Bag fell off ! - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old May 17th, 2007, 8:16 am Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Ashland, Ohio, USA
Posts: 60
Bag fell off !

This is an embarrassing one,
Riding on the interstate on my 04 GT I hear a 'dragging' noise, and before I know it the noise stops, and the left rear bag proceeds to spin down the road, paint side down of course, fortunately not causing any accidents or being crushed by a semi.
I need to make up my mind on whether to replace (orient blue) the lid,get it painted, or maybe go for some of those City lids,actually they'd be just right for me.
The body shop I took it to was a trip, they started off with the negatives right off the bat, "We probably can't get the paint", etc.,etc. I told the knucklehead I've got the code (309), but it was like talking to a wall.
Does anybody know what the heck I did to allow that thing to come loose ? I hadn't had it off in months, and it was empty. Putting it back on it seemed to latch fine . Doug
dobent4 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old May 17th, 2007, 8:48 am
Addict
 
carnadero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Sillycon Valley, CA, USA
Posts: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobent4
Does anybody know what the heck I did to allow that thing to come loose ? I hadn't had it off in months, and it was empty. Putting it back on it seemed to latch fine .
The only thing to say is to double check the attachment points after pushing down the top latch. I do't use my bags a lot, but when I do, I visually check the two hook points and make sure they're completely engaged. Then the mating point with the pillion footrest brace, then as a last check pulling up on the bag to see if the attachment is secure.

Haven't had a bag drop off at speed as of yet.

Black 2002 K1200RS - "The Beast" (over 100k miles)
carnadero is offline  
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old May 17th, 2007, 10:37 am
JIS
Senior Member
 
JIS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Tunbridge Wells, Kent, UK
Posts: 192
Hello Doug; I bought my 03GT recently and the seller was emphatic about securing the panniers on all three catch points. he advised me to to is slowly and carefully.

This may be a bit like offering dvice too late but it may possibly explain what happened..

Good luck

John I. Stephen - Tunbridge Wells, Kent, UK
K1300 GT (quite superb ! )
Triumph Tiger 1050 (2008)
K1200 GT (2003)
R1150R (2002)
Suzuki GS 750 (late 1970s)
JIS is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old May 17th, 2007, 1:09 pm Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Ashland, Ohio, USA
Posts: 60
Yup, if I would've given all 3 points a good tug I'll bet it wouln't have departed.
If anyone sees a set of City case lids let me know ! Doug
dobent4 is offline  
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old May 17th, 2007, 3:41 pm
Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: , , UK
Posts: 3,750
It's a bit late for you now, but I drilled the lower bag mounts so I can feed in a re-useable tiewrap cable tie. I've also had a lid drop down for several miles at 70mph making the bike feel it was on a slalom. The new lids have stronger lock retainer mountings. Here's the pic:



Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bottom hold downsmall.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	5157  
voxmagna is offline  
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old May 17th, 2007, 4:51 pm
Senior Member
 
tonysrep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: portland, oregon, usa
Posts: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobent4
This is an embarrassing one,
Riding on the interstate on my 04 GT I hear a 'dragging' noise, and before I know it the noise stops, and the left rear bag proceeds to spin down the road, paint side down of course, fortunately not causing any accidents or being crushed by a semi.
I need to make up my mind on whether to replace (orient blue) the lid,get it painted, or maybe go for some of those City lids,actually they'd be just right for me.
The body shop I took it to was a trip, they started off with the negatives right off the bat, "We probably can't get the paint", etc.,etc. I told the knucklehead I've got the code (309), but it was like talking to a wall.
Does anybody know what the heck I did to allow that thing to come loose ? I hadn't had it off in months, and it was empty. Putting it back on it seemed to latch fine . Doug
Motorcycle paint codes mean nothing to the supplier.They only have the automotive codes. I had to give them a panel to match the paint .
I feel for you , must have had an issue with the latch
tonysrep is offline  
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old May 17th, 2007, 6:50 pm
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 43
Doh! Sorry to hear about that. A friend had a bag pop off of her RT after hitting a pothole. Not exactly sure why, but since then I've always been meticulous about ensuring the mount points on the bags are properly aligned when I lower the "big handle". I thought I was being paranoid, but maybe not.

As we all know, lifting the thin handle to open a lid requires first lifting the thick handle, which releases the attachment. Did you maybe bump it out of alignment one time when the lid was open?
kperson is offline  
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old May 18th, 2007, 8:33 am Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Ashland, Ohio, USA
Posts: 60
Quote:
Did you maybe bump it out of alignment one time when the lid was open?
Entirely possible Kerry.
I like that re-useable zip-tie idea Voxmagna, I believe I'll do that. Doug
dobent4 is offline  
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old May 19th, 2007, 1:59 pm
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonysrep
Motorcycle paint codes mean nothing to the supplier.They only have the automotive codes. I had to give them a panel to match the paint .
I feel for you , must have had an issue with the latch
Except in this case, the BMW paint code is the same for both BMW motorcycles and automobiles. How do I know? 'Cause I ordered the touch-up paint for my Grau-Green K1200GT at my local BMW Autohaus... the nearest BMW Motorrad dealer is 120 miles North of where I live.
motorradnik is offline  
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2007, 5:40 pm Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Ashland, Ohio, USA
Posts: 60
Thanks for the info on the BMW car and bike codes being the same, that made things a whole lot easier. I found a body shop with a good reputation that's going to do the job for 150 bucks including paint, so that's where it is.
The BMW roundel and reflector were both easier to find and cheaper than I would have guessed (about 21 bucks). Doug
dobent4 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Passenger comfort TomsterMVA K12/1300S 17 Apr 23rd, 2008 6:35 am
Shaka.. When the Walls Fell.... Robbed Today Pirate Bike Talk 32 May 3rd, 2006 7:20 am
Lost My BMW Top Case - BMW Replaced craigj K1200RS/GT (Classic) 8 Feb 16th, 2006 9:57 am
Rossi Shines in F1 Testing eljeffe Bike Talk 3 Feb 4th, 2006 4:03 pm
damn bike won't start! jimbobvfr Technical, Repair and Maintenance 6 Nov 14th, 2005 3:08 pm

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome