Why do I want to buy an '03 GT? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old May 7th, 2007, 4:56 pm Thread Starter

Why do I want to buy an '03 GT?

I've been riding an R1150R oilhead Boxer for four years now, and it's great for what it does, but the urge for something a bit more touring oriented has bit me again (as it often does). I'd been thinking that maybe my tired old bones (I'm 55 but fit) might want something in a sit-up-and-go-tour-bike like a K1200LT. But then the other day, a guy in my BMW club let me ride his '03 GT for about 20 miles, and all I can say is, WOW!

I liked EVERYTHING about that bike - the smooth rush of big power especially. I had fun playing with the electric windscreen - he currently has a real short Z Tecknik screen on there. I didn't test the heated seats, as it was 85 degrees out, nor did I get to test the cruise control. Only thing remotely negative about the whole experience was that I felt my feet and ankles getting warm as I tooled around in city traffic. Once out on the interstate, as I watched the temp gauge move back down, the heat went away from my feet. Did I mention I LOVED that big rush of power as I merged onto the interstate?

So, tell me why I would want to sell my perfectly adequate, reliable, lightweight Roadster that gets 42 mpg locally (and 46+ on the highway) for this beautiful GT?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old May 7th, 2007, 5:11 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapidRobert
But then the other day, a guy in my BMW club let me ride his '03 GT for about 20 miles, and all I can say is, WOW!
Ride it for a longer distance than twenty miles. MUCH longer, if you can. That way you can see if the seating position is something that you can live with, or would need to be altered via aftermarket goodies.

Black 2002 K1200RS - "The Beast" (over 100k miles)
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old May 7th, 2007, 6:15 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnadero
Ride it for a longer distance than twenty miles. MUCH longer, if you can. That way you can see if the seating position is something that you can live with, or would need to be altered via aftermarket goodies.
What he said and..............
See if the bike pulls to the right like so many K1200's do.

2003 K1200 GT
73 RD 350
85 RZ 350
79 Daytona
82 V45 Sabre
03 Tuono Racing
82 YZ 250
02 Polaris 500
02 VTX 1800C
06 Yamaha YZF-R1
06 Yamaha YZF-R1 LE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old May 7th, 2007, 6:16 pm
Enthusiast

I agree, I have had my '03 Orient Blue GT (the faster color) for over a year now. Mid-way through the first season I had to put bar-backs on it as my shoulders, elbows and wrists couldn't take it any longer. Of course I had come from riding a bike a maximum of 2 or 3k miles per year and by mid-season I had already put 6k on it, so I was riding a lot more than my usual. The smooth power of this machine had me addicted from the first moment. By the end of the first season I had 13k on the odometer!
On Sunday I am going for a ride that I have planned for the last year and dreamed of since I started riding motorcycles more than 20 years ago. I am going from my home state of New Hampshire all the way to Florida via the BRP! Just turned 15k and am wondering if I should have the 18k service done before I go or have it done in Florida!
The list of goodies is getting longer every month....
Bar-backs
Carbon Fiber Tank Protector
Cruise Control
Heated Grips/Seat
PIAA 1100X
Peg Lowering Kit
Stealth Passenger Backrest
Bag Liners
Garmin Zumo GPS

Still want to add - a taller windscreen and something to protect the paint on the side of the tank and the panniers.

.....Mike
'10 K1300GT
Royal Blue Metallic
Garmin Zumo 660
Nolan N-103 w/ BT Kit
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old May 7th, 2007, 7:01 pm

Cool Gt

Yes, you do.
I'm 55 also.
52,000 miles on mine simce January 2005 when I got mine.
The ergos are adjustable, screens can be changed.
You won't be sorry, IMO.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old May 7th, 2007, 9:47 pm
Noob

45 more horsepower! Handling and power! You should have one bought before the sun comes up. Two weeks ago, rode with an 04 KRS, and it and my KGT both avg. 42 mpg @ 4200 rpm. Roughly 78 mph on 974 miles. Buy one! It is a NO LOSE deal.
Trigger

trigger

HI-HO SILVER, AWAY
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old May 7th, 2007, 11:13 pm
Rookie

Quote:
So, tell me why I would want to sell my perfectly adequate, reliable, lightweight Roadster that gets 42 mpg locally (and 46+ on the highway) for this beautiful GT?
Because the POWER of the dark side is impossible to resist.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old May 7th, 2007, 11:49 pm
Rookie

-Because it's extremely comfortable
-Because it handles two-up no problem
-Because it's a cruise missile

And best of all:

It's fun passing sport biker squids on their 600RR's and 1000 Gixxers in the twisties. It's a tourer that can get down to work if necessary.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old May 8th, 2007, 11:29 am

Hey RR-

You won't be disappointed... I don't have a heated seat, & have never needed it. I do have the Gerbing heated jacket liner & gloves though
The stock "tall" windshield gives you full wind protection, & there are others as well.
It's not the best city bike ever, but it's unbeatable on longer trips, & sheer H#LL through the twisties!!!

Keep us posted-

Scott

'06 Ducati Paul Smart LE
'05 Ducati Monster 620 Dark
'99 BMW K1200RS Mandarin/Gray
'73 BMW R75/5 Black/LWB/Toaster
'63 Vespa 160GS
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old May 8th, 2007, 11:50 am

re-Why do I want to buy an '03 GT?

The bike performs wonderfully as many have said. Two years ago I purchased a 2003 KRS with just 250 miles on it. I couldn'd get used to the bike even after I replaced the windshield with the GT's one, barsback, lowering pegs, and Sargent seat.
I sold the bike a year later with 3000 miles to buy a similarly new 2004 R1150RT.

I loved the look of the RT but the ergos were even worst than the KRS, very uncomfortable for me, so again new set of barsback, lowering pegs, taller windshield, Rick Myer seat, Sargent seat, and so on. The bike was a beauty but beside the ergos problems I was missing the power I got used with from the KRS.

To make the story short, I sold the RT six month later and I bought a 2003 GT. Of course, I have to re-buy all gadgets I previously sold with the KRS. I also installed an Touring Aeroflow windshield which offers great wind protection, although the the bike doesn't look as sporty.

I guess this is way to let you know how much I missed the power and the smoothness of the RS/GT. I decided I will get used of its riding position and learn how to live with it.
For many years I have been riding cruisers (of which I still have one ) and I was comparing the KRS/GT and RT to my cruiser, I guess. I'll still keep the cruiser for longer two-up trips.

On the negative side, I find the GT to be rather fragile in comparison to other bikes I previously owned. A month ago while replacing the head light bulb ( a real pain to do )
a small plastic hook that holds the spring bulb's retainer broke. I managed to re-route the retainer and with a small hand saw I was able to create another hook. I would have need to replace the entire assembly for for $300 if I couldn't get around it. Similar experience when I installed the Aeroflow windshield. A small plastic clip of the windshiled harm cover broke. I had to replace the cover.

Finally, two weeks ago I hit a pothole at about 30-35 MPH. Both wheel rims got damaged and needed to be replaced along with the tires ( over $2,100) . While I was waiting for the tow truck two other biker hit the same pothole with heavier bikes ( one was a Harley cruiser ) . No damage on their bikes.

In conclusion, I think the RS/GT is a great performing sport touring bikes, but certainly no one of the strongest bikes in the market, at similar cost. I very much enjoy riding my GT, however.

Good luck.

Pier

'87 K100LT
'00 Valkyrie I/S
'05 K1200LT

'03 KRS - Sold in 2006
'04 R1150RT - Sold in 2006
'03 K1200GT - Sold in 2009

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode