BMW Extended Warranty - worth it? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old May 9th, 2007, 12:03 am Thread Starter
JIS

BMW Extended Warranty - worth it?

I bought my 03 GT a few weeks ago and it has BMW "extended warranty" until mid July 2007; so a couple of months to go. I called them up to transfer the warranty into my name and enquired about the price to extend; I was told £695 or approx $1400 for a year's cover.

In some respects this is a huge premium; on the other hand if anything were to go wrong, labour costs alone could easily amount to a few hundred £; and that's before parts.

Do any of you guys use BMW's Extended Warranty; and if so, what's your experience ?

Thanks

John I. Stephen - Tunbridge Wells, Kent, UK
K1300 GT (quite superb ! )
Triumph Tiger 1050 (2008)
K1200 GT (2003)
R1150R (2002)
Suzuki GS 750 (late 1970s)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old May 9th, 2007, 7:29 am
Enthusiast

When I bought my GT last year I chose not to try and extend the warranty. Of course, it only had 3900 miles on it so I felt my chances of not needing it were pretty good. In general I don't like extended warranties because you almost never get your money's worth. But, if you have something like a final drive seal go out then you will make out. Bottom line is that you have to decide if it's worth it to you.

'03 K1200GT

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old May 9th, 2007, 9:52 am
Veteran

JIS

Even though you live in the UK and have different contracts, something doesn't sound right! In the US., there is a small fee to transfer the extended warranty. If you only purchased your '03GT "a couple of weeks ago", I would call then back and make sure we are talking about "transferring" an existing contract, not buying a new one.

In my contract(Western Service) there is a $25.00 fee to transfer the service contract to the new motorcycle owner(this is a nice selling feature). This request must be submitted within 25 days after purchase. And you must have proof that the motorcycle was properly serviced.

Also since your existing extended warranty expires in 2 months, my comments might be a moot point.

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST

Last edited by brucecha; May 9th, 2007 at 10:00 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old May 9th, 2007, 11:06 am

Extended Warranty

I purchased an extended warranty in January when I purchased the new GT. It seems a reasonable hedge against some potentially very expensive fixes once the factory support expires. If you are a high mileage rider, I would recommend this option. I did not buy it on my last LT and at 78K miles the rear end departed this world with a lot of peripheral damage. I would have been way ahead.
As to the transfer cost, Bruce C. is right on the money. Check out what that huge fee is really for before taking action. Enjoy your ride.
EJ
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old May 9th, 2007, 11:49 am
Looking for better limits...

Mine was $2100 for extending the warranty(also Western Service) 4 years/unlimited mileage (2003 GT) for a total of 7 years.

I've about broken even with the rear engine seal, pinion seal, and fuel pump all being replaced. Now, it' would have been interesting with the rear engine seal, as the clutch slave cylinder was defective near the end of the BMW warranty, and I'm fairly certain that the rear engine seal went because it was contaminated by brake fluid from the defective slave cylinder.

90k now, and the input seal for the transmission is becoming suspect...if so, the initial extra is paying off (but I don't now what I'd have now if I'd put it in a high-yield account (1Ĺ%?) ).
As mentioned, though, if you're doing high mileage, it's a good deal.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser SŲze
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old May 9th, 2007, 10:53 pm
Rookie

I bought my '02 RS with 23.3k miles last Sept./Oct. from a dealership that offered a warranty.

I laid down $1300 for an extended warranty.

1. On the way home, the bike overheated less than 15 miles from the dealership. Both fans replaced. No idea how much that cost, but it couldn't have been cheap.

2. After I got the bike back it lasted 300 miles. I hopped on it to ride to a picnic with my girl, and it made it about 2 miles from my house. All warning lights came on and the bike died. It would crank, but no start. Turns out the banjo bolt on the rear shock wore through the main wire harness, causing a huge direct short. Totalled the whole harness. $2200 repair, covered by warranty.

3. Went for a ride to Bodega Bay a month or so ago (maybe 2500 miles after the last failure). Had lunch, came out to the bike, wouldn't start. Turns out the battery had failed. NOT covered by warranty.

Last weekend I traded it in on a K1200GT with 1230 miles on it! Got tired of the troubles with the old bike, even though the warranty was still good for another 1.5 years.

Bottom line is the warranty paid for itself twice over with my bike in the short time I owned it. I also think that I had a particularly bad run of luck with my bike.

BMW bikes by and large are great bikes, and should not have major problems. In my case, it was worth it, but depending on mileage it may not be for you.

Good luck with your decision. I say keep the money in the bank and ride the heck out of your bike until your current warranty expires. Then keep piling on the miles after as well.

2010 Street Glide
2007 DRZ400S
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old May 10th, 2007, 12:17 am Thread Starter
JIS

Thanks chaps but, just to be clear. The transfer cost to me is £$ZERO. I am talking about what to do when my current (extended) warranty expire in July.

I was told by my BMW dealer that whilst the "flying brick" is an excellent bike, to be careful with the clucth; he said that this costs alot to replace because they have to drop the engine (almost) to get at it; a full day's labour charges for starters...

So, whilst I would need to read the details of the warranty (which includes full European wide breakdown cover) I wonder if a knackered clutch would be covered, or is that simply "normal wear and tear". Just pondering ....

K1200 GT (2003)
R1150R (2002)
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old May 10th, 2007, 11:28 pm
Rookie

If you haven't had any indication that you're going to have a problem yet (like oil on the bottom of your transmission or something) then keep the money in the bank...

Or better yet, get an exhaust and a chip if you don't already have them!

2010 Street Glide
2007 DRZ400S
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old May 11th, 2007, 4:11 am Thread Starter
JIS

Well that's the point isn't it; one never knows what's going to go wrong. However if the general consensus is that these are very reliable bikes which should require anything other than regular maintenance for (say) 50k miles; then I agree, it would be an expensive option.

K1200 GT (2003)
R1150R (2002)
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old May 11th, 2007, 7:45 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIS
Well that's the point isn't it; one never knows what's going to go wrong. However if the general consensus is that these are very reliable bikes which should require anything other than regular maintenance for (say) 50k miles; then I agree, it would be an expensive option.

John

To be honest, I never heard of anyone extending their already existing extended warranty. I believe you would get to a point of diminishing return on the cost verses coverage.

With the exception of a catastrophic engine failure, your insurance cost of $1,400usd. would cover most anything that would go wrong.

Also , I think the "limits of liability" and parts coverage in the new policy would be greatly reduced.

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode