Re:How to check trans oil - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2007, 4:51 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Re:How to check trans oil

Could anybody please tell me how to check the oil of an "02" K12? And what do I look for as far as how it should look? I've changed the trans oil before but I never noticed how to just check it's level and so I'm not quit sure how that's done? Thanks in advance.:-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2007, 5:08 pm
Addict

Tranny oil

Run the bike to operating temp. Drain. Refill with premeasured amount per manual. Watch for metal shavings and bits. The oil is not that expensive to change once or twice a year even with low miles, even if it is not dirty. Additionally, I change out the final drive oil when I change out the motor oil. It doesn't hurt a thing to change out those consumable items more often rather than less.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2007, 7:01 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007007
Could anybody please tell me how to check the oil of an "02" K12? And what do I look for as far as how it should look? I've changed the trans oil before but I never noticed how to just check it's level and so I'm not quit sure how that's done? Thanks in advance.:-)

With the bike on the centerstand and level. Remove the fill plug and the oil should be level with the bottom of the plug threads. When you change the gear oil, 600cc. tops it off.

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2007, 8:22 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Re:How to check trans oil

Thanks for your help, now I guess I'll go out and get some gear max oil from Royal Purple and change everything out and do the same for my wife's R1100S.:-)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode