South African K1200GT - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 2005, 12:40 pm Thread Starter

South African K1200GT

Good day from sunny Cape Town, South Africa. I've just traded-in my 2005 R1200ST for a K1200GT.

What a bike, it's uncramped like the ST and far smoother. I dabled for a long while before making the plunge especially as there's a new GT on the horizon.

The dealer in Cape Town had to shoot my ST back to me as I began to have gear change problems with the GT on Friday afternoon. Even in Africa there's service!!! Their service manager went into the dealership to collect the ST and personally rode it to my home on Saturday morning so that I would'nt be without a ride, as Sundays we do a breakfast run of 250Km's.

In South Africa workshops are closed on a Saturday, but showrooms are open until 13h00.

Getting back to the gear change problem, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, were all OK, but, 4th thru 6th could only be engaged by backing off on the throttle reducing speed & then fumbling a bit for the next gear finally, it finally took etc, etc. They seem to believe that draining the gearbox & re-filling it with new engine oil, running it on the bench for half an hour & then re-draining it again & then replacing with fresh gearbox oil will do the trick. It better work otherwise there's a new gearbox coming my way that's for sure.

Any comments please would be appreciated.

Cheers from sunny Cape Town, South Africa.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 2005, 1:12 pm

Welcome!

Glad you're enjoying the new ride. Since the bike is new, you're covered under warranty. Not sure if repeated oil changes will cure your shift problems, I'd request a new gear box for piece of mind. Hate to have it crap out in the middle of anywhere.

Tell us more about your GT - color, MY (model year), options, price?

'04 K1200RS- sold
'06 R1150GS Adventure ( Final Edition ) ( Still in Crate) 4-sale
'04 Honda RC51 ( still in the crate!) 4 sale
'08 BMW HP2 Sport #43 (awsome)
'09 BMW HP2 Sport w/ABS #77 ( still in crate)
'10 Harley Davidson CVO Street Glide
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 2005, 2:40 pm Thread Starter

Hi From South Africa

Hi Tim:

I will post a few photo's shortly. The GT is a 2004 with 6250 miles on the clock. Colour is Oriental Blue, heated seat, speed o cruise, heated grips/ABS, electric screen (stock) with new Bridgestone BT012 SS tires (fitted Friday). I've ordered a BMW top box from the dealer as well. My ST had one with the optional back-rest which was a joy for the wife.

It might sound strange to you that I traded-in the new ST on a second hand GT, but I had paid cash for the ST & needed some cash out of the deal & took the plunge on the GT (put down big deposit & financed the balance). I hear you say Crazy!!!. By the sounds of all the praise, my wife & I will really enjoy it. I paid approx $12000 for it which a saving on a new one approx $21000 (bikes are expensive here). So you can see it was a no brainer!!! Buying new would have been crazy, especially if the new GT is soon to be launched. In fact the dealer suggested the 2004 over a new unit. Now BMW need to come to the party on the gearbox. Some how I don't think it's too serious. The factory warranty expires 01/01/2006 so you can bet your life I am going over it from top to bottom.

Cape Town has fantastic rides & within a hours ride we are out of the city in in the country with beautiful senery & great places to visit. There's a huge market here & bike sales have increased 52% over last year alone. For me, I've hit what they call a mid-life crisis, after hanging up the gloves & helmet early in the 80's. Having owned Honda 350 Four, Suzuki GT380, Honda 600 F4, BMW R1100S, R1200ST & now the GT, I don't think I will get it out of my system easily, especially since my wife now loves it.

I own the only Beemer amongst our crowd of friends. We mostly ride together on breakfast runs on Sundays & cover between 125-200 miles depending on the destination.

The availability of bikes in South Africa is much the same as the US with proud bikers spending fortunes on bikes, including accessories.

Any way i've got carried away with waffling on, so I am going to bid you good day for now.

Ride safely & I thanks for the quick response to my posting.

Cheers
Craig
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 2005, 5:36 am

Question Go GIVI

I might suggest cancelling the Top-box order and rather getting yourself a Givi E46 topcase...

The BMW topcase for the GT is a little dissapointing... only holds One helmet and doesn't do the styling of the bike any justice...

However, the GIVI E46 not only looks the part, it comes with a decent mounting plate and can hold 2 Full face helmets... plus has a nice backrest for the wife optional...

This link 'should' take you to some photos of mine : http://www.k-bikes.com/gallery/files...DSCF0008-2.JPG

Gimme a shout if you wanna meet up sometime to check it out

BTW - Nice to have a fellow Cape Townian around
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 2005, 7:55 am

Sounds to me like they are servicing the bikes with the wrong gear oil/lub during the service/pre deliver process...

interesting!!
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 2005, 10:50 am
Veteran

Dumb laws

The only thing I can reply to is the problems with hours shops/stores keep.
I moved to CO here in the US from CA and they have antiquated laws tied to religion, which make it impossible to buy a car on Sun. You can look at them, but can't buy. There are some others too, but that is enough raveing.

Have fun with your purchase
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 2005, 11:44 am Thread Starter

Hi Matt

Thanks for the info. Givi looks the part & is similiar to the Givi I had on my 2002 R1100S. What's up with the number plate? Donford BMW did the gearbox flush & new oil today but incredibly had no time to road test. Something about a whole lot of new bikes in crates arriving. Not my problem, bad excuse under the circumstances.

Hope to see you on the road sometime.

Safe riding
Craig
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 2005, 12:00 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanguard
I might suggest cancelling the Top-box order and rather getting yourself a Givi E46 topcase...

The BMW topcase for the GT is a little dissapointing... only holds One helmet and doesn't do the styling of the bike any justice...

However, the GIVI E46 not only looks the part, it comes with a decent mounting plate and can hold 2 Full face helmets... plus has a nice backrest for the wife optional...

This link 'should' take you to some photos of mine : http://www.k-bikes.com/gallery/files...DSCF0008-2.JPG

Gimme a shout if you wanna meet up sometime to check it out

BTW - Nice to have a fellow Cape Townian around
Hi again Matt:

One question on the Givi. The Givi I had on the R1100S had a frame that was very flimsy. It eventually snapped on both sides through stress caused by my wife moving against it under sudden excelleration. I cannot seem to identify mounting points on your RS from the photo.

Regards
Craig
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 2005, 12:07 pm
Noob

Shift Problem

craigj
This may sound "dumb" as I certainly felt that way after experiencing the same problem you describe with my 04GT. I even had it to the dealer, who could find no problem with it.
I've been riding 35+ years so I should know a little? I tried very carefully to figure out what caused this shift problem. Usually higher gears and only on the upshift. Oh well, oh well, I found I was not getting the top of my boot free of the shift lever after every shift. If you don't release the shift lever completely the damn thing will not upshift to the next higher gear without a fight. Shifts perfectly now and stupid foot is out of the way.
gerryb158
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 2005, 12:23 pm Thread Starter

Hi Gerry:

The gear selector would not shift up from 3rd > 6th. However, I changed gears seamlessly up/down prior to the problem. The service manager at the dealer took it for I ride on Saturday & also confirmed that he had struggled. No problems down shifting.

I am just going to have to wait on their report.

Regards
Craig

Thanks for your valued input.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode