Where to get my heated GT fixed???? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old May 25th, 2007, 3:54 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Question Where to get my heated GT fixed????

Although warm weather is fast approaching, I am still miffed about my heated seat not working. I searched on the list for all the related posts and performed all the necessary tests. Everything checked out ok, but it still did not work. I took the bike into the dealer for the 24k service and asked them to find out why the seat did not work. They told me that they thought it was a bad seat.

Does anyone know where I can send my seat to get repaired? I don't want to spend $290 for a new one if I can get it repained

bmwvuk1200
2003 Orient Blue K1200GT
Limerick, PA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old May 26th, 2007, 3:45 pm
Noob

same seat problem

i have an 03 gt and have the same problem, let me know what you find out.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old May 26th, 2007, 5:09 pm
Veteran

Did either of you guys do a search for "heated seat wiring diagram"??

I know there is a lot of discussion on heated seat problems.

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old May 29th, 2007, 4:11 pm
Looking for better limits...

I've had two seats fail, one under the 3 year warranty, the second on the two-year parts warranty. I now have the second verson of the seat, where there's a seam between the rider and pillion section. So far, it's been go.

The tests are simple, using a VOM. Set it to OHMS and measure the resistance between the brown wire and the blue wire. Now, I'll probably get this wrong, as it's a 50/50 chance and I'm too lazy to use the search feature to find out what I wrote before. But, in reality, it doesn't matter...you should see 14 ohms on the meter. It'll be 7 ohms between the brown and black. 21 ohms between blue and black. Thing is, you should see three different values, depending on which two you measure. Common point would be where the heating elements are tied together in the seat with the ground wire (brown). No readings at all means that common point has opened. A seat upolstery place might be able to get the cover off and you can then make (or have made) the necessary repairs...then recover the seat.

If the seat is good resistance wise, then change the VOM to volts and at the frame connector for the seat, look for 12v between the blue and brown wire as well as the black and brown wire AFTER the heated switch is in the full up position (and the key is on). If there's volts there, and there's resistance in the seat, then be sure the connector is in good condtion and that it's FULLY plugged into the frame socket.

No 12V, then hope it's a fuse. Otherwise, you have a switch or harness connection that's not doing its role anymore...and more quality time with your ride needs to be spent.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Sze
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 2008, 11:24 pm

Question

Razel thanks,stock seat on my 03 k1200 has same challenge, was this a gradual or immediate failure?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 2008, 10:19 pm
Enthusiast

Heated seat failures

I've had two heated seats fail. Both seats failed after riding for long periods with the heat set on high. With the third seat, I have only used the high setting long enough to feel the heat, then switch to low.

As far as repairing yours, I doubt you'll find any one willing to take the job on. You might try contacting a few dealers to see if they'll help you on the price. The mark up on this seat is quite generous.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 2008, 12:36 pm

I bought my '03 in November 06 and the heated seat worked well for one or two short rides which lasted less than 40 minutes. On the third time I felt the high heat wasn't working, just the low heat and it takes for ever to start feeling it.

I read several articles from different forums and these GT seats seem to have the same problem. I don't bother repairing because I rarely use the bike in the winter and I know it will brake again soon if i repair it. If you can't keep the high heat setting for 20 minutes what is the purpose of having it?

'87 K100LT
'00 Valkyrie I/S
'05 K1200LT

'03 KRS - Sold in 2006
'04 R1150RT - Sold in 2006
'03 K1200GT - Sold in 2009

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode