HID High Beam vs. PIAA's - help - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old May 28th, 2007, 1:31 am Thread Starter

HID High Beam vs. PIAA's - help

I installed the CQLight HID low beam. As everyone experiences, my high beam now does very little. But, I need more light for offramps and dark turns, so I'm considering either adding some PIAA's (relayed to the high beams) or going with an HID High Beam light. Thoughts? Since the high beam only seems to be focused in the very center above the low beam light, I'm assuming most of you will say go with some PIAA's or the like. But which one's are bright enough, and fit an '03 GT, to make a difference over the HID low beams? Again, I'm looking for additional distance light for offramps and turns, when I need more light out farther to see better. Also, can you run PIAA's all the time (like the 1100's), or are they too bright to run with the low beams? Thanks.

Bob Holthaus - St. Louis, MO - '03 K1200GT - Lite Buddies - MV Adjustable Risers - V1 - Mix-It2 - FIAMM's - CQ HID - Zumo 550 - PIAA 004XT - Custom LED front markers - Aeroflow Tall Sport Screen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old May 28th, 2007, 12:42 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobholthaus
I installed the CQLight HID low beam. As everyone experiences, my high beam now does very little. But, I need more light for offramps and dark turns, so I'm considering either adding some PIAA's (relayed to the high beams) or going with an HID High Beam light. Thoughts? Since the high beam only seems to be focused in the very center above the low beam light, I'm assuming most of you will say go with some PIAA's or the like. But which one's are bright enough, and fit an '03 GT, to make a difference over the HID low beams? Again, I'm looking for additional distance light for offramps and turns, when I need more light out farther to see better. Also, can you run PIAA's all the time (like the 1100's), or are they too bright to run with the low beams? Thanks.
Bob
I added a pair of PIAA 004XT aux. lights(about $125.00 on eBay), mounted on a homemade aluminum bracket under the oil cooler. They are 55watts apiece and DO light things up!

I use them when crossing the desert and other desolate riding. For me they are a good addition to my HID lo-beam and stock hi-beam.

Lamp usage is up to the individual, some people might feel it's overkill, others say it's still not enough light.

Sorry, I can't post pictures. I keep getting "invalid file" even though the file is jpeg.
Using pdf's is the only way I could post pictures, sorry.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf 1.pdf (251.9 KB, 34 views)
File Type: pdf 2.pdf (278.6 KB, 17 views)
File Type: pdf 3.pdf (257.4 KB, 12 views)

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST

Last edited by Razel; May 29th, 2007 at 1:59 pm. Reason: Added photos
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old May 30th, 2007, 7:07 am

Cool

Bruce, Great looking install----inside the fairing makes it look very OEM too! JD Also --bump proof too!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old May 30th, 2007, 8:26 am Thread Starter

Bruce, thank you. I see the pics as well (it worked). Although they are not as small as the 1100's, they do look good and I can imagine that they put out some light. I'm going to order a pair. Now I just need to figure out how to tap into the high beam curcuit to get them to come on when I put my high beams on!

Bob Holthaus - St. Louis, MO - '03 K1200GT - Lite Buddies - MV Adjustable Risers - V1 - Mix-It2 - FIAMM's - CQ HID - Zumo 550 - PIAA 004XT - Custom LED front markers - Aeroflow Tall Sport Screen
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old May 30th, 2007, 9:37 am
Veteran

Quote:
Bruce, thank you. I see the pics as well (it worked). Although they are not as small as the 1100's, they do look good and I can imagine that they put out some light. I'm going to order a pair. Now I just need to figure out how to tap into the high beam curcuit to get them to come on when I put my high beams on!

Bob
That kit comes with a switch,relay, fuse and battery lugs for power. Power the switch(or eliminate it) from the high beam(just before it plugs into the headlight housing. And power the aux. lights from a separate source.

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old May 30th, 2007, 12:37 pm
"DELIVERS"

Quote:
Personally, I can't imagine needing more light than a HID gives....is it adjusted correctly?

'04 GT...Orient Blue...Staintune...Ohlins...Power Commander
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old May 30th, 2007, 9:20 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkman
Personally, I can't imagine needing more light than a HID gives....is it adjusted correctly?
For most urban driving you are correct. But when in rural areas (example: Northern WI and Upper MI) where there a lots of deer and other critters, having extra lights like PIAAs is much better, wider light pattern and helps to light up those red eyes hanging out near\on roads.

03K12RS
:wtf Joel Callan :wtf
Milwaukee, WI 53222

Homepage

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode