Originally Posted by dwsdad
1) any rear drive issues similiar to what the LT guys have experienced?
2) any other maintenance issues to be aware of?
3) where the heck can I test ride one of these to see if it fits. I know that after 17 yrs on my '86 Connie, that is the riding position I am the most comfortable with.
Rear drive problems are rare for the GT.
Other things to watch for are:
* fuel quick-disconnect
failure (there was a recall on this item to check the o-ring, however the real answer is to replace the plastic QD's with metal versions),
* headlamp ground wire
(will cause failure of both Hi and Low-beam),
* clutch slippage due to seal failure
at rear engine main, tranny input shaft, and / or clutch slave cylinder,
* rough throttle response due to ECU
('03's and '04's were eligible for an ECU replacement if you knew about the problem),
* early RS's had fan failures
(not common on GT's),
* over-heating / coolant leak due to weak / incorrect radiator cap
* low / dead battery
leading to ABS faults or welded starter solenoids.
Don't let this list alarm you, not all bikes suffer these maladies. These are just things to check for.
Most BMW dealers will let you test ride their bikes.