have a 6" AC Schnitzer rim with a 190 and as far as I can tell there is nothing that's as close as what your saying? My bike is an "02" so there might be something a little diffarent but I'm not sure, but there is one thing I used to have to do with my "82" CX-500 Turbo and that was I'd air the tire all the way down first then the tire would go right on and I had to do that because my stock tire was only a 120 and I put on a 130 and it would even rub for a few miles! Ahhhh good times! :-)
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 2007, 8:54 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007007
Could you send a pic. of where it's so tight? I have a 6" AC Schnitzer rim with a 190 and as far as I can tell there is nothing that's as close as what your saying? My bike is an "02" so there might be something a little diffarent but I'm not sure, but there is one thing I used to have to do with my "82" CX-500 Turbo and that was I'd air the tire all the way down first then the tire would go right on and I had to do that because my stock tire was only a 120 and I put on a 130 and it would even rub for a few miles! Ahhhh good times! :-)
Well I'd probably have to unbolt the rear tire and start rolling it out the back to get a pic of exactly what was binding, and that's probably not going to happen again until I wear out the new tires (only 450 miles on them now...). My bike is an '03, don't know if there was a change after '02 to make the difference between yours and mine... It could simply be that the muffler and hanger position are just a bit different from bike to bike. FWIW, the bike was just on the center stand, maybe if it were higher, the tire would be lined up better to slide out? Maybe I'll find out next time.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 2007, 10:03 pm
Will ride for picts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007007
Could you send a pic. of where it's so tight? ...
As luck would have it, my rear wheel has been off for the last week, been meaning to take it in for a new tire...

The pinch point is between the exhaust can on the left side, ...

... and the brake caliper on the right.

You're supposed to remove the caliper, but I don't. I loosen the can, and then give the tire a few good kicks to get it passed the pinch point.

Be careful that you don't knock the bike off it's center stand.

And yes, I know it's filthy dirty, but that's what happens when you ride.

Sierra Cement: Good for skis, bad for knees.

www.rhhall.smugmug.com
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 2007, 8:31 pm
Enthusiast

Re:Tight Squeeze

LOL! Well it's good to see that you do use your bike! I was wondering if it might be the exhaust after my last post, I forgot to mention that I have an after market Remuse but the brake caliper things is a bit of a mystery to me. Glad you solved it.:-)
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 2007, 8:51 pm
Veteran

Richard

Is that a 5.0" or 5.5" rear wheel that you are able to kick in there.
I have a 5.5" and it's a pain to remove the brake caliper to remove the wheel. I have been thinking about your method, but haven't had the courage to try it.
How about removing the wheel? You don't kick it out too, or do you??

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode