Clean Air flow and riding position - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old May 9th, 2007, 1:23 am Thread Starter
JIS

Clean Air flow and riding position

Hello All:
There are many posts about replacement screens (Aeroflow and the like), add-ons (e.g. Laminar Lip) and then the desire to raise the standard bar height using things such as Suburban Type II Barbacks . However, I would like to see pictures of these set-ups.

I certainly need to do something as after 1 hour I am getting pains in my hip and aches in my wrists. If thatís not bad enough, the wind noise is awful and whilst my Arai helmet wonít help (with its cool air vents), I know things can be a lot better.

So, pictures of your set-ups please so that I can then place orders with some confidence.

Thanks guys; this is a great forum!

John

John I. Stephen - Tunbridge Wells, Kent, UK
K1300 GT (quite superb ! )
Triumph Tiger 1050 (2008)
K1200 GT (2003)
R1150R (2002)
Suzuki GS 750 (late 1970s)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old May 9th, 2007, 4:51 am
Addict

The permutations are many because individual rider sizes are different. You have to decide the order of doing things then the last is probably wind noise which you will have to tolerate. I don't think there's one universal solution, just tweaks around the edges.

Get the ergos right for you first with barbacks/peg lowering/seat height adjustment/comfort - whatever works. This may be short term though as many go back to the forward & lower riding position. Then work on the airflow. Lowest screen smooth air, is nice but lousy in the rain. I've got a comfort screen on an RS with a lip I put on in the Winter. My conclusion is a sport bike is designed for a sport riding position and good looks. Beemers have long tanks to the bars and everything seems to get in the way of getting an 'armchair' straight up riding position if that's what you're after. Remember also these are 150 mph plus bikes and the bike should still feel very stable in double digits.

For summer riding I have the screen set to low with earplugs so the helmet ventilation works. Nobody has come up with a fan ventilated helmet yet that works behind wide barn door crusier type screens. Most need airflow around the sides and over the top. As you move away from smooth air with screen tweaks, this introduces more turbulence and helmet wind noise. Clearing the visor of rain can also be a problem if you remove frontal airflow completely.

On a dry day, try taking off your screen and ride with/without plugs to see what I mean.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old May 9th, 2007, 9:10 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIS
If thatís not bad enough, the wind noise is awful and whilst my Arai helmet wonít help (with its cool air vents), I know things can be a lot better.
Earplugs. If you're going to be zipping along at freeway speeds for anything longer than a timesaving dash to the second or third suburb over, then earplugs are a must.

Black 2002 K1200RS - "The Beast" (over 100k miles)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old May 9th, 2007, 9:20 am

Comfort

John you might also look into a Sargent seat or some other brand.
After I purchased my Gt and returned from Az. to Oregon I did three things
1. Sargent seat\
2. Laminar Lip
3. Bar backs
I have since installed
1. Ohlin shocks ( awesoem and rides like a cadilac so smooooooth
2 bros exhaust ( does seem a bit loud )
I suggest items 1-3 should be considered .
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old May 9th, 2007, 9:40 am
Will ride for picts

Give yourself a couple months to see if you'll adjust to the seating position. Many folks new to the RS / GT have complained about aching hips and wrist, but soon adjust to it as seldom used muscles develop. Read Master Yoda's guide on riding position ... it will help your body adjust to the position and you may find you can avoid the bar-backs / peg lowering devices.

You shouldn't have any weight on your arms, which means that the upper body weight must be supported by your lower back and thighs. You'll know you're in the correct position when you feel your thighs tighten up a bit and push down on the pegs while sitting. The balls of your feet should be on the pegs to provide support to the thighs. You'll move your feet around as necessary, but if you generally do this when riding spiritedly, you won't drag a boot. The bike will be easier to turn since there is no weight on the bars from your arms and upper body.

In a couple weeks, you won't notice the flex of your muscles in the lower back and thighs. These are core muscles that seldom get used while sitting in chairs or car seats, which is why you notice it at first. If you still have sore arms or hips, then start considering the modifications that others have suggested.

Sierra Cement: Good for skis, bad for knees.

www.rhhall.smugmug.com
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old May 9th, 2007, 8:32 pm

I put a Laminar Lip on my 04'GT. It definitely helped reduce the wind noise for me.

That being said, I took the less expensive and not necessarily the best way to reduce the noise. If your 5'10 or less I think the Lip would be great. I'm 6'.....

K-Rider
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old May 10th, 2007, 12:35 am Thread Starter
JIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnadero
Earplugs. If you're going to be zipping along at freeway speeds for anything longer than a timesaving dash to the second or third suburb over, then earplugs are a must.
Let's be very clear about one thing I always wear earplugs. They are extremely effective but when I rode a Triumph Tiger recently, I noticed that the small fairing was very effective in reducing wind noise. This is what I am trying to achieve on my K1200GT

As for the riding position, yes I am trying to alter my posture as a primary step. So perhaps a screen extender is the simple answer; something like the Laminar screen that Billy_B57 uses and endorses ? Ideally I would simply replace the current GT screen with one that is simply about 4-5" taller. That was I could use the electric height adjuster to find the optimum level, depending upon the speed / weather mix.

However, do any of you have some PHOTOs that you can post up so that I can see the look of the bike with your mods on?

Thanks !

John I. Stephen - Tunbridge Wells, Kent, UK
K1300 GT (quite superb ! )
Triumph Tiger 1050 (2008)
K1200 GT (2003)
R1150R (2002)
Suzuki GS 750 (late 1970s)
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old May 10th, 2007, 1:36 am

Hi, have you tried adjusting the seat height, lowering the gear and break pedals and a more relaxed grip on the bars, speaking as an ex racer the grip on the bars means either you are tense or not and this drasticaly alters your riding style ie..cornering speed, breaking, accelerating and without doubt comfort, do you sit with hunched shoulders, do you use your head to best effect and look through corners, and I do know what I am talking about having raced for some 20 years..

Smooooooooooooooooooth means quick and comfortable but I must admit the saddle is a plank
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old May 10th, 2007, 1:05 pm

Lightbulb Clean Air flow and riding position GO SHORT!!

John:

It appears we have much in common. I have a 2006 Tiger, and a 2003 K1200RS, I'm six feet tall.

First: Let me get on my soap box...but I'll be brief, an earlier reply covered many great ideas for you to consider. While for many, it's counter-intuitive to go shorter and end up with less wind noise and turbulence....but IT WORKS. Maybe not for all, but for me it solves the issue.

Second: I purchased the sport screen from Triumph for my Tiger. The screen is shorter and basically a smooth curve design. The factory screen has a shape that puts unbearable turbulence at my helmet level. The sport screen has none! IF I were to use the Tiger at sustained speeds of 80mph and above, I would look for a taller screen to provide more body protection, but that's not how I ride the Tiger

Third: The solution for my K1200RS was simple, I purchased the short but curved (they make a flat one) windscreen from Ztechnik. Like the Tiger as expected, I get some wind in my chest area but NO wind buffeting at my helmet.

Check the member's photo gallery (under my screen name) in our forum for several pictures of my bike with different windscreens. If you wish additional pictures send me a PM and Iíll reply.

Good Luck in your research.

Steve
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old May 10th, 2007, 3:45 pm
Looking for better limits...

One of the revelations I had was coming home last year from THCR. Needed to stretch my legs, and sticking them forward wasn't doing the task...so I stood up. Wow...was it quiet. The edge of the comfort screen is such that the turbulance is aimed squarely at my face shield, and the turbulance is most of the nosie.

Crouch down, it's really quiet, but uncomfortable. Standing up is pretty quiet, but I can't see who's behind me anymore 'cause the mirrors are out of view. Short windscreen is on the bike for the good weather now.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser SŲze

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode