K12RS reliablity question - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old May 11th, 2007, 2:28 pm Thread Starter

K12RS reliablity question

Hi all,

I'm trying to get up to speed so to speak on the good and bad of this model. I'm currently on a Concours and am trying to narrow down the list of bikes to consider. Right now it's between a K12RS and a Duc ST3. I've had BMWs in the past and had mixed results on mechanical issues so I'm a little gun shy. I posted a similiar question on ST.net and got this response:

"Side case melting heat from exhaust can, telelever seals leaking, front brake pads evaporating, shift cam springs breaking, final drives and drive shafts premature wear and or catastrophic failures, (heard about one new k12Gt after less than 2500 miles!) excessive labour costs for routine maintenance re drive line spline lubes, etc. Do your research. BMW is NOT what most people think, IE they have an undeserved reputation for reliability."

The poster recommended looking on this forum for feedback. I understand that on the internet a few problems can seem get blown out of proportion and give a false impression, so, what do you think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old May 11th, 2007, 2:47 pm
Addict-oholic

Having had a KRS 2002 for almost 5 years. Reliability was never an issue. I replaced the battery after 3 years, and several oil changes and one brake flush, before I sold it so I can buy the new 2006 GT.

Yes, the internet has a way of blowing things out of proportion, when just a few people experience a similar problem. I had an ST1100 for almost 10 years and also had a very good experience. I think the BMW's are way better engineered than the Japanese bikes.

After you test ride the KRS, you will be sold!

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old May 11th, 2007, 3:34 pm
Veteran

Yes, I would have to say that "the sky is falling" on most every bike website. It's probably not as bad as we think, but there are some problems (some consistent) with a lot of bikes, cars, etc. My K12RS has been great. Yes, it had warranty work, but it was all covered. My Duc ST4s did not have any problems, but I put 4 times the mileage on the BMW.
One major consideration is what the dealer network does (if there is one) AFTER the sale to help keep your bike maintained.

07 BMW K1200 S (cosmic blue/titan silver)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old May 12th, 2007, 4:19 am

I have a 98 K12rs and for its age is in showroom condition, I spent ages considering a Ducati ST3/4 and then did bucket loads of research on BMW's as well.

So I decided after 4 months of internet searches/road tests/speaking to owners that the BMW was the one for me.

I have several friends that have had Ducatis and I have seen bikes off of the road for very long periods because parts back up is not that good here in the UK for Ducati, they, will tell you otherwise, 5 months for a fuel control chip! hence my friend Chris who has had 3 Dukes has now bought a Triumph Speed tripple.

I was very torn between the Ducati and Bmw, I like both but the thought of spending time without my bike or even worse sitting on the side of the road for ages does not appeal to me.

No bike is without it's own flaws though and any bike can let you down at a moments notice.

the other thing to consider is dealer and spares back up which I think is great, and the amount of websites with spares etc is staggering.

The weight of Bmw is a pain I must admit at low speeds ie pushing and pulling it about but once on the move you dont feel it and cruising at any speeds is very easy, not only that, no chain to adjust......hoooooooooooooorah!
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old May 12th, 2007, 6:00 am
Veteran

If I'm not mistaken this thread is about the K1200RS, not K1200R nor K1200R Sport... it's about one of those huge bricks, innit... :wtf

Could a moderator please shift this thread into its right forum... I get rashes from those old K-engines..

Good luck with your research!

F800GS - Grey/Black
KTM SuperDuke R
K1200R - Yellow/Black - Crashed 2008-09-01. I'm an eedjit.
Site: JLHPv5, Weblog: JLHPBv2
'Ring Toy - Evo Race Filters - Sportec M3 - Sandbar Dogbones - Tidy Tail - USB Power Plug - eTrex Legend C - Abba Superbike stand - R&G Crash Protectors (tested!) - Relocated Battery - Pirelli Diablo Corsa III (190/55 rear) - Evo O2 Modifier - Pazzo Levers - Earl's Straight Braided Brake Hoses - Wilbers Fully Adjustable Shocks Front and Rear
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old May 12th, 2007, 6:26 am
no power in the 'verse can stop me

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJoker
If I'm not mistaken this thread is about the K1200RS, not K1200R nor K1200R Sport... it's about one of those huge bricks, innit... :wtf

Could a moderator please shift this thread into its right forum... I get rashes from those old K-engines..

Done. Can't have you looking bad with all them rashes and what-not in
the KGT forum,eh ?

tim-----still on the right side of the frostline

you can't stop the signal
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old May 12th, 2007, 6:36 am
Veteran

Thanks! I feel much better now...

F800GS - Grey/Black
KTM SuperDuke R
K1200R - Yellow/Black - Crashed 2008-09-01. I'm an eedjit.
Site: JLHPv5, Weblog: JLHPBv2
'Ring Toy - Evo Race Filters - Sportec M3 - Sandbar Dogbones - Tidy Tail - USB Power Plug - eTrex Legend C - Abba Superbike stand - R&G Crash Protectors (tested!) - Relocated Battery - Pirelli Diablo Corsa III (190/55 rear) - Evo O2 Modifier - Pazzo Levers - Earl's Straight Braided Brake Hoses - Wilbers Fully Adjustable Shocks Front and Rear
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old May 12th, 2007, 12:05 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJoker

These old K- engines must be the one's on the road, whilst the new one's are in the shop being fixed.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old May 12th, 2007, 3:11 pm

Poor joker cant cope with the K engines then? had a bad experience with one?

The thing is with the K engines especialy in the 1200rs their is 130bhp as standard and you cant use all of those Horses at the same time.

But you can do a track day on one and stuff R1's, Gixers, ZX 9/10 and 12's and and boxers, k's and R's etc etc. Mind you I have raced a GSXR 1100 for some 11 Years and done the TT
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old May 12th, 2007, 5:41 pm
no power in the 'verse can stop me

Quote:
Originally Posted by prshguy
Hi all,

"Side case melting heat from exhaust can, telelever seals leaking, front brake pads evaporating, shift cam springs breaking, final drives and drive shafts premature wear and or catastrophic failures, (heard about one new k12Gt after less than 2500 miles!) excessive labour costs for routine maintenance re drive line spline lubes, etc. Do your research. BMW is NOT what most people think, IE they have an undeserved reputation for reliability."
Early, and I mean way early as in 97, 98 early, the left side bag was too close to
the pipe. BMW put a larger cutout in it to help alleviate the problem. That said, I
have one of the original bags I use all the time and have no issues with it. I don't
carry chocolate in it though.

My '98 has 87,000 miles on it. It turns ten yrs' old in June. Aside from normal
maintenance, gas, oil and tires, I've had to do the following.

Left fork seal twice, once at 32K miles ( under warranty ) and recently at
86K miles.

Replaced the clutch at 69K miles.

Shocks, front and rear, replaced with Ohlins at 32K miles.

Two sets of front brake pads, first at 40K miles and the second at 85K.
The rears were replaced once. I replaced a bad front master cylinder with
the second set of front pads.

The valves received their very first adjustment at 85K

Headlight bulbs go at 25-30 K miles. Carry a spare with ya.

This bike requires NO spline lube, that's a feature of the older K bikes.

I've been all over the lower 48 with my bike. It has NEVER let me down or
left me stranded.

If you ride it on a regular basis, it'll run forever. If it's a garage queen that never
gets out it'll suck big time.

Tell your Ducati friends to stick with Ducs, it's obvious they don't know shit
about K12RS'

tim-----still on the right side of the frostline

you can't stop the signal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode