Ohlins Front & Rear Electronic Control - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 2007, 6:18 pm Thread Starter

Ohlins Front & Rear Electronic Control

Has anybody on this forum tried out or heard anything of the Ohlins remote electronic control front and rear shocks. Not cheap, about $400 more than the normal Ohlins for a K12RS/Gt but are they worth it

regrds Nigeldav

Roads - the best ones always connect nowhere with nowhere and have an alternative that is quicker
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 2007, 8:05 pm
Rookie

Thumbs up

I installed the electronically adjustable shocks on my '97 K12RS last year. The electronic feature, while limited to compression damping (not preload or rebound), is useful and makes a noticeable difference when you want to tailor response for differing road or load conditions. On the whole, I'd say they're worth the extra $.

Glen M.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 2007, 12:48 am

I just ordered the non-ESA Ohlins last week. I spent quite a bit of time on the phone with Dan Kyle from Kyle racing and for me, it wasn't worth the extra $$, which I could use towards a new Zumo instead. Once you get your suspension dialed in, you should rarely need to change it. Getting the right springs, getting rebound and compression set right and knowing how and when to adjust the preload will make you one happy rider.

Marty S.
2010 Ducati Multistrada 1200s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 2007, 5:39 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by martys
Once you get your suspension dialed in, you should rarely need to change it. Getting the right springs, getting rebound and compression set right and knowing how and when to adjust the preload will make you one happy rider.
I'm not so sure about this. I have a standard set of Ohlins and I find that adjusting the compression dampering to a harder setting on the rear shock before I start a ride up into the Mt's makes the bike feel a whole lot nicer in the turns than if I don't do this. I end up backing it off afterwards so the ride is more comfortable while I'm on the Fwy.
Granted...I can make the adjustments without getting off the bike while at a stop but it would be cool to do it while I'm riding.

Jerry
K1200RS
Ducati 996
KLR 250
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 2007, 3:52 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigeldav
Has anybody on this forum tried out or heard anything of the Ohlins remote electronic control front and rear shocks. Not cheap, about $400 more than the normal Ohlins for a K12RS/Gt but are they worth it

regrds Nigeldav
Save your money, doubt you'll mess with the settings much once dialed. Plus the added complexity in my opinion is just another thing for a potential problem... K.I.S.S.
BTW, I have a regular set on mine and love them, and the thing I end up changing the most often is preload.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 2007, 8:13 am
Enthusiast

I have regular Ohlins front and rear on my 02 KRS. If I had it to do over I'd go with the EC. Fast, easy, on the fly adjustment of pre-load is worth the money IMO.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 2007, 9:06 am

The bottom line is BOTH the non-ESA and the ESA shocks are a huge improvement over the stock shocks. Whether you want to or need to upgrade to the ESA version is a personal choice, and a choice you should base on your riding style and needs.

Talk to someone who's in the suspension business, not your local dealer. Find someone who is willing to give you 15-20 minutes to talk about you, your bike, your riding profile and your expectations from the upgrade.

I have yet to hear anyone who upgraded to either of the Ohlins products say they were unhappy and I expect you will be happy with either as well. As I said, for me, the non-ESA models were the right fit for my style and expectations.

Marty S.
2010 Ducati Multistrada 1200s
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 2007, 12:55 am
Noob

Love the EC's

I had a set of Ohlin EC's installed end of last year. Adjusing the dampening while riding allows you to dampen out the slab bumps and other surfaces without sacrificing hardening up for the twisties. In my opinion the $$ is well worth it given there is no rebound adjustment on the front shock w/o EC + you get a nice reservoir to admire.

Peter
'99 R1100S Black
'02 K1200RS Blue

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode