BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

Avon's new Storms?

2K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  bluestreak 
#1 ·
So, fellers and fellas, what's the word on the new Avon Storms? I'm a devoted fan of the Azaros and am saddened by their demise; hoping that the Storms are at least as good. TIA!

#2 ·
I've got them on my RS, good grip and no complaints from me. Not enough rain time to post evaluation in wet performance. However have driven on roadways after sprinkles (enough to bring up the oils) and I believe they should be very good in wet conditions. Found no problems with quick fallin to curves, rather predictable. Would have to check date of sale for mileage to date, but would guess around 700-1,000 miles so far.

Had a screw enter just off center during past month. Plugged with mushroom plug and holding up extreemly well. Shame to waste the rear Avon Storm with so few miles. I have a backup BT-020 rear available and new Perelli's en route. Will keep stressing this storm for a while longer as the plug is not dead center on tire and out of the typical "flat patch" caused by too much slab.

#3 ·
I've got a set & have almost 2,000 miles on them... Grip has been excellent in wet or dry conditions so far. I've been very ham-fisted, so the rear has squared off already a bit, but I'm headed to Arkansas & the Ozarks on June 5th, so hopefully I can do some 'side scrubbin' while I'm there and try to even them out a bit.

#7 ·
Hu99 said:
Why do people pay extra for low mileage Avons when there are the Bridgestones, Michelin Pilots and Dunlops which all give high mileage and superb grip and feedback?
I've put tons of miles on Metzler Z-4's and Z-6's, Dunlop 220's, 'Stone 020's and wanted to try something different.
Read some great reviews of Avon's working well on K Bikes, so I thought they were worth a shot. They were only slightly more expensive than those other tires.
And, no matter what, I usually get 5k or less to a rear down here in Texas anyway, so not a big deal to me what I run... I like to be different.

#8 ·
If your happy with the milage of your Z6's you should be happy with the milage of the Storm's. I got about 4.3 out of the new Storms. I will have to say the Storms drop into the curves nicely, stick under most conditions, and wear evenly. Great tire, but I've gone back to the Conti-Road Attacks. 98.5% as good a tire as the Storms and I usually get 7k for milage. Plus you save a few bucks.

#9 ·
GT-1 said:
If your happy with the milage of your Z6's you should be happy with the milage of the Storm's. I got about 4.3 out of the new Storms. I will have to say the Storms drop into the curves nicely, stick under most conditions, and wear evenly. Great tire, but I've gone back to the Conti-Road Attacks. 98.5% as good a tire as the Storms and I usually get 7k for milage. Plus you save a few bucks.

The price diff for me between the contis and the storms is $6.00 a set - check out Southwest Moto Tires for prices. I got almost 7k out of the last set of Azaros - as long as I stay out of Texas, they last pretty well! Thanks for the report on the Storms.

#10 ·
Hu99 said:
Why do people pay extra for low mileage Avons when there are the Bridgestones, Michelin Pilots and Dunlops which all give high mileage and superb grip and feedback?
Was not my experience on my K1200RS, I got significantly more mileage from Azaros than my previous Michelin Pilots. Now, treadlife is REALLY going downhill since I got my S!!!

#11 ·
Avon'

I have the new and improved Avon on the rear and a pilot power on the front.
I have never liked the feel of the front Avon and was previously running a Z6 with the Avon.
I just put on the pilot today and man it is awesome. Great frickin ride and it gets down,
The new Avon I like as well as the old and with 68 K on my GT I have burned a lot of tires .
I will remain with my pilot front and Avon rear,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.