Removing tires - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2007, 11:57 am Thread Starter

Removing tires

I need new tires and will be removing the front and rear tire for the first time. I am hoping to have the rubber changed without having to sit around for hours and or leave the bike. I found a thread describing the procedure.
The below steps were copied from the tread. My question concerns the service manual. It describes greasing the quick release axle and bearing cover lightly with Shell Retinex Ep2. I'll get this stuff if you recomend it but what else can be used since I can't remeber seeing any Shell products anywhere. Also if you have any tips on removing the brake calibers or anything thats tricky related to this subject it would be greatly appreciated. Why can't I just leave the calipers on the front like the rear and remove the tire that way? It seems to be straightforward procedure. Thanks in advance

1. Put bike in first and roll forward.
2. Loosen rear wheel bolts.
3. Put bike on centerstand.
4. Remove rear wheel bolts and loosen muffler hanger bolt.
5. Drag wheel out, being careful and wiggling muffler to allow clearance.
6. Remove front fender, brake calipers, and loosen all front wheel bolts.
7. Turn handlebars to lock position and lock them.
8. Put my cheapy sears automotive floor jack under the fork end on the left side (in respect to sitting on seat - this is the low side) and jack it up until the front tire is off the ground.
9. Finish removing loosened hardware and then roll the tire out.

Then take them to be changed and install in reverse order. I've done it with this method probably 4 times, and it doesn't require removing ANY bodywork except for the front fender. Obviously, if you're going to do it this way, be smart and make sure it's on flat ground - don't let the dog or kids out near where they're gonna mess with it, etc. But mine has set on the centerstand and my regular automotive floor jack for several days before without any problem. I used to have a pic of it like this, but can't seem to find it now for some reason.

Last edited by jChevy04k1200rs; May 22nd, 2007 at 12:03 pm. Reason: another question
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2007, 12:17 pm
Veteran

The only reason for a very thin coat of grease on the front axle is to keeping it from rusting or corroding. Any good waterproof axle/wheelbearing grease will do.

The wheel/tire will not clear the forks with the calipers in place.

I never removed my front wheel like you describe. I always removed the bellypan and used a bottle jack under the oil pan. If it works for you, why change?

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2007, 6:46 pm Thread Starter

Thanks Brucecha,
I have time and a 2nd bike so I'll take my time with the tire removal. Removing the front brakes hopefully wont be tricky. I guess there is some flexability in the lines for moving them out of the way. Thanks again

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2007, 8:57 pm
Veteran

John
I use a pair of 90 snap ring pliers to move the brake pads back a little. I don't twist the loose caliper back and forth on the disc to move the pads. I'm afraid of tweaking the disc.

There is plenty of slack in the brake lines to swing the calipers off.

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2007, 9:35 pm
Rookie

I put a piece of plywood under the center stand. Its 3/4 and 1/4 sandwiched together for a total of 1 inch. This makes getting the rear tire out easier.

Charlie
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2007, 9:51 pm

Wink watch the rear caliper

Tape off the rear wheel to remove the caliper. I used a few layers 3/4 of blue painters tape. Maybe moving the exhaust can a bit is good, but mine came off and on with the tape.

The front is easier. The hardest thing is to get the wheel off the ground. I did one at a time, since I have a No-Mar changer. Make sure to line up the hole on the front axle the right way or you can get a whistle noise. Take digital pictures. Great for reference. BMW are well engineered and if your paitent and thorough, great to work on. Do your research and read all the threads on this forum, these riders have done it all.
Good luck!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2007, 10:20 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtull01
Make sure to line up the hole on the front axle the right way or you can get a whistle noise.
Errr, are you serious? Because I thought my modular helmet was whistling, but I only started hearing it some time after I removed and replaced the rims when I put on new tires. Maybe it's the hole in the axle whistling? Which way should it be?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 2007, 7:36 am Thread Starter

You Guys are great. Thanks for all the info. I'll gather up everything you suggested and have a go at it on Friday. Thanks again for all the advice.

John C

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode