Deposit down on '03 K1200GT - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old May 4th, 2007, 6:33 am Thread Starter

Deposit down on '03 K1200GT

Hi all, new to the forum and BMW bikes. I put a deposit down on an '03 GT yesterday. 1 previous owner, under 7k miles, dark blue.

I am trading in my SV1000 for this as I now average over 500 miles a week with my commute and feel that this bike would be my best choice for a journey that is mixed with country lanes, A' roads and Motorways come rain or shine.

I guess I am looking for advice on

a) what should I be wary of?

b) what mods should I be looking at?
(not including seat as I don't think this will be a problem following the SV)

c) what good things can I look forward to?

Any input greatly received.

Thanks

-DM-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old May 4th, 2007, 7:24 am
Enthusiast

Congratulations on the new bike! I'm sure you will find out that you bought the fastest color on the GT soon enough. What should you be wary of? Keep an eye on your seals to make sure you don't have any problems. Some owners have had them go out as soon as 10,000 miles. Check to see if the bike had the ECU upgraded. Some models had cold starting problems related to the ECU and had to have them replaced. Others, like me have experienced no problems.

Upgrades can include things like new shocks when the time comes (Ohlins or Wilbers are great), bar risers if you feel the riding position is too forward, and an aftermarket exhaust if that kinda thing floats your boat. The GT is great just as it is, so ride it for a while and get a feel for what you may like to change or add. I bought my '03 last year with only 3900 miles on it and I haven't enjoyed riding this much in a long time.

'03 K1200GT

post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old May 4th, 2007, 10:01 am Thread Starter

Thanks David,

I thought I would add a copy of the pics the dealer (non-BM) had. I will, of course, add better pics once I get hold of her.

Incidently, how are the mirrors or is that one of the first things to change?

-DM-
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	K1200GT_1.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	4981   Click image for larger version

Name:	K1200GT_2.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	4982   Click image for larger version

Name:	K1200GT_3.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	4983  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old May 4th, 2007, 1:43 pm
Enthusiast

Nice looking. I see it has the RS windscreen instead of the stock GT screen. If you feel the wind is too direct then check into getting the GT screen which has a turned up lip at the top to direct air more vertically over you. As far as the mirrors, I hated them at first because I thought the field of view was crap. I checked into getting the RS mirrors which are rectangular, but have gotten used to the round ones. By the way, check out Pirate's Lair for some good accessories. The first thing I bought from him was the caps to plug the swingarm holes. Cleaned that situation up well.

Pirates Lair

'03 K1200GT

post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old May 4th, 2007, 2:16 pm
Veteran

DM
If you install the combination of stock GT windscreen and RS(oval) mirrors. The mirrors will just hit a lowered GT windscreen at full-lock. I use that combination on my KRS in winter.

ps. The RS screen is nice in the summer.

Do you have a heated seat on that bike? (This is subjective but,) If not, I believe you might be looking for a replacement seat before long.

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old May 4th, 2007, 5:15 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the heads-up...... With regards the screen blast, lets just say i'm not one of the most gifted of people in the height department..... but I'll wait to see how the RS screen fairs, or rather how I get on with it.

Thanks also for the comments on the mirrors, once again, going to wait to see how I find them. Having to wait a couple of weeks is driving me nuts, I'm like a dog with 2 dicks and nothing to stick it to.

I'm gonna take a look at the caps and other mods that other site members have done, guess it will pass the time if only just a little.

-DM-
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old May 4th, 2007, 5:34 pm

I bought the 04 version of that bike (same color) just a few weeks ago with only 6700 miles. I think I got a good deal on mine and would love to know what you paid. PM me if you are willing to share.

My GT does need the ECU upgrade as it coughs when you try to give it too much gas from a standstill unless you give the throttle a couple of quick flicks. Other than that, I'm really happy with mine. I'm just getting used to the riding position as I have ridden nothing but cruisers my entire life. I don't have a dealer in the state so I purchased a Clymer manual to help me along with the service. Look at A&S cycles and Beemer Boneyard for a good selection of online parts/accessories.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old May 4th, 2007, 7:25 pm
Looking for better limits...

As mentioned, the combination of the oval mirrors AND the comfort screen could cause the mirror stalk(s) to bump the screen, lightly.

Interesting that you have the "K1200GT" decals under the engine openings and on the rear side panels. I've not see that.

The GT seat, if it's the heated version, should be wonderful

I'd look at getting motolites or PIAA fog lights to supplement the headlamp. Also, check into adjusting the headlamp up, as most of them seem to be aimed low. The supplemental lights provide a couple of things, and probably true for all bikes...visibility and backup when the single bulb in the headlamp assembly goes out.

Speaking of headlamp, there have been occasions where the headlamp fails only to find that the wiring connection at the bulb is the issue. If the highbeam indicator comes on without the highbeam being switched on, it means the ground wire has failed in the assembly

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser SŲze
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old May 4th, 2007, 8:23 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razel
Interesting that you have the "K1200GT" decals under the engine openings and on the rear side panels. I've not see that.
Probably a Euro thing....

Black 2002 K1200RS - "The Beast" (over 100k miles)
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old May 5th, 2007, 7:04 am
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnadero
Probably a Euro thing....
Looks aftermarket as the lettering is not similar to styling for the K1200RS sticker.

03K12RS
:wtf Joel Callan :wtf
Milwaukee, WI 53222

Homepage

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode