2003 Clutch Problem-10K Miles full replacement - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2007, 4:31 pm Thread Starter

Angry 2003 Clutch Problem-10K Miles full replacement

Anyone else run into issues with their clutch?... I need a total clutch replacement on my 2003 GT and I have 10,450 Miles on it. Dealer is so far not willing to give any consideration or goodwill toward the cost. 10,000 easy miles is BS to need a new clutch!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2007, 4:52 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomVickerman
Anyone else run into issues with their clutch?... I need a total clutch replacement on my 2003 GT and I have 10,450 Miles on it. Dealer is so far not willing to give any consideration or goodwill toward the cost. 10,000 easy miles is BS to need a new clutch!
That's really poor for a clutch. But you don't yet know if it's the friction material that is worn/burned or more likely the main or O ring seals have failed and poured oil on an otherwise good clutch. Get to see your friction plate when it comes out.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2007, 6:24 pm

What is the reason/symptom for your replacement?
I've pulled trailers with all the K's I've owned, and have yet to destroy a clutch from wear. My current 04 had the clutch replaced at the 6K service because the dealer spotted a little oil leak. They replaced the main seal and clutch pack under warranty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2007, 10:05 pm
Will ride for picts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomVickerman
It's almost certainly caused by an oil leak. The K's are known to leak fluids onto the clutch in one of three ways: rear main seal leak, clutch slave cylinder leak, and transmission input shaft leak. My 2003 GT developed a leak at 30k miles or so, but was replaced under warranty.

Complain to BMW North America instead of the dealer, and see if they'll cover it under warranty. The dealer likely won't budge unless BMW NA gets involved. This is a well known issue, so BMW NA might be understanding.

When they are in there fixing the leak, make sure they address all three leak points. The clutch slave cylinder should get a new rod that has a wiper on it. The engine and tranny should get new seals.

Oh, and try a search next time. This topic is well documented.

Sierra Cement: Good for skis, bad for knees.

www.rhhall.smugmug.com
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 2007, 4:55 am
Addict

true dat

i had my clutch replaced at 20k miles. mine was the seal leak, a common problem with these models. if u see any misting at the clutch/tranny/engine joints, then a seal is bad and the $1500 job should be covered under warranty.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode