Poor Fuel Consumption - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 2007, 4:26 pm Thread Starter

Poor Fuel Consumption

Well, I'm back with another question.

Some of you may remember that I had a problem getting my 02 RS to run a few weeks ago. So I completely stripped apart every piece of the fuel delivery system, cleaned em, and got the bike running. That was a major accomplishment.

I've noticed over the last couple of weeks that I have a very strong gas odor when I start the bike, and occasionally when I pull up to a stop. I've also only been getting ~30miles to the gallon, compared to the usual 40mpg that I had before. I've done a complete inspection of the bike when its running, and there are no leaks that I can see.

If the bike is running rich, would that cause extra gas to be expelled through the exhaust?
Maybe a bad O2 sensor causing this?

I firmly believe that these symptoms are inter related.

I've searched through the forum, and haven't found anything that I think matches this.

If anyone knows of a particular thread that address's this, please point me in the right direction.

Thanks again!!!
chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 2007, 4:30 pm
"DELIVERS"

Could be your O2 sensor.

'04 GT...Orient Blue...Staintune...Ohlins...Power Commander
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 2007, 4:46 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasbutan
If the bike is running rich, would that cause extra gas to be expelled through the exhaust?
Gun the throttle and look at the exhaust pipe; does a visible cloud of black smoke shoot out? Also sniff the exhaust while the engine is idling; is there a strong raw gas smell?

If you suspect the O2 sensor, this might be of some help.

Black 2002 K1200RS - "The Beast" (over 100k miles)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 2007, 4:33 am
Addict

The smell of gasoline sounds like a gas leak. Check the quick disconnects ( gas lines to and from the tank ). The are known to break and leak.

Lache pas la patate

Robert Odendahl
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 2007, 12:32 am

Many things can cause excessive fuel consumption.
1) It could be a leak.
2) High fuel pressure, causes a rich mixture, starting problems, etc. Normally this will cause a lot of black smoke and a black soot to collect on the rear turn signal next to the exhaust.
3) EFI sensors that are incorrect. This includes any sensor that inputs to the ECM to control fuel. O2 sensors are included on that list but have less control over the mixture than many believe. Temperature sensor has LOTS of power over mixture, many times more than O2.

These are but a few ideas. On a car we could connect our handy, inexpensive scan tool and quickly check may of these. Don't have that easy option on your K.

Good luck.

Hans
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 2007, 6:12 am
Addict

Check a plug or two first after a warm up and ride of about 5-10 miles. If they are looking black and sooty it sounds like over rich. If the bike has been running very over rich for a while, the O2 sensor may have got blocked up.

Before changing anything else I'd try to find a dealer who will do a 1/2 hour Moditec diagnostic check. It could save you a lot of time and money. The TPS sensor adjustment may be wrong and that will get picked up in the test, as well as the O2 sensor, timing and temperature sensors.

But first make sure you've got no actual leaks and the gas tank filler cap is pushed right down.

I had another thought, does your bike reach it's normal running temperature within about 5 minutes, or is it slow getting there, do the fans ever switch on? I have a vague recollection that an engine temperature sensor is what moves the ECU from rich cold start to a leaner map. Yes there is a thermistor temperature sensor exclusive for the ECU and it's not the one that drives the temperature guage. Sorry I don't know where they put it, but a Moditec test will save you wasting a lot of time.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Last edited by voxmagna; Apr 25th, 2007 at 6:39 am.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 2007, 10:23 am Thread Starter

Think I'll call my dealer and see how much it will cost to run the diagnostic.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 2007, 1:44 pm
Addict

Shouldn't be more than 1/2 hour labor, but say you just want the Moditec diagnostics done and a report - steer them to rich running, TPS,O2 sensor, timing, engine temperature and normal cut-in check for the fans. At least afterwards you might learn if you are chasing a real problem. Ask if you can hang around the bike while the tech is running the diagnostics and you'll learn a bit. They won't need to take any plastic off as the diagnostics connector is under the seat, unless of course you want them to go the next step to adjust or fix. They can also check for ABS faults at the same time.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 2007, 1:45 pm
Enthusiast

gas tank

good move

WOOLF
99 R1100S BLACK
02K1200RS BLACK
Iron Butt Member
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 2007, 7:37 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxmagna
Shouldn't be more than 1/2 hour labor, but say you just want the Moditec diagnostics done and a report - steer them to rich running, TPS,O2 sensor, timing, engine temperature and normal cut-in check for the fans. At least afterwards you might learn if you are chasing a real problem. Ask if you can hang around the bike while the tech is running the diagnostics and you'll learn a bit. They won't need to take any plastic off as the diagnostics connector is under the seat, unless of course you want them to go the next step to adjust or fix. They can also check for ABS faults at the same time.

They quoted me between 30 min and an hour based on whats wrong. They also asked me to strip the tupperware....I presume to fix a problem if they find it. I'll RE-ITERATE that I only want the test run. Sometimes the shop manager doesn't quite listen to what I want done. I also set up the time for the end of day on Friday: 1) so I can get in the back and watch, 2) The guys might work a little faster gven the end of the week

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode