Help please! - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 2007, 8:09 pm Thread Starter

Help please!

Well, I didn't want to be the new guy with problems (I mean the bike) but it appears I am.
My 03 KRS doesn't seem to want to shift into 3rd! Oh sure, I like 1st and 2nd gear just as much as the next guy but I would like the option to use the upper 4 gears. (to say I am pissed off right now is an understatement)

I rode last Sunday for the first time, only about 60 miles. A few times I had a hard time shifting into 3rd but chalked it up to sloppy shifting and bad habits on my Ducati.

I rode for 10 miles earlier today no problem, and then just now I went for a quick spin to check out my piaa's at night. Well, she wasn't in the mood for third gear....at all!
What the [email protected]%#

Any thoughts would be appreciated

Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 2007, 9:00 pm
Addict

Put your bike on its center stand (key off) and work the shift lever with your left hand into each gear. Don't worry about the clutch. When the shift lever feels as if it hasn't gone clearly into the appropriate gear, hold it there and move the tire back and forth with your right hand.

Do you feel it catch?

Black 2002 K1200RS - "The Beast" (over 100k miles)
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 2007, 9:37 pm Thread Starter

Yeah, I can feel it catch once the tire rotates a bit.
Whats your diagnosis?

One other thing. Earlier today twice while coming to a stop the bike just died. It started right back up but it was strange. I thought maybe it was just cold but I really don't think so.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 2007, 11:27 pm

Bike Dies At Stop Sign

Yes, that's has happened to me on my 03 K1200rs. Never found the cure for the problem, no particular pattern, but weird for sure. Might happen once a monthy. Only thing I recall the BMW mechanic telling me to check is the battery ground connection, first at the battery post, but more importantly follow the cord down to where it connects to the engine block....not the easiest bolt to get at but it can be reached with an extension. Mine is on the left side, almost directly below the battery.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old May 1st, 2007, 12:21 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chokeu
Yeah, I can feel it catch once the tire rotates a bit.
Whats your diagnosis?
Did you try cycling through all the gears from 1 to 6 and back to 1?

Black 2002 K1200RS - "The Beast" (over 100k miles)
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old May 1st, 2007, 3:04 am
Addict

What's the shift display showing as you try moving into gears you say you aren't getting? I found the KRS needs more vertical movement at the toe, compared to other bikes I've ridden.

Rather then trying to turn your toe up - which I find OK on most jap bikes, try pulling your foot up off the peg until the shifter hits the stop, if this gets the gears, then you may need to adjust the shifter arm downwards. If it doesn't and now you're sure the shift lever is being pulled right up there may be something more sinister to look into.

You should also check for any clutch drag, but with care: bike on centre stand on level ground, front wheel locked with disc lock if you're anal, rear wheel clear of the ground, motor running in first or second at no more than idle 1000rpm, clutch right in, slowly apply rear brake. - Watch for drop in rpm or engine stall as rear wheel slows=clutch drag=problem to fix.

Check the transmission oil level if you're not sure this has been done by others.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Last edited by voxmagna; May 1st, 2007 at 3:13 am.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old May 1st, 2007, 11:30 am Thread Starter

Thanks for the input folks, I appreciate it. I will check the above mentioned items today when I get home.

Joe
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old May 1st, 2007, 3:41 pm Thread Starter

Ok, I have checked/done all the above suggestions and everything seems fine.
Now the funny part, I just took it for short blast (12 miles) and basically had no problems!
I did have a problem going from neutral to 1st once, but that was it.

The only thing I did different was dial the clutch lever out the #3 position, as I had it in #2 to best fit my grip. Do you think it could have been as simple as that?

Either way I'm putting it the shop to get checked out. I won't feel comfortable going for a long ride until I do.

Thanks,

Joe
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old May 1st, 2007, 3:56 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chokeu
I did have a problem going from neutral to 1st once, but that was it.
It's a dog-type transmission. If the dogs don't line up with the slots in the gears when you're stationary in neutral, hold pressure against the shift lever toward 1st gear and let the clutch out gradually until it drops into 1st.

Rusty
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 2007, 1:24 pm
Looking for better limits...

Thinking about this again (dangerous, yes), there's one other "gotcha" that sometimes keeps upshifting from taking place. That's if you don't let the gear lever "clear" all the way...that is, it doesn't come all the way back down to rest point. If the boot keeps it ever so slightly up, your next upshift won't do anything. Or the shift lever is a bit sticky and won't return to rest on it's own.

Just another "maybe"...

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser SŲze

Last edited by Razel; May 4th, 2007 at 7:13 pm. Reason: Misspelled "boot"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode