CQ HID install question on '03 GT - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 2007, 11:10 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

CQ HID install question on '03 GT

I picked up a CQ HID kit from Milkman (thanks!) and need some help as to where to mount what. I hooked everything up to make sure I knew what plugged in where and damn that things bright. My question revolves around which unit is the ignitor and which is the ballast? I want to use the plastic "shelf" behind the left fairing to mount one, but which one should go there and where has everyone mounted the other piece? I know the high voltage wires should be kept away from others. Thanks

David

'03 K1200GT

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 2007, 12:39 am
Veteran

David

I think if you found 50 people on this site who bought the CQ kit, they will all have found different places to mount the ballast and igniter.

You already know the big one! Keep the hi-voltage wiring away from the system wiring!!!

One more from me is, GROUND the ballast case!!! That thing puts out 27,000volts. It is for your personal safety only that you should ground the ballast case to any point on the frame.

As far as which is which. The one that has the wires coming out of one end and came with a mounting bracket is the ballast. Wires out both ends and no bracket is the igniter.

My ballast is bolted to the left lower windscreen cover brace screw that is under the plastic dash panel and the igniter is ty-raped under the top brace that goes from the steering head to the cowl.

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 2007, 2:44 pm

I installed my CQ last night. I used the plastic "shelf" that a lot of you have used for the ballast, and then used the doublestick tape and mounted the ignitor to what I believe is the cruise control box. Two questions: 1. In keeping the wiring away from the stock wiring, if I want to run power back to my fuse box (in lieu of hooking into the factory wiring), how do I keep those power wires away from other wiring? It appears, after taking off my tupperware, that there are only a couple of routes back to the battery and they all seem to be full of wiring. 2. Do you think that there is a problem with mounting the ignitor to the cruise control box? This is the black box right next to the shelf (in front of it) that is vertical... the ignitor is stuck to the inside of it (towards the center of the bike) but thankfully it doesn't appear that I am going to have any clearance issues with the forks.

Okay, 3rd question... how important do you feel it is to run separate wiring back to my key controlled fuse box? Is the headlight on-off that happens when you hit the starter button really that much of a problem to worry about, or can these things handle it? I was going to run "clean" power back to my fuse box until you all scared me about having the wires away from everything else. Thanks!

Bob Holthaus - St. Louis, MO - '03 K1200GT - Lite Buddies - MV Adjustable Risers - V1 - Mix-It2 - FIAMM's - CQ HID - Zumo 550 - PIAA 004XT - Custom LED front markers - Aeroflow Tall Sport Screen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 2007, 5:07 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobholthaus
I installed my CQ last night. I used the plastic "shelf" that a lot of you have used for the ballast, and then used the doublestick tape and mounted the ignitor to what I believe is the cruise control box. Two questions: 1. In keeping the wiring away from the stock wiring, if I want to run power back to my fuse box (in lieu of hooking into the factory wiring), how do I keep those power wires away from other wiring? It appears, after taking off my tupperware, that there are only a couple of routes back to the battery and they all seem to be full of wiring. 2. Do you think that there is a problem with mounting the ignitor to the cruise control box? This is the black box right next to the shelf (in front of it) that is vertical... the ignitor is stuck to the inside of it (towards the center of the bike) but thankfully it doesn't appear that I am going to have any clearance issues with the forks.

Okay, 3rd question... how important do you feel it is to run separate wiring back to my key controlled fuse box? Is the headlight on-off that happens when you hit the starter button really that much of a problem to worry about, or can these things handle it? I was going to run "clean" power back to my fuse box until you all scared me about having the wires away from everything else. Thanks!
Bob

1) the 12 volt feed wires pose no problem. It's the high voltage HID wiring you have to worry about keeping away from the stock wiring.
I have run wires from the front to back jacketed in 3/8" flexible plastic conduit(available at Pep Boys) around the left side near the injectors and between the radiator and the frame.

2) I don't know, but I wouldn't after the induced voltage from the hi-voltage wires drove my clock nuts!

3) You know how I feel on this. I don't like the "double-strike" of the HID. See #1, the power GOING TO the HID system can be run anyway you like, no induction problem.

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old May 1st, 2007, 4:28 pm
"DELIVERS"

This thread may help:
http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8207

'04 GT...Orient Blue...Staintune...Ohlins...Power Commander

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode