Need a little help with Ohlins - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old May 19th, 2007, 8:14 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Question Need a little help with Ohlins

Ok I went to install the rear shock and find that the BM702 Reservoir fitting from the shock body is bent at to large an angle and will need to be tweaked about 10 degrees. This is on a '02 RS and Ohlins says this is the correct shock.

Can anyone recommend a Ohlins rebuilder in the Ohio area that can recharge/oil fill the shock after the fitting is persuaded back to angle where it will alow the rear right body panel to fit.

Thanks

Dwight-NEO

Last edited by dwight_neo; May 19th, 2007 at 8:21 pm. Reason: added year and model
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old May 19th, 2007, 10:49 pm

I thought the compression reservior was detached on a hose. How are you tryingto mount the reservior and how are you running the hose through the bikes frame? This is the correct shock for the bike, but you might want to search the forum for photos of the install.

Good Luck,
Mark
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old May 20th, 2007, 1:56 am Thread Starter
Rookie

Snip:

I thought the compression reservoir was detached on a hose. How are you trying to mount the reservoir and how are you running the hose through the bikes frame?

End Snip:

Yes it is however no mater if the reservoir is going to be attached to the frame member by trimming the panel or the aluminum bracket by the passenger foot peg, the angle of the fitting is forcing the hose out too far to allow the panel to be put back on. Also I have checked out Gunsmoke and every other mounting ideas that everyone has posted and so far the only ones that would work will be the mounting of the cylinder on the frame below the right side rear panel or by the foot rest.

The hose is so stiff that it doesn't give you a lot of options and the fitting is still at the wrong angle since it forces the hose out further than the body panel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old May 20th, 2007, 8:23 am
no power in the 'verse can stop me

MPH computrack in Hudson rebuilt mine last year.

tim-----still on the right side of the frostline

you can't stop the signal
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2007, 1:50 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwight_neo
Snip:

I thought the compression reservoir was detached on a hose. How are you trying to mount the reservoir and how are you running the hose through the bikes frame?

End Snip:

Yes it is however no mater if the reservoir is going to be attached to the frame member by trimming the panel or the aluminum bracket by the passenger foot peg, the angle of the fitting is forcing the hose out too far to allow the panel to be put back on. Also I have checked out Gunsmoke and every other mounting ideas that everyone has posted and so far the only ones that would work will be the mounting of the cylinder on the frame below the right side rear panel or by the foot rest.

The hose is so stiff that it doesn't give you a lot of options and the fitting is still at the wrong angle since it forces the hose out further than the body panel.
Pic attached. No mods necessary. Don't understand the problem.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OhlinsRear.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	288.1 KB
ID:	5200   Click image for larger version

Name:	OhlinsRear-2.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	272.9 KB
ID:	5201  
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2007, 6:16 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Arrow It is the fitting On the shock not where the res...

The location you show the reservoir located is the same place I am mounting it.

The issue is the fitting on the shock body with the stainless hose is at to great an angle and the right rear bady panel wont go on since the hose is bent out past where the panel is located.

Kyle Racing is haveing the same problem with the same style of shock on a '02 krs and Ohlins is asking for info to help them figure out how to resolve the problem. If the fitting was at a lesser angle so it is more parrallel to the shock body and/or rotated 30 degrees then the parts wouldn't interfere with the assemble and it would all fit with no muss or fuss.

Look at this thread it is the same issue

K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion > Bikes > K1200RS/GT Help with Ohlin rear shock (46HRCLS, BM702) install

Does that make the problem clear?

Last edited by dwight_neo; May 21st, 2007 at 6:39 pm. Reason: added thread info for clarity
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2007, 7:57 pm
Looking for better limits...

Ah.

I think everyone is thinking reservoir connection when discussing the reservoir and not the shock connection. Which is kind of strange in and of itself, because I'm sure there are Ohlin shocks mounted that haven't had that problem.

Maybe Ohlins got a different part, but it's the same part number...

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Sze
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2007, 9:32 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Very possible!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 2007, 9:45 am
ten

fix for rear shock rebound dampening reservoir

I also just had rear ohlins installed. I had the dealer do it while they were fixing a leaking output shaft seal on the transmission. My shock also had the angled bango joint on the line coming out of the shock body. There was no way to install the body panels. The solution was to send it back to ohlins usa where they replaced the coupling with a 90 degree one and then it will fit. ohlins did this under warranty and have admitted that this is a known issue but have not really told anyone about it. i think this is a very poor position for a company such as ohlins. in addition, the reservoir could not be mounted to the seat frame rail as shown by ohlins due to the brake fluid reservoir (mine is a '04 K12RS). This was not a problem with the pre-servo brake models. The solution provided by ohlins was to remove the charcoal canister under the seat and mount the rebound dampening reservoir in it's place. This was a very bid pain in the a## but I really do like the improved suspension so perhaps it was worth it.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 2007, 4:17 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Yep my shock is still there....

Mine is a '02 and I had the same issue where the fitting and line interfered with the body panel. Kyle racing contacted Ohlins and Ohlins initiate a pick up of the shock and will change the connector after finding the problem since the design hasn't changed in almost ten years.

I don't think Ohlins can tell you to remove the carbon canister since that is part of the emissions package.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode