04 K1200 GT rough idle - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 2007, 2:24 pm Thread Starter

04 K1200 GT rough idle

I purchased an 04 K1200GT a few weeks ago with 6700 miles on it. This is my first BMW so I'm not quite sure what is normal for this bike. The previous owner did allow the bike to turn over on it's right side in his garage. He had a broken leg at the time and was unable to get it upright quickly. All this to say that the bike has a rough idle. The rpm will go up and down every few seconds at idle and on the first rev of the throttle the bike is likely to go dead or come close to it. If I hit the throttle a couple of short, quick times, then I can throttle normally without problems. Once I am in motion and at a higher RPM, then I am ok. Any suggestions? vacuum leak? plugs?

Thanks in advance,
Van
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 2007, 2:45 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by adontech
I purchased an 04 K1200GT a few weeks ago with 6700 miles on it. This is my first BMW so I'm not quite sure what is normal for this bike. The previous owner did allow the bike to turn over on it's right side in his garage. He had a broken leg at the time and was unable to get it upright quickly. All this to say that the bike has a rough idle. The rpm will go up and down every few seconds at idle and on the first rev of the throttle the bike is likely to go dead or come close to it. If I hit the throttle a couple of short, quick times, then I can throttle normally without problems. Once I am in motion and at a higher RPM, then I am ok. Any suggestions? vacuum leak? plugs?

Thanks in advance,
Van
Do a search on this site...
Lots of stuff already written on this.

What you describe is a fairly common condition which appeared on many '03-'04 RS and GTs.

My '04GT displayed the symptoms you describe to one degree or another..
A computer control module swapped to an updated version cured the condition fully and immediately.
Sounds like yours was never done.

Dmilan
BMW '04GT
KAW '06R650
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 2007, 3:20 pm
Addict

one more thing

also could be a vacuum hose. on the updated ecu, bmw supposedly will fix it free when taken to a dealer and the problem is diagnosed. if the dealer gives u any [email protected], go to bmw north america...........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 2007, 5:37 pm Thread Starter

I did search the site, but I guess I didn't have my search criteria down. I don't have a dealer in my state, so I'm going to check for a vacuum hose issue before making the trip to Louisiana in hopes of getting the chip replaced. Thanks!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 2007, 6:02 pm
Will ride for picts

You might try the "throttle position sensor reset" procedure before you take it in. Can't remember the exact procedure, but its easy and free. IIRC, you turn the ignition on, but don't start the bike, cycle the throttle across its full range three times, then shut off the ignition.

Sierra Cement: Good for skis, bad for knees.

www.rhhall.smugmug.com
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 2007, 6:54 am
Enthusiast

Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by adontech
I did search the site, but I guess I didn't have my search criteria down. I don't have a dealer in my state, so I'm going to check for a vacuum hose issue before making the trip to Louisiana in hopes of getting the chip replaced. Thanks!
Here

Look at this thread: http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showt...ght=replacement

Edit.. Uh... the link didn't work for me

Try this...
Open the - RS/GT Forum -
Search the Forum for "Updated ECU's?" without the quotes. It should take you to 2 threads on the topic.
Sorry I'm not better at linking.

Dmilan

Last edited by DMilan; Apr 25th, 2007 at 7:12 am.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 2007, 9:44 pm

Insist on getting the updated ECU. I had the same issue and the conversation with the dealer started off with "well, they all do that..." Yeah, right! If this update has not been done, it's certainly worth fighting for it. After a bit of prompting, my dealer finally ordered the part. I dropped my bike off in the morning, used their loaner bike to run a few erands, went out for lunch, and my bike was ready to ride home in the early afternoon. Problem solved, and a huge difference at idle and when cracking the throttle after cold start up.

Good Luck!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode