Help with Ohlin rear shock (46HRCLS, BM702) install - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old May 1st, 2007, 1:38 pm Thread Starter
ten

Help with Ohlin rear shock (46HRCLS, BM702) install

Last week I purchased front and rear Ohlin shocks for my '04 K12RS and had a local dealer install them while doing other work. The dealer called and said the rear wont fit due to the reservoir fitting interferes with the side panel. The dealer spoke with Ohlin who admitted that this is a known problem but they have no immediate solution. Has anyone else encountered this issue? If so, how was it resolved?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old May 1st, 2007, 2:58 pm
"DELIVERS"

Your dealer is pulling your leg. Search the archives. You will find pictures showing how it can be mounted.

'04 GT...Orient Blue...Staintune...Ohlins...Power Commander
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old May 1st, 2007, 3:17 pm
Enthusiast

Smile shocks

trim the right rear panal at the bottom shock will fit and ony you will see the triming

WOOLF
99 R1100S BLACK
02K1200RS BLACK
Iron Butt Member
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old May 1st, 2007, 3:26 pm Thread Starter
ten

problem being fixed by Ohlins

Pictures were sent from the dealer to Ohlins showing the problem. The current rear Ohlins shock has an angled knuckle connector for the reservoir into the shock which protrudes out too far for the side panel to fit properly. Ohlins is going to replace it with a straight connector to correct the problem. Why didn't they do that in the first place?
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old May 1st, 2007, 5:46 pm
Veteran

Look here.
Rear Ohlins

02 K12RS (Molested)
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 2007, 9:42 am
Enthusiast

Maybe I'm missing something, but I had no problems, and didn't need any sort of extra bracket to install the same shock on my 02 KRS. Pics attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OhlinsRear.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	288.1 KB
ID:	4977   Click image for larger version

Name:	OhlinsRear-2.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	272.9 KB
ID:	4978  
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old May 11th, 2007, 6:27 am

Damnit! I'm have the EXACT same problem! I ordered my shocks from Kyle Racing with a custom spring. My dealer - Ride West BMW in Seattle - said it was "deformed" and they wouldn't install it but are still charging me for the 2 hours of labor to take everything off and put it back together. Jerks.

Now I have a huge trip coming up the end of the month and have one new shock in the front and a rear I can't get installed. I'm waiting to talk to Dan Kyle later this morning to see what can be done, but it's not looking good ...

BTW - Ride West in Seattle, totally not recommended. First and last visit. but that's another post ...

Marty S.
2010 Ducati Multistrada 1200s
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old May 11th, 2007, 9:53 am
Will ride for picts

Just got my Ohlins mounted yesterday, May 11 at Sierra BMW in Sparks, NV. They did a nice job. The instruction manual that came with the shocks says to strap the reservoir to the passenger footpeg / lower case mount bracket on the right side of the bike. I'll take a picture later today and post.

Here's a link to the mounting instructions.

http://www.ohlins.com/Portals/0/prod...s/MC/BM546.pdf

Look at page 2 for mounting diagram.

Edit: The preload adjuster on the left side of the bike blocks the lower accessory power port (if you have it, it is an aftermarket add-on). The upper port (which is the stock port), is still accessible.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ohlins reservoir mount.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	10.1 KB
ID:	5068  

Sierra Cement: Good for skis, bad for knees.

www.rhhall.smugmug.com
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old May 11th, 2007, 12:21 pm

I just got back from the dealer and picked up my bike. the rear shock was not mounted. It appears the problem is not with the resovoir but with the fitting it attaches to the shock with. The shock came with a flaired fitting that causes the hose to stick out so far the fairing panel cannot be mounted. It needs a flat or striage fitting so the hose runs along the profile of the shock. I'll be calling Kyle racing later to try and figure this out. I'll post updates as I get them.

Marty S.
2010 Ducati Multistrada 1200s
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old May 20th, 2007, 7:37 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by budcarrigan
Maybe I'm missing something, but I had no problems, and didn't need any sort of extra bracket to install the same shock on my 02 KRS. Pics attached.
You don't have to make a bracket to move the brake reservoir in, but the Ohlin reservoir will stick out if you don't.

See Here

02 K12RS (Molested)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode