Barbacks & Brake Lines - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old May 31st, 2007, 8:41 pm Thread Starter

Barbacks & Brake Lines

Last year I bought a set of 30mm Verholen Barbacks for my wifes '04 KRS. The stock brake line barely fits and it's snug on full lock. After about about 5K miles on the 30mm and 30K total on her bike, she now wants to try some 65mm Verholen Barbacks. Her problem is after 3 or 4 days of 350 mile days she get pretty tired in the upper body. And by day 3 and 4 is a real struggle to be comfortable. Girls do have a shorter torso and reach than guys so some mods seem reasonable, especially after logging 30K on the bike.

So now we want to try the 65mm Barbacks but we need a new brake line. What's the experience out there in getting customized brake lines made? Who makes them? Are there standardized measurements for brake lines with specific barbacks? Our dealer has a maker and is checking but he is suggesting we remove the stock line and send it to the maker with a "measurement" for extension using the stock line as a template. That means either down time or a replacement stock line purchased and used while the new line is made.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated!

Thanks - FlagGS

'04 K1200RS
'07 R1200RT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old May 31st, 2007, 9:00 pm
Enthusiast

You don't need a custom brake line. I had a set of Suburban Type II barbacks put on my GT and had to have longer brake lines put on. I believe the ones the dealer installed are the stock brake line from an LT. Ask your dealer about that. My install took about two hours.

'03 K1200GT

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old May 31st, 2007, 9:07 pm
Will ride for picts

IIRC, many people used LT brake lines when installing bar backs.

Sierra Cement: Good for skis, bad for knees.

www.rhhall.smugmug.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old May 31st, 2007, 10:51 pm
Enthusiast

Bar-Bax and brake lines

Call Bob's BMW. They'll supply you with almost any length braide stainless brake line, and a clutch line too, if you need it.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 2007, 6:33 pm Thread Starter

Plan "B"

Thanks for the replies. I really don't want her to go with a longer Barbacks. So today we moved her foot pegs into the upper position, thinking that will push her up some and relieve some tension on her back. I'm not sure if this will help on those longer multi day rides. The next one is scheduled for July 1, so we will find out then. In the meantime we will see how it works on some 250 mile day rides. Her initial response is that the shifter is easier to operate in the new position.

Oh yeah I gave her a Sargent Seat last month for our anniversary. Nice guy aren't I. Yeah I'm a dam lucky guy too!

FlagGS

'04 K1200RS
'07 R1200RT
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 2007, 7:57 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlagGS
So today we moved her foot pegs into the upper position, thinking that will push her up some and relieve some tension on her back. I'm not sure if this will help on those longer multi day rides.
If her knees started to ache after cruising for a little while with the pegs in the lower position, they'll probably get worse with the pegs higher up. There's really no "pushing up" going on by only raising the pegs; what will happen is that her legs will be bent at more of an angle at the knees. Assuming that the seat is being used while set in the lower position and a higher sitting position is wanted, the only way to achieve that is to raise the seat to the upper setting. Unfortunately, raising the seat means she'll be leaning a little more forward, which is what I suspect the problem is.

I'm guessing that she wants to be more upright, and really the only way to get that effect are longer bar backs.

Black 2002 K1200RS - "The Beast" (over 100k miles)
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 2007, 8:52 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
I really don't want her to go with a longer Barbacks.
Shouldn't SHE be the one deciding whether or not to put barbacks on? Regardless of what your feelings are she is the one riding the bike and must feel comfortable in her own way.

'03 K1200GT

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 2007, 10:03 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidk63
Shouldn't SHE be the one deciding whether or not to put barbacks on? Regardless of what your feelings are she is the one riding the bike and must feel comfortable in her own way.
Absolutely, it's her bike and she makes the call. If she decides she wants to try the 65mm, she will. In the meantime we thought we would try the foot pegs. I know that the slightest adjustment can make a big difference.

Trust me it's in my best interest to have a riding partner that is having a positive comfortable riding experience.

'04 K1200RS
'07 R1200RT
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 2007, 10:45 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnadero
If her knees started to ache after cruising for a little while with the pegs in the lower position, they'll probably get worse with the pegs higher up. There's really no "pushing up" going on by only raising the pegs; what will happen is that her legs will be bent at more of an angle at the knees.
Her knees never bothered her, but we recently added a new Sargent seat and the seat pan is larger than the stock seat. So the bigger seat pan seemed to get her under the thigh. We think that raising the foot pegs and increasing the angle would help with this issue. And also hoping for some secondary benefit of less stress on the upper body. If we don't get that secondary benefit we will try the bigger Barbacks.

FlagGS

'04 K1200RS
'07 R1200RT
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 2007, 1:35 am
Addict

Quote:
...but we recently added a new Sargent seat and the seat pan is larger than the stock seat. So the bigger seat pan seemed to get her under the thigh.
One thing I noticed with the Sargent - not only is there more surface area, but the seat is slightly higher than the stock one in any given position, so riding around in the low position for a longer length of time is (at least for me) more bearable, and using the upper position imparts an even more forward leaning riding stance.

Black 2002 K1200RS - "The Beast" (over 100k miles)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode