Providing TLC for my K12GT (03) - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old May 14th, 2007, 1:26 pm Thread Starter
JIS

Providing TLC for my K12GT (03)

I readily admit that I am fairly ignorant when it comes to much more than checking and topping up the oil, tyre pressures etc. Many of you are clearly very knowledgeable and love your bikes and give them lots of TLC.
My question is simple; what can I do to keep my GT in tip top condition other than take it along to BMW at the prescribed intervals and keep the oil topped up in between times?
Thanks !

John I. Stephen - Tunbridge Wells, Kent, UK
K1300 GT (quite superb ! )
Triumph Tiger 1050 (2008)
K1200 GT (2003)
R1150R (2002)
Suzuki GS 750 (late 1970s)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old May 14th, 2007, 2:20 pm
Veteran

well there are alot of things that you can do to make for a lasting companion and things that let you know your bike, much better.....I would start by the challenge of taking of all the plastic....and look around at what makes that baby tick....there is a web site that has good instructions on removing plastic...but...i cant think of it right now...but...someone will chime in with that ...no doubt....one thing that gets missed is the coolers....make sure they are clean and no road dirt has built up....some w-d40 on the side stand and center stand is good to do often.....while the plastic is off blow out all the dirt and sand with air.....check for any leaks ....just jump in and and look around...best thing i can tell you...get to know where everything is and youll be happy you did....if you have a manual look over that while you digging in....maybe take some pics of what your looking at and you can go back to them to just get familiar with it again...but my BIG thing is clean clean clean.....have fun ...there will be a lot more coming up i bet ...from others that have found things to keep it a smooth operating machine....good luck and dont be afraid to jump in and get to know the beast....Rember if you ever get stuck with a problem...this is the place to come...wheather its an extra screw or what ever....someone here will help out....
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old May 14th, 2007, 10:01 pm

Keep a fresh battery - if you don't get to ride it for a week or two use the trickle charger.

Most of the guys I've talked to that know BMW's say that the most important thing to do is just ride 'em often. They don't like to sit up and not be running, or they get stale and gremlins set in. A rolling stone gathers no moss or something to the effect.

Buy quality gasoline. Stay away from the cheap crap. Gotta keep those injectors clean...

Dave.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old May 15th, 2007, 12:22 am Thread Starter
JIS

I think that BAK04GT's advice is sound but quite raidcal (taking all the plastic off); however it does make sense

Yes I always use premium fuel (now over 1 per litre here ). But what OIL would you recommend; I have used Silkolene (spelling?) which was recommended by my local dealer; it's v expensive :wtf

Anything lese ?

K1200 GT (2003)
R1150R (2002)
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old May 15th, 2007, 12:16 pm

May sound silly - but keep it CLEAN. If I'm anal about keeping it clean, and paying attention to what I'm cleaning, I'll likely note issues before they become a biggie.

Along with this, before every ride I do a "pre-flight" and visually check everything.

That said, here's my laundry-list (pun intended):
  • Always use the center stand
  • Tires at proper inflation - checked weekly
  • Fluid check weekly
  • Check wheels and bearings (on the center stand)
  • Brake pad check
  • 6,000 mile service. Religiously!
  • Annual service. Yes, annually. This is an easy DIY.
  • Take off the easy stuff (seat, etc) and give the bike a thorough cleaning, but watch the electrics. Check all those removable parts for wear, fraying, and dirt.
  • Fastener check - weekly. Look for loose fasteners (on the luggage rack, for example)
There's obviously more you could do, but I think of these as essentials.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old May 15th, 2007, 1:41 pm
Enthusiast

Buy a copy of the Clymer manual. It will give you enough information to tear down the motor if you want, but you can use it just for routine maintenance. Fluid changes, filters, battery, lights, etc. are all things you can easily handle with the info in this manual. Not only will you save some money, you will become more familiar with the bike and your comfort level for repairs will increase.

You can buy it from Pirate's lair among other places:
Pirate's Lair website

'03 K1200GT

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2007, 2:33 am Thread Starter
JIS

Thanks DavidK63; did that, but gt it on Amazon for half the price of the web site in the states :-) Looking forward to reading it !

K1200 GT (2003)
R1150R (2002)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode